Hypo on pump help.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started pumping just today. My bg is now 4.4. Am at a friends and don't have my booklet with me and taking a complete mind blank!

If I go below 4 should I suspend or do a temp basal? Do I treat with 15g carbs as I usually would? Do I enter the correction carbs into the pump?

I'm probably not going to sleep as I'll be recording my bgs hourly for my nurse tomo.

Help appreciated!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started pumping just today. My bg is now 4.4. Am at a friends and don't have my booklet with me and taking a complete mind blank!

If I go below 4 should I suspend or do a temp basal? Do I treat with 15g carbs as I usually would? Do I enter the correction carbs into the pump?

I'm probably not going to sleep as I'll be recording my bgs hourly for my nurse tomo.

Help appreciated!

Keep testing, and if in doubt, eat something suitable would be my guess (yes, guess!)

I wonder if @Juicyj is around to help....

Reactions: sjm1308 and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sjm1308

As you have only just started pumping today and it's bedtime I would err on the side of caution and put a temp basal pattern on now and knock it back for an hour, also have a 10g snack too, can you set an alarm for 3am to test then ?

Just as a point I tend to take action whenever going below 4.7, as I drive I prefer to try and maintain a safety net. It's best to recap with your DSN tomorrow as based on how your levels perform tonight they may want to review your ratios.

Reactions: sjm1308

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport

Help appreciated!
If you go below 4 then treat as Hypo, just like normal.

1. Consume 20g of fast acting carbs
Hit those Jelly Babies.. Er Baby!

2. After 20 minutes, re-check your blood sugars and if you are still going down then repeat step 1

3. If on a pump you do not need to consume extra ordinary carbs like biscuits after your hypo treatment.

Never apply a bolus correction after Hypo symptoms

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Juicyj and @Capt-Slog thank you both so much!

No worries hope you are ok tonight.

Just a thought with it being your first day but any chance you could have any residual basal left over in your system ?

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took my usual dose last PM and skipped my dose this morning..
No worries hope you are ok tonight.

Just a thought with it being your first day but any chance you could have any residual basal left over in your system ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @sjm1308 what basal were you using and how are you now ?

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Levimer. I went to 3.2mmol. I took 15g fast acting carbs and put a temp basal 50% for one hour. My nurse asked me to record my bgs 2hourly overnight so I'm not worried about getting to sleep I'm happy to keep monitoring but I'm wondering if I should suspend delivery completely until I'm above 5
Hi @sjm1308 what basal were you using and how are you now ?

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20 mins after treating my hypo I'm now 5.2mmol. I'm thinking I'll just keep the temp basal on for the night?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry I wasn’t around to catch up - how did you get on last night ?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
20 mins after treating my hypo I'm now 5.2mmol. I'm thinking I'll just keep the temp basal on for the night?
Hope you are having a smoother ride today. When you have got the basal bit right it will be better I promise! Remember that the absorption of insulin from a pump is more efficient than jabs so you may find you need to take the hourly rate down. Your nurse will have taken this into consideration when setting things up and I hope she will support you through adjusting things. Pump helplines are usually good too as they tend to be manned by former diabetic nurses.
When I go hypo simply unplugging the pump and missing 1 dose can bring me up as my hypos now tend to be less drastic and much shorter duration unless its a bolus error. I would treat with the fast acting stuff then 10g starchy carb if it was too low though.
Someone linked to this article on basal testing btw which I think is useful:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50711652

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ended up running a temp basal 50% until 4am. I watched the trend on my libre and once it started to rise I stopped the temp basal. After the hypo I was pretty steady all night! Itll take a bit of getting used too. Thanks for last night!
Sorry I wasn’t around to catch up - how did you get on last night ?

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! When I was on mdi I didnt panic over hypos but i sure did last night! In my head i thought the insulin is constant so i should suspend the pump but i couldn't remember what my nurse had told me-to suspend or temp basal! Anyway by chance what I did worked. I recorded my bgs hourly since starting and she is going to see me today to make adjustments
Hope you are having a smoother ride today. When you have got the basal bit right it will be better I promise! Remember that the absorption of insulin from a pump is more efficient than jabs so you may find you need to take the hourly rate down. Your nurse will have taken this into consideration when setting things up and I hope she will support you through adjusting things. Pump helplines are usually good too as they tend to be manned by former diabetic nurses.
When I go hypo simply unplugging the pump and missing 1 dose can bring me up as my hypos now tend to be less drastic and much shorter duration unless its a bolus error. I would treat with the fast acting stuff then 10g starchy carb if it was too low though.
Someone linked to this article on basal testing btw which I think is useful:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50711652

Reactions: Chas C