Hypo's

Livi4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed 6 month ago with T1. Her BG's are far from stable!! However, over the last week she has ate poorly I.E not eating much or low carb of no carbs at all for tea, she is on 2 types of insulin, 1 is base line called levemir and the other is Novarapid which is calculated by the amount of carb in take, she is heading or if not going hypo every night and having to check her every 2 hours all through the night.... Has anyone else had similar issues or advice?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Livi4 - sorry to hear about the hypos, they are a pain.. Are you in regular contact with your DSN regarding her levels and hypos ? As her insulin doses will need adjusting. In regards to the most useful thing I can suggest as you've said her levels are unstable is to get hold of an Abbott Libre sensor if you can afford to, as you can scan her while she sleeps so less disruptive than testing every 2 hours, however first thing tomorrow I would call her DSN and explain the hypos as they would be keen to get this under control as soon as possible, let us know how you get on ?

Livi4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Juicyj, thanks for the reply! It's starting to feel like a never ending battle, we are constantly adjusting her insulin dosage amounts and when ever it's reduced she then seems to suffers with Hypers and now the Hypo's , we have tried the Abbott Libre but it didn't last the full 14 days and she was not happy with it in and said she doesn't want it again!! I'm currently waiting to see if we can get her a pump as I feel she will benefit from this a lot more but been told there is a backlog.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The only other advice I can suggest is to look at changing her background insulin, speak to her DSN about trying Tresiba, it's more stable and lasts longer than levemir, however ultimately she will need to start on a pump, so you need to discuss this too. However as she wasn't happy with the Libre sensor being attached then would she cope with a pump ? By the way if the sensor doesn't last the full 14 days then speak to Abbot customer service as it should and they should offer to replace. I know if takes some getting used to but the advantages of wearing it are great for kids, particularly as she won't have to test her bloods so often and get better sleep, perhaps get a funky sticky plaster for it and make it fun ?

Reactions: azure

Xl02lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed 6 month ago with T1. Her BG's are far from stable!! However, over the last week she has ate poorly I.E not eating much or low carb of no carbs at all for tea, she is on 2 types of insulin, 1 is base line called levemir and the other is Novarapid which is calculated by the amount of carb in take, she is heading or if not going hypo every night and having to check her every 2 hours all through the night.... Has anyone else had similar issues or advice?
Hello,

I have had similar with my daughter. It sounds like your daughter is still in the honeymoon period. This can last up to two years. It can take this time to get all the ratios correct as the pancreas is still working but not properly. I had this issue and my daughter was having anything up to 5 hypos a day. She was diagnosed nearly 11 months ago now and I think she is finally coming out of the honeymoon period and her pancreas has completely stopped working. For the last three months she has been having hypers almost every time her blood was checked. Previous to this when she was having the hypos I would make sure that she was having a 10g ish snack before bed the best snack to have would be a biscuit or something along those lines something that is slow realising. You will need to get in touch with the diabetic team and the ratios will need changing. My daughters ratios were changed on a weekly basis for months. I wouldn't recormend the sensor as they are not actuate while blood sugars are unstable they only work when you have stable blood sugars. My daughter has the sensor and we only used it for a month and noticed that the readings were only on point when her sugars were in range. Is she was having a hypo or a hyper it was completely out when I mentioned this to the team they said they only work when the sugars are stable.

Reactions: Livi4

DaveA4282

Hello,

My 3yo boy was diagnosed a month ago and we're having the same thing, which is that he is entering his 'Honeymoon Period'. Now that the synthetic insulin has given their pancreas a break, it (relatively briefly) starts to work again and produce its own insulin. This means that introduction of additional insulin sends them hypo - Novorapid acts faster, so the hypos can usually be timed to be shortly after a dose of that.

My little fella was on 6 units on Levemir in the morning and a carb:Novorapid ratio of 1:15 pre-Honeymoon Period. We've cut it down to 3 units of Levemir and 1:50 and STILL seeing hypos. Long story short, it is trial and error - be patient and find a combo that works for your daughter. Sod's Law dictates, of course, that as soon as we find the right one, the Honeymoon Period will be over and we'll be firefighting hypers again...

Good luck!

Reactions: Livi4