Humulin u500 Insulin in a pump anyone in UK ?

Adamuk1001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi.. I've been on Humulin U500 via pump for bout 7 years now after having almost no control using any sort of insulin via pen or pump due to insulin intolerence however , with the U500 ( which is a highly concentrated insulin 500%) and the medtronic pump I am able to achieve single figure readings. But now my consultant tells me that Lilly have discontinued making the insulin in vials to refill pump, and now only offer pens. For whatever reason my body will not use the insulin in a pen , only a pump.
So my plea is , is anyone out there still able to get Humulin U500 in vial form or, am I destined to try and live with readings of 30 + ?
My consultant says I'm the only patient he has with this problem.
Anyone help ?

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I can't offer any help except to suggest contacting the drug and/or pump manufacturers? Perhaps your consultant could do that, or work through some other professional in the field who might know. There might be an academic dept in a university that has gathered info on it.

I can empathise, because I've had similar "you're the only one who has this problem" comments from (other) consultants over the years. It's a factual statement but it doesn't help with your worries.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Adamuk1001 ,

I don't pump. But "U500" seems a high concentration of insulin. Are you prescribed any other oral diabetes medication?

What I will do is tag in @Juicyj . & @himtoo who do pump . Plus. @tim2000s who may help?

Reactions: Jenny15

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Adamuk1001 i use the pump but am on novorapid with my 640g.

Unfortunately Medtronic will not be able to advise on insulin availability - I would suggest contacting IDDT - InDependent Diabetes Trust, they have a helpline you can call 01604 622837, open 9-4.30pm Mon to Fri, they keep up to date information in insulin availability.

There’s some information on high strength insulin’s on their website too, but should be able to point you in the right direction if your consultant can’t help.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just a thought as i have done this myself before....................what about extracting the humulin u500 from the pen cartridge with a syringe , and then filling the pump resevoir from the syringe..............untidy and a PITA but it has worked for me .

Adamuk1001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm really grateful for everyone's help.
Yes it is a very concentrated insulin apparently because I'm insulin intorelent.
Not sure how the manufacturer ( Lilly & co) can justify simply saying that's it... can't have it anymore !
I have thought about the idea of extracting the insulin from a pen and then filling the pump reservoir , needless to say the consultant is not in favour. But it's alright for these consultants saying no can't do that but I'm the one who will be suffering.
Anyway thanks all and I will try contacting the IDDT.
Adam

Reactions: himtoo

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Adamuk1001 - stuff the consultant - often consultants know nothing, and in this case that's very true. Of course you can load a pump from a pen.

Many people use pens to fill pump reservoirs - it's a standard practice! The easiest way is to stick the reservoir adapter on the pump reservoir with the reservoir piston fully plunger, then simply use the pen plunger to push the insulin in. That's never been a problem for me - I used the technique when I wasn't on an NHS pump.

If that doesn't work, you can just stick a pen needle on the pen and inject into the reservoir.

Lilly will be stopping making vials available due to the lack of use in vials, making it commercially non-viable.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.. I've been on Humulin U500 via pump for bout 7 years now after having almost no control using any sort of insulin via pen or pump due to insulin intolerence however , with the U500 ( which is a highly concentrated insulin 500%) and the medtronic pump I am able to achieve single figure readings. But now my consultant tells me that Lilly have discontinued making the insulin in vials to refill pump, and now only offer pens. For whatever reason my body will not use the insulin in a pen , only a pump.
So my plea is , is anyone out there still able to get Humulin U500 in vial form or, am I destined to try and live with readings of 30 + ?
My consultant says I'm the only patient he has with this problem.
Anyone help ?

Adam - I note from your profile you are T1, and pumping, but your post is in the T2 on Insulin area of the forum?

You may find you could have more responses from T1 pumpers, if your post was in either the T1 or the Pumping areas of the forum.

If you would like your thread moved, any Mod can do that for you, if you just choose where you'd like it to go and let us know. :)