i accidentally took gliclazide help

emaan13631122

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I am 18 years old and non diabetic .... can please someone tell what happens if took two tablets of glyclazide or diamichron (other name) i had a really bad head ache and i mixed the tablets with my mum.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most diabetic meds need a while before they build up to take effect, so a mistake like this is probably not going to have much effect. Gliclazide has the purpose of lowering the glucose in the blood, and 2 tabs is not an overdose by any means.

Keep an eye on how you feel,and if you get any symptoms of low blood sugar, then take a snack of sugery things like fruit pastilles or jelly babies. Since you are not diabetic yourself this will clear up any short term effect of the gliclazide.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its been two hours and i havnt eaten anything
Eating is a good if you can. Or a tea-break with sugared beverage. Your body normal functions should cope with it ok, but a drink or snack will help it. That dosage is not dangerous - I take 4 of the things a day myself.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Give it fifteen minutes!

Eat something again, if you still feel wobbly.

Reactions: 3 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure. Normally digestion takes 15-90 minutes depending on what you last ate. Meds will probably leave your system within a couple of hours after that. You are probably getting clear of it now

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I correct thinking you had a headache, then took a couple of Gliclazide tablets in error, thinking they were you headache tablet? Did you go on and take something for your headache?

How are you feeling now?

I think, provided your body is nice and healthy, it should be able to work to keep you safe, after a single dose of Glaclazide. The longer since you took it you feel "OK", the better.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Gliclazide has a half life of 12 hours so it will take some time to clear your system completely. As has been said if you start to experience symptoms of low blood sugar then take some sugary drink or food if the symptoms persist or worsen call your doctors surgery or 111.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have carbohydrate foods or drink during the 12 hours or so to follow. It stimulates the pancreas to produce a bit more insulin which the carbs will mop up if needed.

emaan13631122

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Am I correct thinking you had a headache, then took a couple of Gliclazide tablets in error, thinking they were you headache tablet? Did you go on and take something for your headache?

How are you feeling now?

I think, provided your body is nice and healthy, it should be able to work to keep you safe, after a single dose of Glaclazide. The longer since you took it you feel "OK", the better.

Yes actually my mums tablets were there too and i took it in hurry thinking it was asprin but when i found out i didnt take anything else as i know that it could cause a reaction

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes actually my mums tablets were there too and i took it in hurry thinking it was asprin but when i found out i didnt take anything else as i know that it could cause a reaction

Thanks for that. How are you feeling now?

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They would have have little effect on you.

They cause you to release more insulin, but your liver would dump glucose if your blood sugar goes too low, if you didn't eTh. So it regulates itself.