How???

daisy3174

Hi all, I have been a member of this forum since my problems first began last year and it has been invaluable and the only thing that has got me through.I have had a long road to diagnosis, beginning wth awful bouts of oral thrush and many hypoglycemic episodes with no medication! I think I must be a kind of freak diabetic.Quick background, been a runner since the age of 15 (used to compete) always very active, in fact I dont stop lol, always ate healthily, dont drink ( but am a smoker despite my running).The question is How The Heck, at 38, have I got Diabetes, High BP, and High Cholesterol??? Started Glicazide for Type 2 (for the moment) they are doing genetic testing for MODY and other tests for LADA but said treatment wll still be needed no matter what. Also been put on Ramipril for high BP.I am really at a loss and very disheartened, my other half never exercised, is overweight,smokes,drinks and guess what, he is fine, there is no sense to it.Could years of prolonged stress be the cause of it all? :(
x

A

Anonymous

hi Daisy

I asked the same question when I was diagnosed at the age of 25. People on this forum here say you can't get hypos on metformin... well I proved that theory wrong. I guess I'm a bit of an odd ball then. :lol: One question I was going to ask you... have you been tested for pcos at all? I got diagnosed with pcos and diabetes on the same day. Apparently if you're a woman with pcos you are highly likely to become diabetic... I guess they're both hormonal conditions. Like you my blood pressure and cholesterol has been on a rollercoaster. I am on BP meds, but so far I've managed to stay off cholesterol meds. phew! But my endocrinologist has explained that blood pressure and cholesterol is also controlled by hormones... so it's all linked.

Wishing you the best... all you can do is just learn to live with it and make the best of every day. :D

daisy3174

Thanks Mep73, no I havent been tested for PCOS.Gosh Type 2 at 25, you beat me by miles! Have you always needed insulin?x

A

Anonymous

no... I started out on diet only and managed this for a couple of years before I needed meds. I was then put on pretty much all the oral meds. I had a horrible time on metformin as I had constant side effects... but they kept me on it for at least 5 years or more. I was only put on insulin at beginning of 2010 when they finally agreed to do diagnostic tests on me again as it seemed the oral meds hadn't been working on me for some time. I'm glad they did as it turns out my pancreas wasn't producing enough insulin... so it doesn't matter how much oral meds I take they won't work. I've been managing better on insulin too.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
daisy3174 said:
Hi all, I have been a member of this forum since my problems first began last year and it has been invaluable and the only thing that has got me through.I have had a long road to diagnosis, beginning wth awful bouts of oral thrush and many hypoglycemic episodes with no medication! I think I must be a kind of freak diabetic.Quick background, been a runner since the age of 15 (used to compete) always very active, in fact I dont stop lol, always ate healthily, dont drink ( but am a smoker despite my running).The question is How The Heck, at 38, have I got Diabetes, High BP, and High Cholesterol??? Started Glicazide for Type 2 (for the moment) they are doing genetic testing for MODY and other tests for LADA but said treatment wll still be needed no matter what. Also been put on Ramipril for high BP.I am really at a loss and very disheartened, my other half never exercised, is overweight,smokes,drinks and guess what, he is fine, there is no sense to it.Could years of prolonged stress be the cause of it all? :(
x

Have you got any diabetes in your family? It can be genetic (along with high cholesterol I believe).

Angie

daisy3174

Hi there yes my father has LADA diabetes,along with high blood pressure, (he has always exercised as well!) Its hard to pinpoint the exact time of onset of symptoms etc but I am wondering if it could be severe prolonged stress which may have triggered it all (not the cholesterol)x

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I know how you feel. All my friends ans family were shocked, I was very fit and ate healthily and had stopped smoking 8 years back.

Then I got the skin rashes, skin fungal infections and then thrush that wouldn't go away. I became tired, thirsty and stopped exercise because of muscle cramps.

Since my proper diagnosis the treatment has helped me feel better and although there are challenges the good days are amazing and I'm trying not to let the bad days get me down. I even re-started running as Iused to love this.

So hang in there, the good news is they're testing you for MODY AND LADA at the same time some if us had to wait awhile. I can't explain your BP/high chol though but am sure the docs are on it and this can be treated/managed like the Diabetes.

Feel free to ask any question or just rant, we all do hahaha!

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
p.s My parents are T2 and I have a T2 cousin but I'm the only one that is LADA. I'm going to be 35 next month :)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You know, I hold a lot of truck with the stress theory too. I have always been overweight despite always exercising tons, doing lots of sport at school, club tennis and badminton as an adult, walking, swimming etc etc. But I don't drink, have never smoked and always tried to eat healthily with very few takeaways, no fizzy drinks etc.

