Type 2 I am going on Ozempic

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 69kg so i don't need to lose to much weight- if indeed- ozempic is going to help with weight-loss. - surprisingly i did look up DKA and symptoms i do have nearly all the symptoms but my endo has checked me several times for the ketones and its been low whilst my sugars have been high?<
That is pointing to severe IR in the muscles, since you appear to be outputting insulin. You would need a c-peptide test to confirm this but riding round with bgl in the clouds and not be fat burning is where i have been too, and the blood does not turn acidic (low ketones) so not a danger, The ozempic problem creates excess ketones at low blood sugars, and this can build up tp be a problem. It can be a big problem if you need A&E and they see you are T2D and your bgl is around 10 or so, so not the usual DKA so they won't treat you for it.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is pointing to severe IR in the muscles, since you appear to be outputting insulin. You would need a c-peptide test to confirm this but riding round with bgl in the clouds and not be fat burning is where i have been too, and the blood does not turn acidic (low ketones) so not a danger, The ozempic problem creates excess ketones at low blood sugars, and this can build up tp be a problem. It can be a big problem if you need A&E and they see you are T2D and your bgl is around 10 or so, so not the usual DKA so they won't treat you for it.

I am having my c-peptide checked next week- don't know what to expect. although endo says i am making insulin lots of it. but, he wants to check to see how much i am making to be exact. - 3 months of being high has me very exhausted i want to regain control. -

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BMI is 25 - I think its because nothing else is working. all my other meds which once did work for me are no longer working and ozempic is a drug i haven't tried yet- i am afraid if it will not work either. - i do have fatty liver but thats 4 years now. my kidney are functioning fine. - i don't know my medicine stopped being effective at bringing my levels down.
It might work for you. Certainly your HbA1c results are not in the comfortable range now. Are you using any dietary tehniques to help? I was at the same crossroads seven years ago, maxed out in meds, bgl up in the 20's and 30's and not getting anywhere. I changed my diet, and now I am on only one med, at minimum dose and my HbA1c is less than 48, The diet has worked wonders for me. Do you use a home bgl meter?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might work for you. Certainly your HbA1c results are not in the comfortable range now. Are you using any dietary tehniques to help? I was at the same crossroads seven years ago, maxed out in meds, bgl up in the 20's and 30's and not getting anywhere. I changed my diet, and now I am on only one med, at minimum dose and my HbA1c is less than 48, The diet has worked wonders for me. Do you use a home bgl meter?

I have a blood glucose meter- yes. - diet is the problem. i know carbs are bad but generally i stay away from simple carbs and try limit complex carbs as much as i can. i do eat more meat and eggs.and fish.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am having my c-peptide checked next week- don't know what to expect. although endo says i am making insulin lots of it. but, he wants to check to see how much i am making to be exact. - 3 months of being high has me very exhausted i want to regain control. -

I'm curious. how does he know you're making lots of insulin if he hasn't got a current cpeptide result?

My understanding was that high blood sugars damage insulin producing cells so long term T2s may well not be producing lots of insulin, even if they overproduced at the beginning. (Happy to be corrected, the literature is vague and just talks about a "tired" pancreas.)

Anyway, it;s great that you're getting the test done.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm curious. how does he know you're making lots of insulin if he hasn't got a current cpeptide result?

My understanding was that high blood sugars damage insulin producing cells so long term T2s may well not be producing lots of insulin, even if they overproduced at the beginning. (Happy to be corrected, the literature is vague and just talks about a "tired" pancreas.)

Anyway, it;s great that you're getting the test done.

when i get the results- and the feedback- i will let you know.

