Hypo Stops: Our Chance to be Chocoholics

Tinkerbelly

lionrampant said:
Post your hypo foods here. I just had one of those Cadbury Creme Egg "Twisted" bars. Bloody hell they're nice. :lol:

I love Ferrero myself lol. Great hypo stoppers. Also M&M's :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
D@mn it Lion ,I'm trying to forget about those evil(oh so scrumptious) twisted bars!!! :twisted: :twisted: :evil: I had to positively force myself past the display in the Co-op on Friday.I have none in the house because they sit there and call to you seductively....... :cry:

Nellie

Peppermint aero!If I've brought some back from the UK
A cookie with a cup of tea.
It actually depends on the circumstances and what has caused the hypo, how low it is and what I'm doing next. I can raise my BS by about 4mg/dl for each gm of carb so 1 cookie at 8 carbs will raise BG about 32mg/dl (just under 2 mmol). If I'm running or less than 50 (2,7mmol) I take dextrose, which I hate but work very quickly.

donnamum

Do you have chocolate instead of lucozade and a starch snack.

If yes I will be the best mum in the world when I tell my daughter.

sofaraway

donnamum, no you shouldn't be treating a hypo with chocolate, it's generally too slow to bring the blood sugar up quickly. so not advised.

I will sometimes use chocolate or biscuits if I'm in the 3.8-4.5 range and want to raise myself up a bit, below that I'll use glucotabs.

But i'm someone who will quite happily eat a chocolate bar when my blood sugars are normal and bolus for it, so it's not a hypo only treat.

lionrampant

Bullspit. I've used multiple sugary snacks in my life. I even used fruit pastilles as a teenager - but your jaws get sore after a while. :lol: I use Lucozade when I'm feeling exceptionally wobbly, out driving, really lazy, or if I'm at the gym. Or hell if the notion just takes me.

Might not raise you as quick as lucozade or dextrose sweets but so long as you can sit down for five or ten minutes it gets the job done. And it's tasty.

When the hell else do we get the chance to eat such treats? (the bolus strategy not withstanding :p) Some people need to get a grip on this sort of thing. Life's for living.

donnamum said:
Do you have chocolate instead of lucozade and a starch snack.

If yes I will be the best mum in the world when I tell my daughter.

You always need the starchy part (in varying quantities of course since there is a degree of truth in the argument that chocolate contains a certain amount of long lasting carbs). If you're experienced you know how much to take, and how to avoid a drop-off afterwards.

Can't say it's the most sensible solution, but it's the most enjoyable one. If it's a fair bit away from the next meal then add a glass of milk and a small sandwich, and about fifteen minutes later life continues as normal.

At her age, it's probably best to limit such hypo stops to when she goes low at home. At school, stick to the lucozade/normal coke/dextrose sweets.

Mind you, all this is personal experience. Everyone's different.

wanderslore said:
How about mine, two thirds of a mini can of coke

You find that's enough? Interesting.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Us poor deprived diabetics need a choc treat apart from those orrible laxative diabetic creations. I don't feel guilty having a couple of bits of a dairy milk with a swig of lucozade. I try to view a miserable hypo as a way to reward myself for my efforts in such keeping tight control or just cocking up my humalog dose! Life's too short to stress about these things.
I know of someone who treats her child's hypos with cereal bars- I told her I don't think they'd work fast enough, and hypos are not an experience you want to drag out.
Jus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As a type 2 only using Metformin and low carb, I rarely have a very low Bg. Has happened once or twice if I walked a Very hard walk, like 4 hours up and down some steep Alps last September. I only dare take 1 to 2 glucose tabs. any more and I would be flying. I'm not mad about chocolate and find the diabetic stuff ok. If I'm wanting something sweet, I now have some berries. Pathetic isn't it? but I love blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. I've never tasted the treats you folks are raving about. Is it worth the use of a Starlix to try?? I'm now down 16.5 kg and don't want to halt this for too long. I have another 15kg to go.

cyb3rminx

Dislikes
anything that is good for you
im type 1 diagnosed a few months ago have been useing lucozade for my many a day hypos been quite disheartening as i dont really like the taste but now i know this info its cheered me up loads bring on the treats lol

Axman

I've been a type 1 diabetic for 40 years and from my experience, I've found that a Terry's chocolate orange bar and an apple helps me to sort out most hypo's.

Not only that a bite of the chocolate then a bite of the apple tastes wonderful :D