Then my partner had a breakdown and was diagnosed with depression and left - just as I had quit my job to take care of my parents who live with us. So as you can imagine, very stressful time. Shortly after I lost 2 1/2 stone virtually overnight although I was eating normally and all the symptoms started. I don't know family history as adopted, but my adopted parents both have type 2 so thankfully I have a long standing knowledge of the condition given I care for them both!

So like you, I have always wondered why me. They are now thinking I have slow onset type 1, LADA, Type 1.5 whatever and this week I hope to get some final answers and some darn meds that work as the oral stuff doesn't and I am fed up feeling so unwell. Incidentally OH did come back, got CBT treatment and is much much better which was a great relief as my career is as an independent financial adviser and I really did not want to have to get re-authorised and put my parents into care homes!

Ali

shop

Ali H said:
You know, I hold a lot of truck with the stress theory too. I have always been overweight despite always exercising tons, doing lots of sport at school, club tennis and badminton as an adult, walking, swimming etc etc. But I don't drink, have never smoked and always tried to eat healthily with very few takeaways, no fizzy drinks etc.

Then my partner had a breakdown and was diagnosed with depression and left - just as I had quit my job to take care of my parents who live with us. So as you can imagine, very stressful time. Shortly after I lost 2 1/2 stone virtually overnight although I was eating normally and all the symptoms started. I don't know family history as adopted, but my adopted parents both have type 2 so thankfully I have a long standing knowledge of the condition given I care for them both!

So like you, I have always wondered why me. They are now thinking I have slow onset type 1, LADA, Type 1.5 whatever and this week I hope to get some final answers and some darn meds that work as the oral stuff doesn't and I am fed up feeling so unwell. Incidentally OH did come back, got CBT treatment and is much much better which was a great relief as my career is as an independent financial adviser and I really did not want to have to get re-authorised and put my parents into care homes!

Ali

I agree Ali,

I think that Stress plays a big part in both T1 and T2 and in other endocrine disorders.

My situation is that I was originally diagnosed with hyperthyroid in the late 90's. I had been going through a very stressful time in work! ( coincidence I think not! ) In the 18 months prior to my T1 diagnosis I had had a very stressfull pregnancy (I found out I was T1 just before my sons 1st birthday)..... My Dad got prostrate cancer. My 91yr old Nana was ill and died ( the only parent I had known.) and I had to have my unborn childs heart scanned to rule out a congenital heart defect ( thank god he was ok ) ..........Again you can't tell me this didnt have an affect. This is why I get frustrated at the oh so narrowminded view that JUST OBESITY is to blame!!

Lucy.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
My doctor firmly believes in the stress factor! When I was diagnosed (no family history at all, not overweight and due to a yeast and wheat intollerance already living a low carb lifestyle) it was following a lenghty period of stress. I do have PCOs and had surgery - ovarian drilling - to enable me to have my two children. When my youngest was a week off being born he was diagnosed in the womb to be suffering from a major heart defect - to cut a long story short they decided that he must have a natural birth (I was having a C section) followed by immediate surgery. I was in labour for 4 days, suffered a major heamorrage (sorry abour spelling!) and had kidney failure. I had three blood transfusions over the next 6 days but the brilliant thing was that they had misdiagnosed my son and he was absolutely fine! :D
After this my mother became very ill and I spent 6 months travelling to see her most days in hospital (a three hour round trip away) - whilst working and looking after my children. Unfortunately she died and a short time later I saw my doctor as I thought I was suffering from exhaustion and after taking a blood test he rang me at work 2 days later and told me that I was diabetic. I asked him "why"? and he said that he believed that sometimes the body can't cope with the stress it is under and something gives.... aren't we all lucky? I think he may be onto something because shorty after the stress with my mother, my sister, who sadly had a miscarraige due to her husband leaving her (he was having a affair) found that her thyroid stopped working and she had to have it removed - again we have no family history of that either!

shop

Truffle said:
My doctor firmly believes in the stress factor! When I was diagnosed (no family history at all, not overweight and due to a yeast and wheat intollerance already living a low carb lifestyle) it was following a lenghty period of stress. I do have PCOs and had surgery - ovarian drilling - to enable me to have my two children. When my youngest was a week off being born he was diagnosed in the womb to be suffering from a major heart defect - to cut a long story short they decided that he must have a natural birth (I was having a C section) followed by immediate surgery. I was in labour for 4 days, suffered a major heamorrage (sorry abour spelling!) and had kidney failure. I had three blood transfusions over the next 6 days but the brilliant thing was that they had misdiagnosed my son and he was absolutely fine! :D
After this my mother became very ill and I spent 6 months travelling to see her most days in hospital (a three hour round trip away) - whilst working and looking after my children. Unfortunately she died and a short time later I saw my doctor as I thought I was suffering from exhaustion and after taking a blood test he rang me at work 2 days later and told me that I was diabetic. I asked him "why"? and he said that he believed that sometimes the body can't cope with the stress it is under and something gives.... aren't we all lucky? I think he may be onto something because shorty after the stress with my mother, my sister, who sadly had a miscarraige due to her husband leaving her (he was having a affair) found that her thyroid stopped working and she had to have it removed - again we have no family history of that either!

