1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hypos

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by ianoak999, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ianoak999

ianoak999 Type 2 · Member

I was diagnosed Type 2, 18 months ago and was put on 500mg Metformin 4 times a day.
    Started having hypo's so GP cut it down to 3 x 500mg a day, all was ok until recently when I started having hypos all the time so stopped the metformin .
    Told GP who cant understand it so ordered a h1bc test, GP surgery wont give me results just said no further action required.
    I said I only want to know what number the mmols was but told cant give you that as not medically trained, meanwhile I still keep having hypo's going down as low as 3.0 sometimes testing using Freestyle libre and once it was that low it said it could not read as glucose level too low.
    Freestyle Libre estimates my h1bc test at 41mmol, luckily for me I do get signs that I am going low but cant understand why.

• Like Like x 1
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ask for a telephone appointment with your GP to get your HbA1c number. At what point are you going low?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've found the libre to be somewhat inaccurate when it shows less than 5, it can show Low when its anywhere between Low and 5ish for me, did you verify your blood sugar with an actual testing kit?

And if you request your HbA1c result they have to give it to you (at least in the UK they have to) - though as xfieldok says you may need an appointment to do so (though you shouldn't have to), if in the UK you can also request online access to your results/records etc where you can see exact numbers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I do not trust Libre for low readings - it gave me a reading of 0.7 recently and I was still alive and talking so it definitely was not that low.

It is also worth noting the Libre reads low when pressure is applied to the sensor. For example, if you lie on the sensor during the night.
    In addition, the sensor may become less accurate towards the end of its life.

The value of Libre is in analysing trends. It is not in using as a finger prick replacement.
    If you think you are hypo, this must be checked with a finger prick.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #4 Kim Possible, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't have experience of the Libre so can't comment. Finger test when you feel hypo. How is your blood pressure?

• Like Like x 1
  6. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

This very morning at work my noticed my usual hypo warning symptoms and reached for the Libre which returned a figure of 2.6. I thought 'No Way !' and did a proper blood test which was 4.7. So I agree with all the comments above, and mainly use it for trending.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shiba Park

Shiba Park Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Your GP cannot withhold your data from you. If a reminder of their GDPR obligations isn't sufficient, report them to the ICO. Then submit a Subject Access Request for full disclosure of all their records on you held electronically. They will probably demand a fee for this but under the GDPR legislation they cannot legally do this.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  8. mike@work

mike@work Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just did a check, and here we go...
    Libre 4.8 with horizontal trend, but finger prick 7.6 (mmol/L), so I agree with what is said above...

Been a while since on the forum last time, so Happy New Year to you all also !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know what times of day you go low and also how many and what type of carbs you are eating? And confirm your lows are confirmed with BG finger prick tests.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Metformin does not cause hypos.
    Go back to your doctor and ask for an appointment to discuss the readings you are getting from the libre.
    You need to know your Hba1c levels and you need to use a finger prick testing glucometer to find your fasting levels and what happens after food. A food diary is a good idea, as a help for your doctor to understand what is happening.

Don't be surprised if you keep getting fobbed off, insist on more tests if necessary.
    It's your health and your health records are your personal information to read.
    Regardless of medical training.

I went through all this over a decade ago.

What are your symptoms when seeing a low reading?
    What was your Hba1c levels when diagnosed T2?
    What are your fasting levels now before breakfast?
    What is your recommended dietary advice from your surgery?

Best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook