I am finding it hard to except I have type 2 diabetes.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo welcome:), there is a lot of great information on here . I've been type 2 since 2009 and have learnt so much in the few weeks I have been a member. I bought a BG meter and started the LCHF eating plan I've only been on it for 2 weeks and my BG has come right down!!!!!! :smug: Great bunch on here and will answer any questions you care to ask. I got my meter from e-bay was bout £12.00 and its Codefree make and strips are reasonable aswell. Good luck and Welcome to the family:happy:

Cheers

Terry

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo welcome:), there is a lot of great information on here . I've been type 2 since 2009 and have learnt so much in the few weeks I have been a member. I bought a BG meter and started the LCHF eating plan I've only been on it for 2 weeks and my BG has come right down!!!!!! :smug: Great bunch on here and will answer any questions you care to ask. I got my meter from e-bay was bout £12.00 and its Codefree make and strips are reasonable aswell. Good luck and Welcome to the family:happy:

Cheers

Terry
Ahh.....thank you Terry - sounds like a nice family to be part of!! Think I'm going to do the LCHF too- just seems crazy after being told "low fat" is good all these years!! Do you still lose weight on it?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
LCHF is a good way to lose weight, in conjunction with exercise, just remember you lose weight when you burn more calories than you eat, fat has little to do with it. The HF bit is there because you need to replace the calories you used to get from carbs (with not much nutritional value) with calories from somewhere else. So you don't need to pig out on fats, just not think twice about having butter, cream etc. Avoid anything that says low fat, it's usually full of sugar.

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm learning a lot already!! Thank you !!
LCHF is a good way to lose weight, in conjunction with exercise, just remember you lose weight when you burn more calories than you eat, fat has little to do with it. The HF bit is there because you need to replace the calories you used to get from carbs (with not much nutritional value) with calories from somewhere else. So you don't need to pig out on fats, just not think twice about having butter, cream etc. Avoid anything that says low fat, it's usually full of sugar.
I'm learning a lot already!! Thank you !!

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah crazy bout the high fat:wacky: Kimbo, there is a video on here I think its in the low carb thread/forum very interesting. I'm back at doctors in couple of week so I will get weighed then. My BG has come rite down I'm averaging 6-7 fasting bloods some as low as 4.9!! also before meals 5-7 two hours after 5.7-7.5. Before I went on LCHF it was between 10 and 17 fasting bloods!!!!! :eek:and I feel so much better. Had mushroom omelette fried in butter for my dinner nom nom:) don't miss the carbs at all!!!

Cheers

Terry:clown:

Reactions: 7 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah crazy bout the high fat:wacky: Kimbo, there is a video on here I think its in the low carb thread/forum very interesting. I'm back at doctors in couple of week so I will get weighed then. My BG has come rite down I'm averaging 6-7 fasting bloods some as low as 4.9!! also before meals 5-7 two hours after 5.7-7.5. Before I went on LCHF it was between 10 and 17 fasting bloods!!!!! :eek:and I feel so much better. Had mushroom omelette fried in butter for my dinner nom nom:) don't miss the carbs at all!!!

Cheers

Mushroom omelette sounds good!! You are doing well by the sounds of it, keep me posted!! Just a thought, is cheese ok ??

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yep, cheese is fine. Good for mashing with cauliflower as an alternative to potato. You probably already know to avoid potato, bread, rice and pasta.

As a replacement for sandwiches at lunch, I go for 'tapas' style food - salami, cheese, tomatoes, olives, mackerel pate, guacamole, houmous - maybe not all at once, but pick and choose.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will kimbo its a lot easier for me because I live on my own, well apart from my dog. I never had cakes, biscuits, crisps or stuff like that so no temptation lol. Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet there is a list of foods you can eat and foods you should avoid.

Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will kimbo its a lot easier for me because I live on my own, well apart from my dog. I never had cakes, biscuits, crisps or stuff like that so no temptation lol. Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet there is a list of foods you can eat and foods you should avoid.

Cheers

I have my two teenage daughters but they do more and more their own thing now so at times there is just me to sort out ! I will have to have a look at the modified Atkins too, thank you x

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Davey J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Terry.......as much info as you like, thank you!! How do you do with fruit?? Crazy to think that is a bit of a "caution" area??!!
Hi Kimbo

I was just like you just over a week ago, get the carbs and cals book it will make it easy to choose what foods to eat. i have been swimming in the morning before work and eating low carbs..
I am losing weight and I have gone from 17.1 to 6.8 on the glucose meter.

Good luck

Dave................

Reactions: 4 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo

I was just like you just over a week ago, get the carbs and cals book it will make it easy to choose what foods to eat. i have been swimming in the morning before work and eating low carbs..
I am losing weight and I have gone from 17.1 to 6.8 on the glucose meter.

Good luck

Dave................
Thank you Davey - the book is a must then!! You have done so well!

Davey J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I am eating that much fish and doing so much swimming I maybe turning into a duck!

Sonia08

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i have been on the atkins low carb from recommendations when i first got type 2, 6 months im at 6 stone weight loss never felt better and about to end my meds so i can say you wont regret it one bit well done and good luck xx
Hi Cath,
Is this low carb atkins different to the LCHF diet? Sorry im a newbie and finding it hard to keep up :)

Sonia

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo hows it going?
Hi Terry! Day 7 of low carb and going ok, got my code free meter yesterday so trying to get an idea of my levels, think I'm being a little harsh on my expectations of myself there though, early days yet still too. How are you going?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
Hi Cath,
Is this low carb atkins different to the LCHF diet? Sorry im a newbie and finding it hard to keep up :)

Sonia
well it prob same altho i go for lchf more as i refuse carbs as much as possible and eat high fat stuff the weight does come of, xx

Davey J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Hi All

Readings gone back down a bi,t 8.1 and lost another 7lb since last week.

Davey

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Terry! Day 7 of low carb and going ok, got my code free meter yesterday so trying to get an idea of my levels, think I'm being a little harsh on my expectations of myself there though, early days yet still too. How are you going?

Hi Kimbo its going great, feeling a lot better, more energy and enjoying fatty foods!!! My fasting BG is between 5.1 & 6.7 (was as high as 17.6) before dinner between 5.2 & 7.1 2 hours after dinner between 5.2 & 7.5 So very pleased Im at doctors next week for blood test and weigh in so will be interesting to see what my results are.