hypo experience.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Hey there.

Today I had a hypo. I'm just wondering what other experience is. For me my mind/thinking seem to stay crystal clear, my body is what seems to let me down.
I feel like a fraud because even though I know I am having a hypo and need help, my mind is also saying "there is nothing wrong, just carry on." Today I was physically shaking, as in the people who were helping me told me they could see me shaking, my face went very pale, I couldn't walk straight, I honestly thought I'd throw up. But my mind just kept on at me that I was OK and could go teach my next lesson. Even when I was asked "are you OK to take your next lesson?" my mind screamed at me "YES!" lucky for me the person reinforced the question and I said no. Start of a massive guilt trip, but that's another story. It took me a good hour and a half to feel able to teach again.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this with a mild hypo?

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it a mild hypo? I was having flashbacks to my last hypo where I dropped from 7 to 2 in 30 minutes. I experienced the same symptoms but I was also struggling to form orderly thoughts.

I was incapacitated for about 40 minutes & felt rough all day. You did the right thing stopping & treating it rather than ploughing on.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there.

Today I had a hypo. I'm just wondering what other experience is. For me my mind/thinking seem to stay crystal clear, my body is what seems to let me down.
I feel like a fraud because even though I know I am having a hypo and need help, my mind is also saying "there is nothing wrong, just carry on." Today I was physically shaking, as in the people who were helping me told me they could see me shaking, my face went very pale, I couldn't walk straight, I honestly thought I'd throw up. But my mind just kept on at me that I was OK and could go teach my next lesson. Even when I was asked "are you OK to take your next lesson?" my mind screamed at me "YES!" lucky for me the person reinforced the question and I said no. Start of a massive guilt trip, but that's another story. It took me a good hour and a half to feel able to teach again.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this with a mild hypo?

Hi,

I've had a few in my time. were you anyone able to test your BGs during this incident?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On of my hypo symptoms is the inability to focus. I don't mean visually, I mean to concentrate on one thing.
I have learnt to keep hypo treatments close to me all the time after getting distracted so many times en route to the kitchen - I have noticed the bed needs making, the bath needs cleaning, the living room needs hoovering, a book needs reading, ... and finally made it to the larder leaving half finished tasks in my wake. I think it is a bit like your mind telling you there is nothing wrong.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you test your bs level ? For a mild hypo of around 3.5 I have some physical symptoms but I’m totally fine and not affected much I just take some glucose.

For more serious ones of less than 3.0 I have more severe physical symptoms (shaky and weak, drenched in sweat and when this happen I also get this feeling of despair that life is not worth living (?) but at the same time I know that the feeling will pass. My mind is still ok though and I can think clearly and I can function.

I only had one incident where I though my mind was going and couldn’t think clearly but strangely for me that was before I started insulin treatment.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Hi,

I've had a few in my time. were you anyone able to test your BGs during this incident?

I use the Libre and Maiomaio so had that on my phone. I couldn't even undo the zip of my bag to get my blood testing kit.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you test your bs level ? For a mild hypo of around 3.5 I have some physical symptoms but I’m totally fine and not affected much I just take some glucose.

For more serious ones of less than 3.0 I have more severe physical symptoms (shaky and weak, drenched in sweat and when this happen I also get this feeling of despair that life is not worth living (?) but at the same time I know that the feeling will pass. My mind is still ok though and I can think clearly and I can function.

I only had one incident where I though my mind was going and couldn’t think clearly but strangely for me that was before I started insulin treatment.
I've just started on a new med, and that is what is causing these hypos. My libre was showing under 4.0 I have a bag with all my stuff in it. had trouble was I couldn't get it unzipped straight away. I had another one as I was cooking and didn't even notice until I got an alert from my Maiomaio.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just started on a new med, and that is what is causing these hypos. My libre was showing under 4.0 I have a bag with all my stuff in it. had trouble was I couldn't get it unzipped straight away. I had another one as I was cooking and didn't even notice until I got an alert from my Maiomaio.
I am a bit confused. Your profile information page says type 2, and only Metformin-type meds. Has this changed?

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I had an appointment with my consultant on Friday. After leaving his office I sat in the waiting room waiting for bloods. Idly checked my Libre. 3.9. Double checked with finger prick. 3.2. Hmmm, I thought and wandered back to consultants office, knocked on door and waved monitor at him. 'Look, I'm hypoing. Could you tell? I couldn't.'

Consultant went off like a rocket. Grabbed random nurses passing by and yelled sugar, lucozade, juice help, she's going hypo. I wandered back to waiting room chair, sat down and ate jelly babies from my bag. The gaggle followed me back and dispersed when gluco stuff appeared.

I don't get it. I was reasonably calm. It's a hypo. They happen. You only panic if you can't get help. This is a Diabetes Centre, aren't they used to hypos? Consultant has emailed me since, for blood test results. Can't help wondering if he was also checking I'm still alive.

I should mention I have recently lost my under-4 hypo symptoms, and now rely on the shower of sweat that hits me at about 3. Which is also where I start losing mental function, annoyingly.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also get this feeling of despair that life is not worth living (?) but at the same time I know that the feeling will pass
I used to get similar feelings with hypos, kind of very quick-onset depressive feelings. I mentioned it to my DSN and she was very dubious and said she'd never heard of that before, as if I was making it up.

Reactions: michita

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine tend to happen overnight. Vivid nightmares and extreme sweating are the worst bits, usually about 4am, and I seem to have a huge BG rise immediately afterwards. I've started to take a reading just before bed and anything around 5 or below is a warning. Oddly, alcohol late on seems to counteract it...adopting that strategy as I write...

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am a bit confused. Your profile information page says type 2, and only Metformin-type meds. Has this changed?
It changed two weeks ago, forgot to update will sort that asap.