Reactions: EllieM

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with your endo on the insulin, but will be nice to have it confirmed. Then you will know what to attack. There are two techniques that can help improve insulin sensitivty, One is a very low calorie crash diet plan such as the Newcastle Diet or Blood 800, and the other is Low Carb. The Low Carb diet has been tested with NAFLD patients and was found to be effective in that aspect too according to work done by Dr Unwin. The Newcastle diet studies showed that liver and pancreas fat was reduced too but the NAFLD people advise that crash diets are nor advisable to treat NAFLD. I am not aware of any claims being put forward for Ozempic to be used with NAFLD.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cant remember everything because i was with the endo for about 45mins but- i think he will write a letter to my GP and that letter will eventually g
I agree with your endo on the insulin, but will be nice to have it confirmed. Then you will know what to attack. There are two techniques that can help improve insulin sensitivty, One is a very low calorie crash diet plan such as the Newcastle Diet or Blood 800, and the other is Low Carb. The Low Carb diet has been tested with NAFLD patients and was found to be effective in that aspect too according to work done by Dr Unwin. The Newcastle diet studies showed that liver and pancreas fat was reduced too but the NAFLD people advise that crash diets are nor advisable to treat NAFLD. I am not aware of any claims being put forward for Ozempic to be used with NAFLD.

Interesting.. - I did purchase a book of Dr Jason Fung - very fascinating- he also says low carb is the way. maybe i need to look more into low carb and go even more into it. My endo said my 100g actimel is something i should consider dropping.. i may do that

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cant remember everything because i was with the endo for about 45mins but- i think he will write a letter to my GP and that letter will eventually g

Interesting.. - I did purchase a book of Dr Jason Fung - very fascinating- he also says low carb is the way. maybe i need to look more into low carb and go even more into it. My endo said my 100g actimel is something i should consider dropping.. i may do that
Yup. For what its worth that was the route I took and I haven't looked back since. Do the research and read the success stories in the testimonials thread in the forum. It has a good track record for T2D, and some adherants for NAFLD too. You can come back to the Forunm with questions and there are NO silly questions. I remember my entry to the forum on LCHF and I took some convincing, but my meter did not lie to me ( well they all lie a little bit) I lost excess weight, trimmed my waistline, and have gently gone in and out of remission since. The LCHF has science behind it, but it does turn established nutrition advice on its head a bit, and you need to get to grips with that so as to take control back again with confidence.

Now I am turning in to give my mitochondria some rest and recuperation.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been pondering over why the instructions for Ozempic list ketones as being common. Some recent research has discovered thst alpha cells in the pancreas have another previously unknown pathway to control metabolism. They discovered that the alpha cells have an emergency response to the condition of high glucose with high insulin, and this triggers the pathway to the beta cells to force more insulin out of them. It is actually the pathway that activates fat burning, which is why this med is used for weight loss and why you get ketones. So your dose of Ozempic will stimulate ketosis without requiring carb restriction.

I can understand how keto diets work with low glucose levels since that comes from evolution. But forcing it when there is lots of glucose sloshing around seems to be a bit dodgy.

If the clearance of ketones is impaired, then this will lead to DKA. The presence of high levels of glucose may well be forcing your kidneys to work overtime removing excess, and they may not be so efficient at clearing ketones, which is why ketones come out in the breath and sweat instead. This is similar to what csn happen in the T1D form of DKA except that in that case insulin is not available, so it is just glucose and ketones fighting for the same exits.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been pondering over why the instructions for Ozempic list ketones as being common. Some recent research has discovered thst alpha cells in the pancreas have another previously unknown pathway to control metabolism. They discovered that the alpha cells have an emergency response to the condition of high glucose with high insulin, and this triggers the pathway to the beta cells to force more insulin out of them. It is actually the pathway that activates fat burning, which is why this med is used for weight loss and why you get ketones. So your dose of Ozempic will stimulate ketosis without requiring carb restriction.

I can understand how keto diets work with low glucose levels since that comes from evolution. But forcing it when there is lots of glucose sloshing around seems to be a bit dodgy.

If the clearance of ketones is impaired, then this will lead to DKA. The presence of high levels of glucose may well be forcing your kidneys to work overtime removing excess, and they may not be so efficient at clearing ketones, which is why ketones come out in the breath and sweat instead. This is similar to what csn happen in the T1D form of DKA except that in that case insulin is not available, so it is just glucose and ketones fighting for the same exits.

