Hypo in the sea

wookie

Hi does anyone know what i can use to treat hypos when i go windsurfing. I have thought about lucozade gel pacs can these be used without water.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
From the Official Lucozade Sports Shop.

During intense exercise, one gel should be consumed every 30 mins with approximately 150ml of fluid. Fuel gels can also be taken before or after exercise as a way of topping up or replacing the carbohydrates within the muscles. The best way to consume your gel is to squeeze the gel from the bottom of the pack and roll it in half towards the top.

So, yes it does need fluid as well.

Check out the site at this link: Cut and paste as it's a Commercial Site.

lucozadeshop.com/body-fuel-gel/03617.html

Why not just use Glucotabs or Glucogel, should be easy to carry in a pouch and don't need water.

Ken

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
''There is no physiological reason to take water with a carbohydrate gel. However, due to the consistency of carbohydrate gels, it is advised that water is consumed to enhance the product experience.''
From the lucozade site.
So you don't actually need the water but many people find that they gag , and then feel nauseous if they try taking the gels without water. Gels have the advantage that they are more concentrated than the tablets, a lucozade gel(45g sachet) contains 30g carb which may actually be too much; a lucozade tab has only 3g carb, they are great for drip feeding but not so great if you need to take more than one for a hypo. I also find that I need to take the tablets with water when exercising otherwise I end up choking on them.
There are loads of different makes of gels each one delivers a different amount of carbs.(google sports/energy gels, there are many online shops which sell a variety)
I know of one,( high five Isogel ) which is a bit more liquid and is designed to be taken without water. It has 22g carb.(and some caffeine which is supposed to make it work quicker) I haven't tried them. I think I'd want to try it out on a hypo in a 'safe' situation first. I know of runners that like them for fueling.
As Ken says there are the alternatives designed for hypos.
Glucogel(hypostop) is quite thick (so potentially the same problem as the sports gels) and is expensive, though you may be able to get it on prescription. There is a cheaper and (in my opinion) more fluid, alternative called glucopulse. It's available here in France (distributed by Roche/Accu-chek/) at about 1E a gel (10 carbs) but it doesn't seem to have crossed the channel. (don't know if any of the online pharmacies would send to the UK)

mrsb2b

what about wrapped sweets such as maom strips... i used them on holiday in a waterpark as they dont get soggy so you can put them in your costume pocket .... the glucozade tablets didnt do so well in the water !!!!!

badmedisin

Do you test your blood sugar and have a snack before you start?
Glucogel (hypostop) is in handy waterproof tubes but you'd probably need a couple of them if you actually go hypo. Also bear in mind that if you have a hypo you need to get out of the sea straight away. The effects of a hypo can last for maybe 45 minutes. So even if you feel ok, you can't necessarily be trusted to make sensible decisions or drive or surf until you've had a bit of a rest!

josh s

what about puting lucozade in those hydration backpacks- i think there called camel bladders? i think you can get them from halfrods in the cycling section or the army and navy store.