Humalog 25

Libbyloo

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'd be grateful for any advice.

I'm type 2 and was diagnosed on New years eve of this year. At first my GP started me on metformin 500mg and gliclazide (80mg split 1/2 at breakfast and lunch and 1 at dinner). I've always been slim, but am now skinny and BMI of 18. The GP referred me to the hospital and they've tested for thyroid, celiac, carried out a scan of the pancreas, gall bladder, kidneys and liver. All results appear to indicate that there is no over riding problem that may be causing the weight loss (still waiting for the celiac test results). At an initial appointment with the nurse and dietician, they stopped the metformin, so since the middle of March, I've just been on gliclazide.

The consultant suggests using humalog at my main meal (dinner) as my weight is still falling. If I eat very low or little carbs, my bg 2 hours after meals are around 5 to 7. If I have any pasta, rice or potatoes in any reasonable quantity my bg goes from 9 to 14 depending on what I have. I guess her theory is that it will allow me to eat more carbs and then be able to put on some weight.

I'm not overly keen to go on to insulin, but I understand the reasoning in that it may help me to put on some weight or at least get it to stabilise. I asked if there were any other options and the consultant's advice was to try humalog and she said her concern was for my weight loss and to help give my pancreas a rest and hopefully extend its life (my elderly mother has just gone onto insulin after medication for 7 years, but she was diagnosed at 73, whilst I'm 49).

I'm going to see the nurse and dietician next Monday to discuss my diet, measuring carbs and matching them to the dosage in addition to learning how to use the humalog. I've really no idea what to expect nor what to ask and I wondered if anyone could perhaps give me a few tips, advice etc (sorry this is a bit longwinded, but I've been mulling it over and am not really sure what's the best thing to do).

I'm also a bit wary of the dietician as at the second appointment with her she suggested I only snack when my bg goes below 4 and that I need to test myself before I snack (usually nuts or oatcakes), which is impossible if I'm in meetings etc at work.

Thanks,

Libbyloo

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I am giving this another 'bump' as it sounds a little like my situation. :shock: :)

I would be really interested in some feedback too. 8)

Libbyloo

Hi there,

Sorry I've not updated since I went to see the DN and dietician, as I've had a few ups and downs to say the least. When I went to my appointment, both the DN & dietician couldn't understand why I was being put on insulin as I'm not on maximum gliclazide at the moment and spoke to the consultant who agreed to the dosage of gliclazide being increased, but if when my hb 1 (whatever it is) is next tested and I'm not below 7 (my last test was 8.4 down from 10.7 when I was diagnosed) then it would be sensible to go on to humalog 25 as this may protect my pancreas. (since then I was copied into a letter the consultant sent to my GP and she thinks I may be LADA/type2 and was suggesting insulin as it often improves control etc in this case).

Later in that appointment, the dietician got confirmation from the lab that I am celiac (hence the rapid weight loss) and at the moment I'm waiting to see a gastro enterologist (in June) and then I may need a biopsy (camera down my gullet), but until then I've been advised to keep to my usual diet. I'm now on 40mg glic with breakfast and lunch and 120mg glic with dinner at night. My bg levels have become a bit erratic (and have tended to go higher rather than lower) and my weight is plummeting fast. My back locked up last week, so I was very inactive, which I'm sure has not helped my bg levels. To say the least, I'm getting tired and stressed out about all this as no matter what I seem to do, I can't keep my weight stable nor my bg levels at an acceptable level for me. I'm off to see the dietician again on Monday ( who thankfully was much more supportive last time I went and was trying to help me to work out how I can increase my food intake). I'm either going to have to ask for an increase in glic or throw the towel in and go on to humalog as I can't keep juggling high bg levels and continued weight loss. I'm back working full time, but some days it's a real struggle as I feel really lousy and tired.

I'm sorry to whinge on and I know I will get there in the end, it's just really wearing me down at the moment, but if/when I go on humalog, I'll certainly post about it, in case it helps you.

Libbyloo

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Libbyloo.

Number one priority is for you to de-stress and do what your HCP's suggest. If you need to go on Insulin or anything else for at least a while to settle things down then do that. You have too many things going on for anybody here to advise you.

I almost had to go on Insulin because of the anti Cancer drugs I had to take but eventually things settled down and are now Ok, let the Diabetes take a back seat and concentrate on your well being in the other areas, then take control. The Insulin will help you do that. Take your time.

Look after No 1 and let us know how you get on.

Ken