I do not understand my uncle's worry (alcohol)

tofas

I do not understand my uncle's worry
my uncle loves drinking alcohol like soju (korean alcohol), beer, wine etc
however he should not drink alchol

because doctor says he has diabetes..;;
but his situation is very irony
he is worrying about his disease but he can not stop drinking alcohol;;

what do you want to advice for him?
I am struggling about that;

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tofas ,

Welcome to the forum.

What type of diabetes does your uncle have?

The advice depends also on the medication involved.... The advice also may vary rgarding the exstent of alcohol consumption too..

D

Deleted member 308541

I drink low carb beer, and also drink single malt whisky when I can afford it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not understand my uncle's worry
my uncle loves drinking alcohol like soju (korean alcohol), beer, wine etc
however he should not drink alchol

because doctor says he has diabetes..;;
but his situation is very irony
he is worrying about his disease but he can not stop drinking alcohol;;

what do you want to advice for him?
I am struggling about that;
I don't know what type he is or what medication he's on, but soju/beer is high in carbohydrates and will make his sugar spike. If he really can't leave the bottle alone he should look into alternatives... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/alcohol-guide might help. Just keep in mind that when a liver is filtering alcohol, it cannot dump glucose. That means he could, if he's on blood sugar lowering medication or insulin, hypo if he's hammered, with possibly deadly outcome.

Is it possible your uncle is drinking because he is depressed about his condition? People respond to certain things in counter-productive ways sometimes... I do understand his reaction, but he's not doing his condition nor his liver any favours. Best would be to quit the drink altogether, but I do grasp that might be difficult for him.

If he's a type 2, he could control the diabetes through diet. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might be of assistance... But again, I don't know his type nor his medication, so... But maybe it is enough to give him some hope, enough to turn away from the soju.

Good luck,
Jo

Last edited:

BigG92

Maybe get your uncle to join a support group for other sufferers or for people struggling with alcohol problems.