I appreciate your message. Very interesting and a lot to take in. I will look into Ozempic more a i am off sitagliptin now. So i am only taking Gliclazide and Metformin now.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had your first injections?

Monday is when i have been advised by endo to start. I know a lot more information now than before and will probably write to DN and tell her i dont want weightloss just diabetes control. I heard people experiencing diarrhoea and stomach pain from the slow digestion process but i am yet to experience those side effects, the one that i think is quite scary is DKA and eye disease.

I guess having high blood sugar is not as bad as diarrhoea i can manage those symptoms and as for DKA and eye disease i will need to keep an eye on that...

janemarie71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All.

I am going off sitagliptin and going onto Ozempic if anyone has experience of being on or are on this medicine
please do tell me your experience. - All i know is its to be taken once a week and that its good for weight-loss.
hopefully it can help with bringing my blood sugar down so feel better and get active again.

i will be starting Monday. so i will see how this medicine works, I am hoping it does work for me because Gliclizide isn't no longer helping me.

I am getting my C-peptide checked again too.

Hi, I was on Ozempic and loved it! I react to most diabetic medications/injectables, but I was fine with Ozempic. I lost 2 st in weight and my blood sugars improved. However, the diabetic team won’t prescribe it for me now as I have mild diabetic retinopathy. I had this before I started Ozempic and I’m trying to get it again.

I only had mild nausea at first, but nothing horrendous. I hope it suits you. It’s a great drug in my opinion!

Ian.Mangan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All.

I am going off sitagliptin and going onto Ozempic if anyone has experience of being on or are on this medicine
please do tell me your experience. - All i know is its to be taken once a week and that its good for weight-loss.
hopefully it can help with bringing my blood sugar down so feel better and get active again.

i will be starting Monday. so i will see how this medicine works, I am hoping it does work for me because Gliclizide isn't no longer helping me.

Ian.Mangan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Monday is when i have been advised by endo to start. I know a lot more information now than before and will probably write to DN and tell her i dont want weightloss just diabetes control. I heard people experiencing diarrhoea and stomach pain from the slow digestion process but i am yet to experience those side effects, the one that i think is quite scary is DKA and eye disease.

I guess having high blood sugar is not as bad as diarrhoea i can manage those symptoms and as for DKA and eye disease i will need to keep an eye on that...
It will also have a positive impact on BG levels in its own right. Acting on insulin levels and resistance.

as an appetite suppressant it is best one around.

Ian.Mangan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a blood glucose meter- yes. - diet is the problem. i know carbs are bad but generally i stay away from simple carbs and try limit complex carbs as much as i can. i do eat more meat and eggs.and fish.

until you see simple carb as the enemy and for Complex carbs these should be at absolute minimum you will never get things under control. As humans we don’t need the level of carbs our bodies/brain think we do. Not digging farming or walking long distances to forage for food. Our chemistry is built to stock up on high carb as it was not readily available when we evolved. So we crave it for both physical needs and emotional too. Sorry for lecture on Low Carb but it is true. Lost 6 st over 7 months and it os staying off.

cazzz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All.

cazzz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am glad you can get Ozempic where you are I am in Australia and it can't be got at the moment. When I was able to get Ozempic I started off with. 0.25 then up to .5mg at first I really didn't notice any difference. When I am able to get Ozempic the side effect is I don't think to have a need to eat just not hungry at all. It's happened twice I get the 'snappy tom' head totally out of character, I fire off super angry unable to stop my 17-year-old now knows how to tell me to stop and gets me food I am also very light-headed.

Jazza6

Hi All.

Hi, I have started Trulicity which is basically the same as Ozempic. Only been using for two weeks but haven’t suffered any side-effects as yet and hopefully that will continue. I’m on 0.75 mcg and this will go up I think to 1.25 next week or in the next couple of weeks. hoping this works out for you.