ButterflyWine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi! For several months now I have been experiencing severe nausea and really bad headaches. I have had every test going re the nausea and everything came back clear. I have chronic migraine so the headaches were put down to that and I have been referred back to my neurologist. I also have Fibromyalgia and believed I was having a relapse as I have been so tired and falling asleep at my desk during the day and sleeping as much as possible. A while ago I had Jardiance added to my Metformin.

To tie this all together, I Googled all of my symptoms and it came back with hyperglycaemia. So I bought a glucose monitor and tested today and my fasting level this morning was 10.6. I called the doctor and spoke with a paramedic who said 10.6 isn't high and that they don't really accept random readings so I have to wait another week for a blood test at the surgery to try to get this confirmed and treated.

Can anyone weigh in on this? Is 10.6 hyperglycaemic? Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms? I'm getting desperate!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi! For several months now I have been experiencing severe nausea and really bad headaches. I have had every test going re the nausea and everything came back clear. I have chronic migraine so the headaches were put down to that and I have been referred back to my neurologist. I also have Fibromyalgia and believed I was having a relapse as I have been so tired and falling asleep at my desk during the day and sleeping as much as possible. A while ago I had Jardiance added to my Metformin.

To tie this all together, I Googled all of my symptoms and it came back with hyperglycaemia. So I bought a glucose monitor and tested today and my fasting level this morning was 10.6. I called the doctor and spoke with a paramedic who said 10.6 isn't high and that they don't really accept random readings so I have to wait another week for a blood test at the surgery to try to get this confirmed and treated.

Can anyone weigh in on this? Is 10.6 hyperglycaemic? Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms? I'm getting desperate!
That 10.6 is not panic level, but for a fasting reading is indicative of something developing. The blood test the Doc wants will give a better idea of how your blood sugars have been over a period os about 3 months, and is more reliable for diagnosis than just the handheld meter reading. A test you could try before then is to take a reading just before eating, then another reading 2 hours later. If the sugar level rises by more than 2 then it reinforces possible disregulation. Be careful to wash and dry your finger before the tests. The home tests are only indicative, and the Doc will use lab results to base any diagnosis on. You may get another spot check in the surgery using their equipment.

Lillytan

Hi, I’m very new to all of this. My first test I was at 9.7 the second was 8 something (blood taken at Drs surgery) yesterday I bought my own blood tester and it read 10.5. I also started reading up on hyperglycaemia. The chart that came with my tester states 10.5 is high.
I took mine again fasting this morning and was the lowest I’ve been at 7.0.
So my suggestion would be to try to go either low or no carb for a day to two to see if that helps you at all? I’m now drinking tea with milk so will test in a while to see if the milk makes a big difference or not.

I know it’s really hard to feel alone when dealing with this and you are unsure of the people you go to for support and advice. I got into quite a stressed state last night when trying to figure out good versus bad foods to eat…one said apples and banana are great for type 2 another said avoid them completely!
So, In answer to your question I would say 10.6 is definitely high and could certainly be causing you some health issues.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hyperglycaemic just means you have higher than normal blood glucose levels.
At that moment in time it just means that you are in T2 diabetic range. I have seen a lot higher and I would concur with @Oldvatr that using your monitor around meals is better management and will tell you which carbs are giving these results.
If you limit your carbs gradually, it will be a start.
And Google, Dietdoctor.com, you can get some great ideas and plans for low carb meals.

Stay safe.