Hypo question

Garymurday87

Evening all . We have just done my sons bs test and he was 3.9 (hypo) just for interest as he was on the border we re tested him on a different finger and he was 4.4 then again we re tested him and he was 4.7 . So decided against treating the hypo reading.

Why was his readings all different . Would you of treated the hypo

D

Diabeticliberty

Personally I would have treated him immediately. I would not have conducted a second test as the result for the first one would have warranted immediate action, at least in my own opinion. How old is your son? Does he recognise and communicate hypoglycemic symptoms to you when his blood sugars get low and if so how did he react to this event?

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Garymurday87 Generally different tests will have a variance, it might be worth running a test on it by using the control solution for your meter - if you don't have this the meter manufacturer should be able to send you it. I only do one test and depending on when I last ate and how much insulin is on board, I would make my decision on these factors. So no insulin on board and a borderline reading would just warrant a small carby snack so a biscuit, insulin on board and borderline then treat as a hypo.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. @Garymurday87 . Have you been given a specific reading that constitutes your son being hypo?
Any one of those 3 readings in my opinion is hypo and required action.
Obviously I don't know your sons insulin regime and as @Juicyj points out there are other factors to consider, IOB, time since last meal but even considering all reasons for these readings I would think it a good idea to have something to raise your sons levels and check again to make sure he isn't dropping further.
Take care.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I would agree with the above.. It's not so much where you are.. But where you could be heading?

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Would it be possible that one's bs comes back on its own from lower levels, maybe not to low but from, like, 3.7? I am also still learning about hypos so I was just wondeting if there are such experiences.
Nat

Reactions: sandra curtis

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Natt As a general rule no - you always treat as a hypo.

However your body 'can' release hormones to stop you from going too low and the liver can kick into action by dumping glucose into the blood. If this happens while you are sleeping and you don't wake during the hypo it means that you end up waking high and with a sore head. I stress the word can though as this will not always happen and it's advisable to always carry glucose and treat hypos, also to ensure that you keep good hypo awareness by treating.

Reactions: Natt

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1

However your body 'can' release hormones to stop you from going too low and the liver can kick into action by dumping glucose into the blood. If this happens while you are sleeping and you don't wake during the hypo it means that you end up waking high and with a sore head. I stress the word can though as this will not always happen and it's advisable to always carry glucose and treat hypos, also to ensure that you keep good hypo awareness by treating.
Thanks @Juicyj !

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

To add to this, the body only responds to hypos when you have already bust through the 3.5 level and are more likely to be below 3, so it's best to avoid this as much as possible.

Reactions: therower and Natt

Garymurday87

Jack is 2 and half so doesn't tell us yet if he is unwell. There are signs we are learning with him. He goes quiet, very clammy and sweaty . Anything below 4 is a hypo for jack . His ideal number is between 4 and 8 . We only retested him as he was 3.9 and not showing any of his normal symptoms. His machine has only jusy be re checked with the blue dye. Thanks for the reply