Type 1 Hypo awareness

Jenny1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went to see my gp yesterday as I’ve had no hypo awareness on my last two hypos I’m very concerned as I know how dangerous this can be he told me not to worry as when your sugars are low it will always wake you up I find this odd as I have had diabetes for 34 years now and have gone unconscious in my sleep quite concerned that a gp can tell me that I am safe with hypo unawareness any help or advice would be appreciated here thank you

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Jenny1974 - firstly hypo unawareness is a big deal and your GP is wrong. You really need to see your diabetes clinic about this as they can recommend some ways to improve your awareness (hopefully based on recent research).

It is likely that they will contact the DVLA, as it is considered dangerous to drive without hypo awareness.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First, welcome to the forum.
Your concern is entirely justified. Avoiding over-night hypos is an essential part of managing things if you are a type 1 diabetic. General practitioners tend to know precious little about living with type 1. May I ask how long ago you were diagnosed and do you attend a hospital clinic ? Do you have access to a DSN ?
Edited to add - Sorry, tim2000s - you beat me to it. I agree that a DSN is the best person to help in this situation. I had missed the fact that Jenny1974 has been diagnosed for 34 years. Sorry, Jenny.

Last edited:

Jenny1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your quick reply I’m suffering with diabetic retinopathy too so I don’t drive anyway I was just concerned that the gp thought I was safe like this I have lots of diabetic complications now gastroparesis where my stomach is paralysed too the gp wants me to have a gastric bypass I am so scared as I’m not great with operations only those that are done under a local anasthetic thank you for your help just wished my gp was more supportive

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jenny1974 I am tagging in @catapillar in regards to your hypo awareness as she can tell you more about this.