My gosh Truffle you have been through it! I am so glad that your litytle boy was OK! My Mum had fallots tetraology and because of this I had to have a scan to ensure he didnt have it. It was such a stressful time and such a relief when they said he was OK! I cannot imagine how it must have been for you! There must be a coralation between thje stressful times and the problems with thyroid, pancreas etc!!

We are lucky!! Joking aside Isnt it better that we carry the health burden and that our children are strong and healthy ( my son was 10lbs when he was born and is a big healthy boy now ) :D

Lucy.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, my boy weighed 10lbs when he was born and I continually thank my lucky stars that they got it wrong and he was fine - their only explanation was that his aorta had appeared squashed in the scan they did a week before he was born so they thought they would have to replace it with a shoulder vein! Whatever the outcomes I suffered I'm so glad, as with your son, it wasn't him. :D

daisy3174

Oh, you poor ladies, you have been through the mill :shock: When I sit and think back of all of the things that have happened with me, its unbelievable,will just mention the main things,my precious Nan died, left home at 18 to find my mum who I hadnt seen since age 6 as my Dad had custody as she left me in care, I began with 4 miscarriages, 1st one at 18 (had a baby girl at 21 :D ).Carried on through a violent relationship for many years,used terribly by my own mother and family.Father nearly died during an operation and left with copd from anaesthetic damage, Auntie died, Mother in law died.At the age of 32 found out I was pregnant (nearly died was on the pill and hadnt planned) Had a bouncing baby boy who for his first 18 months I knew something was wrong but not what.Turned out he has profound deafness in both ears which can not be cured.However I was determined to teach my beautiful ,amazing little boy to talk and with hours a day of playing and teaching, he can talk quite well.His consultants and audiologists are dumbfounded, they wanted us to have an implant into his skull, which I could not do to hm, so he only has hearing aids.I teach him at home so that he can have one to one.Also about 2 years ago my daughter began going off the rails, daily arguments(wouldnt wish a teenage daughter on anyone in this day and age)and last year, after certain things happened wth my daughter, something clicked in me (a sort of I cant take any more, I want something to swallow me up and end all of this) that is when my symptoms started, thought I was having severe panic attacks but they were hypos.I am certainly coming to believe that stress can be the trigger and it is very interesting that others think the same, perhaps it would make a good thread.But meanwhile to all of you stay strong and stay well xxx

A

Anonymous

geez :shock: so many of us go through the ringer hey. I have had a tough life too I suppose. I tend to hold in my emotions too, and do the "suck it up princess" and get on with things mostly. But I think this hasn't been helpful for me... as a few people have pointed out to me along the way (including a clinical psychologist) is that I internalise stuff and the stress comes out in way of illness in my body. Well there could be some truth in that.... not sure it's entirely true though? Seeing the psych was handy (although only a few months of visits).... but she said I've had too many what she considers major traumas in my life. A lot of them during my childhood too... wonder if that played a part in getting diabetes younger? Well I guess a lot of questions that I will never really know the answer to. I think the psych saw dollar signs when she heard my story... and perhaps I should still be seeing one... but I have too many other things going on right now.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Jeez, some seriously stressful lives going on here. It has to make you wonder what is attributable to what and just how much the human body can take before it goes wrong!

Take care everybody.

Ali

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is really sad that so many people have suffered trauma etc... in their lives and I don't think many people get through life unscathed. I think one of the problems is that as a parent (male or female) you have to cope with whatever life throws at you as there is always someone more important than you that needs something. The same can be said of carers generally and I think we do tend to internalise emotions and stress perhaps unhealthily. In the past I have often thought that screaming and shouting doesn't help the situation but perhaps I was wrong and you should scream, shout, hit a punchbag or something to let the pain / fear / stress out. My daughter has exzema and whenever she is very stressed her whole body is covered in it but as soon as the stress goes (i.e exams) it vanishes!
I don't think anyone can blame their diabetes or other ailments only on stress but I do think in certain cases it contributes.

daisy3174

Yes there definately seems to be a pattern out there, Truffle you mention your daughters eczema, I know someone with psoriarsis who is exactly the same under stress.I wonder if there are any men out there who have been diagnosed after or during stressful periods? As I would say (in general) women are far more easly stressed than men, as men seem to have an amazing ability to switch off during these times x