Hypo's when low-carbing

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What does everyone take for a hypo while low carbing? My bs is 5.9 without any novorapid today but it wont stay like that overnight

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What does everyone take for a hypo while low carbing? My bs is 5.9 without any novorapid today but it wont stay like that overnight

If you have a hypo, you should treat it as you normally would - ie with glucose plus some longer acting carbs.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I consider 1 carb raises me about 7. If hypo I think 10. I don't like to over shoot or under so I do some math. I rarely truly hypo. Just sometimes lowish so I eat some veggies and hummus. I'm always ok then. But that's just me. I'm very carb sensitive so I don't need 'sugar'. Just some carbs.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Why won't it stay like that overnight? If your basal dosage is set correctly for you you should really be able to expect it to keep you steady overnight.

If your low carbing and hypo, the hypo trumps low carb. Treat with dextrose tablets like normal.

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was on levemir for years,split doses of 10 in the morning and in the evening but i was having frequent night time hypos,i was put on tresiba/degluec and have had to adjust bit by bit.I have had to cut my dose to 11 but may have to cut again.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I use what any other T1 uses should a hypo arise..
A basal triggered hypo for me? (Outside of a bolus onboard for a meal.) I might treat with a biscuit only.. Depends on my activity level. If I'm gigging? I take treatment in liquid form... (Keep it handy stage side.)
Basically. I got all mannor of stuff thrown in my bag with the other D bits & bobs.. Lol, some of it has been hanging about for a very long time..
Due to my lower insulin consumption. I can keep calm, treat & carry on. With out anyone noticing the wacky side effects of a low...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I eat between 3 and 10g depending on what IOB there is, when hypo is, or what time I'm getting up etc..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wacky side effects

Lol, yeah sorry.. I'm pretty passive when low. (Non aggressive.) but I can ramble about the mysteries of the universe. "BIG life questions." Or the difference between Norwegian pagan metal & satanic metal during one low at my wife's boss's manager "pluss one/partner/spouse diner party. I was sketchy on what to bolus for & the conversation lulled as the food ran a little late?

Actually! I pulled it off with aplomb.. According to my wife. ;)

.... They were more worried about screwing up the timing! Lol

They must have let it go? I was also given a job with the company a couple of years later.. :cool:

Last edited: