I am new

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

I am Kay and I am 44 with type 2 diabetes, it runs in my family so I must have been destined for it at some stage.

I have been looking on this forum for a while and I find it really interesting and helpful. I am newly diagnosed diabetic Jan 2009 and initally I had a BG level of 19.3, once on the meds and diet I have managed to have my BG levels down to 7 in three months. I eat carbs and a small amount of chocolate, I eat fruit etc and I was managing well...UNTIL I got diagnosed with artritis, now everything is up in the air. The Doctors have put me on steriods to protect my joints and now BG levels are going higher, so it is back to the drawing board :( I don't want to risk lowering my carbs as they make my meds work better. I eat wholemeal bread and eat fairly healthily with no processed foods and I can cook a great diabetic cake (Chocolate) with Venezuelan Black Chocolate. This chocolate is the business and great for diabetics :D http://www.williescacao.com/

What I am asking is are there anyone here who has the same problems as I do? I would appreciate some input. Many thanks in advance

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Kay,
Welcome on board, I understand about steroids and the effects on BG levels, due to a bad chest infection I was on steroids along with antibiotics and my readings went through the roof, but I was only on them for a short time, I know you don't subscribe to low carb but thats the only thing that helped me.

Regards Graham

Katharine

At least one member of Dr Bernstein's forum has said that their arthritis improved when they completely cut out foods from the solonacea or deadly nightshade family and citrus. I understand that is includes potatoes, aubergine and tomatoes.

I have not omitted these foods myself but you may be interested in investigating this line of dietary control.