I’m a new type 1

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed four weeks ago after being misdiagnosed as type 2. I am on novorapid and lantus. I have just started a low carb diet. So far I am coping but have become a little obsessed with testing blood and numbers. I guess I will be now especially because my insulin still needs tweaking to bring it down further. I have been reading forum posts and am grateful l for the information I have gleaned. So thankyou all the way from Australia.

Reactions: Juicyj

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @sportyboston and welcome to the forum. Any questions don't be afraid to ask, someone will always pop in and answer as best we can :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was diagnosed four weeks ago after being misdiagnosed as type 2. I am on novorapid and lantus. I have just started a low carb diet. So far I am coping but have become a little obsessed with testing blood and numbers. I guess I will be now especially because my insulin still needs tweaking to bring it down further. I have been reading forum posts and am grateful l for the information I have gleaned. So thankyou all the way from Australia.

Hi and welcome,

I think it's quite normal to get obsessed with the numbers game in the early days, as your knowledge improves and you learn what a couple of units of insulin and a few grams of carbs do to your body, you'll hopefully be able to feel a bit more relaxed about the situation.

As @porl69 has indicated, please feel free to ask any questions that you need answers to.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome from Canada ! I'm type 1, also initially misdiagnosed as type 2, a little over 1 year ago. There is so much to know and learn about yourself. This forum helped me hugely.

hmcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was also misdiagnosed as a type 2 for 9 months until I eventually was referred to the professionals and on insulin that day. That was 3 years ago and I'm still learning.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome, welcome, welcome to the forum. :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you finally got the right diagnosis and have found low carb and this forum.
It is good to be 'slightly obsessed' with blood sugars (beats being in denial) and your self experimentation will prove invaluable going forward.
Don't get sore fingers though? Can you get a cgm device in Aus?

deniski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, welcome !
I've been a type1 diabetic for 56 years ( got it when I was 3 y.o.) and sometimes it's been really **** and sometimes it has taught me very useful things.
I'm a professional sportsperson, held a couple of world records and live a very active life in the mountains.
I reckon if you spend 20% of your energies looking after your diabetes and reacting to food and blood sugar readings you can have a fulfilling and great life.
Lots of exercise, quality food and very little or no alcohol/drugs and a bit of luck and life can be enhanced.
Good luck !

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome from another Aussie. I'm new and a type 2 so don't have any advice for you but am always happy to listen and sympathise and be happy in any good news.

You are most welcome.