Type 2 I am confused and worried

Hello All!

I am brand new to this forum but have been reading it ever since my diagnosis in July.

I was diagnosed with T2 in July and got the shock of my life, considering I was 24 and never in my life thought I could get it so young. I was told by a helpful out of hours GP to look up Dr Jason Fung and it gave me hope.

I’ve been reading this thread too and you guys have been incredibly inspiring.

I have been on low carb ever since, I have no more than 105 g of carbs per day ( I tried the 50s and felt terrible) and it has been working. I’ve lost 18kgs and got my blood sugars in the normal range within a month, my average was 6.3 mmol for the past couple of months. I never had a reading higher than 7.9 (after eating) and 5.5 whilst fasting. I felt on top of the world and so proud/happy.

In the last week, I have started measuring again (took about a weeks break from checking) and I’ve skyrocketed to the 9s-10s. I have no idea why. I’ve been stricter on the carbs since realising this and I’m still very up and down.

I am having a real emotional battle about this because I feel like I’m doing everything I can and it’s not working. This morning it was 6.5,9.5,10.5 (had to check three times because I couldn’t believe my eyes) never had a fasting glucose of that level. Yesterday morning it was 5.5.

I have started a new job and it has been quite stressful and it’s the only thing I can think about that might be causing this?

My question: has this happened to anyone else who felt slightly in control of their Diabetes and how did you deal with it? Also can anyone see me doing anything wrong that I just don’t see?

Any advice would be so appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

P.s. my HBA1C at diagnoses was 66 and in 2 weeks it was down to 61

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

Stress certainly puts blood sugars up. Also, if you've started a new job maybe you have changed your exercise regime and/or what you eat?

I assume they did do all the tests to verify that you were T2 rather than T1?

As regards diet, if you post a typical day's food on here then I'm sure some helpful T1s will be able to suggest tweaks to reduce the carbs and/or tell you whether some secret carbs have sneaked into your diet.

Good luck.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat 20g carbs per day. Yes it can be hard at first, but when you get through carb addiction it's a breeze. It took me around 4 weeks.

Are you testing before you eat and again 2 hours after the first bite?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Boring ordinary type twos usually respond to low carb - you might be something a bit more exciting, maybe?