How will the humanrace survive....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ewwww.....I was in Newcastle in 1991 and went to a chippy and they had the option of battered mars bars. Turned that down straight away. Each to their own hey? lol

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Katsu curry toastie sounds pretty tasty TBH. No good for us, but let the non-diabetics enjoy it in moderation.

D

Deleted Account

I recently heard of deep fried cheese sandwiches and have seen deep fried mac and cheese
... neither in the UK
... yet

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:hungover::yuck::depressed:
Mind you I liked the bit at the bottom where it say “Sorry, it looks like you’re not the right age to use comments”! How do they know how young I am! :joyful::hilarious:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ewwww.....I was in Newcastle in 1991 and went to a chippy and they had the option of battered mars bars. Turned that down straight away. Each to their own hey? lol
I heard about them a few years later probably in about 1994-1995 when I was at Uni (in Durham - therefore quite close to Newcastle) and in the interests of scientific research we thought we'd try deep frying a mars bar - omg it made such a mess in the deep fat fryer - chocolate, caramel and batter everywhere, I'm not sure we ever got all the remnants of mars bar out of it!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haven't tried one, but there's a chippy just up the road from me with this sign outside. Who knows, one of the main things with T1 isn't avoiding carbs as such, it's managing the absorption of them, so maybe the batter would buffer it just fine.

cafe-piccante-450x337.jpg

Reactions: porl69

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one once wrapped in filo pastry and deep fried in a very posh restaurant in Fulham. Ian Hislop was at the next table but I don't think he had one..
It was ok but nothing special. Probably didn't help on the path to Type 2 though!

Reactions: pdmjoker and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I had one once wrapped in filo pastry and deep fried in a very posh restaurant in Fulham. Ian Hislop was at the next table but I don't think he had one..
It was ok but nothing special. Probably didn't help on the path to Type 2 though!
I can remember when I first started high school 7 years into my type 1 life, I was introduced to Mars Bars by a friend. Needless to say that was the start of my downfall into being a not very well controlled type 1. I will have the odd mini one now and again BUT a deep frien one OR one with pastry just doesn't feel/sound right lol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can remember when I first started high school 7 years into my type 1 life, I was introduced to Mars Bars by a friend. Needless to say that was the start of my downfall into being a not very well controlled type 1. I will have the odd mini one now and again BUT a deep frien one OR one with pastry just doesn't feel/sound right lol
Well to be fair it was in the late 90's when that sort of thing was all the rage...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I had a deep fried mars mar once. It was quite nice but once was enough for my waistline (not diabetic at the time).

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also in the 90s (student then) we used to microwave mars bars & pour over ice cream.

Now wondering how to bolus for that. Hmmmm

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the Mars drink sooooooooo sweet, and I had a sweet tooth then! :depressed: :stop:

K

Knikki

Only had a Mars Bar once, un-battered, and never again.

However that Katsu Chicken Curry toastie does look rather appealing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would LOVE to try a deep fried Mars Bar. But it would be a bucket list things-to-do-before-I-die kind of thing.
The thought of it as a food item, for general eating is repulsive, whereas a one-off experience is fascinating.

Mind you, those gloopy pink paste battered sausages you can get from chippies revolt me too. Whereas a quality sausage roll made from excellent sausage, and proper flakey pastry... mmm... mmmmmmm!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mars bars these days are poor imitations of how they used to be! Nice thick chocolate, actual toffee and a nice firm chocolatey mousse'y bit. I know....nostalgia!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a deep-fried mars bar many years ago before diabetes. It was actually really nice! It's the same batter as pancake mix, which goes well with chocolate, doesn't it? The chocolate had melted a bit and if I wasn't diabetic, I'd have them regularly! Oh and I'm Welsh, not Scottish by the way!

Reactions: Brunneria