1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hypoglycemia???

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Lauren955, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Lauren955

Lauren955 Don't have diabetes · Member

Hi everyone I am new to this non diabetic and just looking for some help. I have been to the doctors back and forth for months about shakiness that I keep getting, mainly in my arms and hands. I thought it could be low blood sugar as sometimes it comes on when i haven’t eaten for a couple of hours. They told me t was all in my head and I’m imagining it because I have anxiety. So I bought a meter to see if I was really going low and so far my lowest has been 4.0. What I’m not sure about is that I will have my tea or dinner and be around 5 and then when I’ve eaten it will drop to around 4 then go back up on its own. But when I was at 4.0 i felt fine I wasn’t shaking or anything. I don’t seem to ever go past 6. As I had been told maybe I was spiking and then dropping fast but staying in the normal range which I found is not the case for me either as I don’t even spike. My fasting blood sugars are usually in the high 4’s. Just wondering if anybody has any insight on if this is normal for a non diabetic or not as I do suffer anxiety and can’t stop worrying.

2. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4 - 6 seems absolutely fine and normal. Not diabetic range at all

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi Lauren, those numbers look very good to me.

I'll just tage my colleague, @Brunneria as she is quite experienced in RH

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I have Reactive Hypoglycaemia, I'm not diabetic, and I am in normal range all the time due to what I have to eat.
    My fasting blood is always in the 4s.

A few questions, have you had the tests to diagnose RH or to eliminate other conditions?
    What sort of food do you eat daily?
    When do you test your blood glucose levels?
    If I didn't have really good control, I would get anxiety as a symptom.

If you are continually in normal blood glucose levels range despite what you eat, there is a condition akin to RH, that I have read about.
    It is known as flat line hypoglycaemia.

There are so many conditions that differ from each other in the endocrine science that a true diagnosis is difficult.

If you read the RH forum, you will recognise the symptoms and others that have similar experience.

Best wishes.

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Lauren955
    Hi and welcome. :)

Those numbers do look normal, don’t they?
    Are yountesting when you actually have the symtoms starting, or are you testing a few minutes later?

I can’t comment about @lamont’s suggestion of flatline hypoglycaemia, but you may find it worth having a read about it.

I’m wondering if there are any patterns to your symptoms that may suggest a food intolerance? Particular foods? Or an environmental intolerance? Situation?

Sorry I can’t offer any more thoughts on the situation.
    I know how very frustrating it is when people tell you ‘it is all in your mind’ - so you really do have my sympathy!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook