Howdy

Dollyrocker

Hello,

I'm an old timer Type 1 (14 years now)

I'm hoping to pick up some tips about maintaining a better HBA1c, I managed to get mine down to 6.4 after being in the 8/9s for the last 10 years but it has somehow crept back up to 8 when I was tested a couple of weeks ago.

I'm carb counting and being (generally) careful about my control but something's going wrong.

My doctor was talkign about putting me on a contiinuous blood sugar monitor and is also making noises about a pump which I'm quite reluctant about so I will be doing some reading and asking a few questions about those no doubt.

Anyway, hello to everyone, I look forward to reading everyone elses experiences and opinions on all things diabetes related :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hello old timer :p

have you heard or been on the DAFNE course?

it stands for dose adjustment for normal eating? i recently went on this to learn how to better adjust my insulin, correct higher doses etc

It was the best thing i ever did honest!

My sugars used to be in the late teens-twenties with a hba1c no lower than 12.1% since i'd been diagnosed.. it' now at 8.7% after only 5 weeks so bound to improve even more when i shake th history of the higher readings!

i'm also aiming to get a pump, i've read alot on these and from my point of view it's what i want to help be better control my diabetes and generally help mefeel better about having diabetes too!

there's an insulin pump section here so have a read of peoples views and maybe even have a post to get a good feel about how it may be good for you as everyone is different!

a continous glucose monitor sounds like agood idea to better see where your problem areas are and how your BG's act through the day then as you'll have a better view you can start from one problem area and improve until you get your control back down to your very good result of around 6

i'm sure youll learn so much just posting and reading on here! i sure have! i pretty much come here everyday for a good read or ask a question and now even have experience to help other people too which i'm sure you have with your 14 years of experience!

:)

ebony

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
Just a Type 2 here, but wanted to welcome you anyway. This is a very friendly and informative community - I hope to see you around some more :)

Dollyrocker

Hello, thanks for the welcome.

I was on the waiting list for Dafne but it took so long I worked it out for myself in the end!

I think my higher hba1c may have been to do with the fact I was trying to adjust my basal and was injecting too little for a while. I'm trying hard to get back on top of things but I'm thinking now that a pump may not be a bad idfea if they're willing to give me one. I just don't like the idea of being attached to something all the time