Hubby's joined me now and has other health issues

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not new to the forum and have been officially T2 for about 4 months. Hubby has had ongoing health issues and recently had a series of tests including spirometry, a chest xray and blood tests.

He was diagnosed firstly with hypothyroidism a few weeks ago which explains why he's had absolutely no energy and been feeling awful for over a year. He had been to the doctor about this over a year ago but our previous doctor was useless and most things were put down to my hubby's age! :mad: Thankfully this doctor retired and we now have a very thorough female doctor. So, he's now on levothyroxine. Thankfully the spirometry and chest xray came back as fine and no issues :)

He has now been diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure and raised cholesterol - so prescribed ramipril and she has discussed the possibility that he may need to go onto statins in the new year. He's gone out and bought an Omron Blood Pressure monitor (I have high blood pressure too which is gradually coming down) so we can both test at home. He's also bought an Accu Chek monitor (one with just the cassette so no need for separate test strips etc).

His problem at the moment, as well as being down and angry, is what he can eat . . . . he needs to lower cholesterol, salt and carbs as well as sugar. He loves "junk" food so pasties, pies and most savouries are out. He likes most meat especially beef and also fish. He's not a lover of veggies or wholemeal bread either. He is fairly aware of what he should be eating and having already been diagnosed and educated myself I can help him. However, any suggestions would be welcome as he also works nights so just another thing to take into consideration.

He has to book a review and follow up with his doctor in mid January to check if the meds need adjusting for the hypothryroidism as well as the blood pressure.

So, we're both going to be having our 1st Diabetic Xmas this year!

Reactions: 4 people

Lord_Lien

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"So, we're both going to be having our 1st Diabetic Xmas this year!" got mine this year! Be interesting as I'm still at that phase where I'm not sure what I can eat, but I know 1 or 2 chocolates from the Roses/Quality Street tin is pushing the boat out.... might save it for booze to be honest!

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

However, any suggestions would be welcome as he also works nights so just another thing to take into consideration.

Given that your hubby works nights and at this time of year there is so little daylight, I'd like to suggest you both consider getting your Vitamin D levels checked with your G.P.

Edited due to inappropriate advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd echo the advice about Vitamin D3 - it can also be connected to hypothyroidism (it was the direct cause in my case) and Type 2.

Reactions: 2 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd echo the advice about Vitamin D3 - it can also be connected to hypothyroidism (it was the direct cause in my case) and Type 2.

I didn't know this but we don't really know much about hypothyroidism so thank you

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely look at D3.

You have my commiserations.
Stick with it (i know you will, anyway), but his anger is totally understandable!

Might be worth you reading up a bit on the Five Stages of Grief.
I suspect you are both going to see most of them.
I know I did.

The hardest think i found was thinking of all the can'ts.
It will take time until he can see them, but there will be positives, it just takes time to see them.

Reactions: 2 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I
"So, we're both going to be having our 1st Diabetic Xmas this year!" got mine this year! Be interesting as I'm still at that phase where I'm not sure what I can eat, but I know 1 or 2 chocolates from the Roses/Quality Street tin is pushing the boat out.... might save it for booze to be honest!

It's a bit of a minefield when you're first diagnosed as regards to do's and don'ts. From what I've found out so far, red wine (in moderation) is one of the "better" alcoholic drinks along with dry white wine. I also have some diet mixers although I will just drink these as soft sugar free drinks.

Do you like dark chocolate? I started a thread some time ago which I think was called Chocoholics Anonymous or something like that. Browse the diet and food based forums as you should find some good advice on what you CAN eat and drink over Xmas.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, Dark Chocolate is excellent and low-carb. I have Green & Blacks 85% Dark as it's very smooth.