I don't know if I took my metformin.

ChrisEG1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just recently been taken of Gliclazide as my levels were getting low so just on metformin and everything seemed to be fine until this morning when I'm sure I took my metformin but my blood sugar levels tells me otherwise, in fact they are higher than they have been in a long time. Now I'm doubting myself if i took my metformin, shall I have a low carb lunch and wait till my next dose which is in the evening?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just recently been taken of Gliclazide as my levels were getting low so just on metformin and everything seemed to be fine until this morning when I'm sure I took my metformin but my blood sugar levels tells me otherwise, in fact they are higher than they have been in a long time. Now I'm doubting myself if i took my metformin, shall I have a low carb lunch and wait till my next dose which is in the evening?

Metformin doesn't work in the same way that Gliclazide does. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce extra insulin which helps keep levels down post meal. Metformin works on the liver by helping to reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally and also with insulin resistance, but only does all this to a very limited extent. It is mainly an appetite suppressant and certainly not a miracle drug. Whether you took it or not won't make any difference. It accumulates in your body over time, so missing taking one will not make a jot of difference to your levels.

When was this test that was high taken? Was it fasting or after breakfast?

ChrisEG1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over two hours fasting after breakfast I'm usually between 6 - 8, but this reading was 16

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, that is high. Did you do a re-test? Always a good idea to do this when you get an unexpected level as some strips can be contaminated - and did you wash and dry your hands first? I'm just trying to eliminate basic reasons.

What were you before breakfast?
What exactly did you eat for breakfast?

ChrisEG1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes did a retest still high, but slowly coming down, I always wash and dry my hands before testing, I had shredded wheat which I usually had, I don't test usually as my doctor told me that I don't need to now I'm not on Gliclazide, this was a test as I didn't feel right and my vision was blurred.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This was a one off and I wouldn't worry about these two readings. See what happens tomorrow.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes did a retest still high, but slowly coming down, I always wash and dry my hands before testing, I had shredded wheat which I usually had, I don't test usually as my doctor told me that I don't need to now I'm not on Gliclazide, this was a test as I didn't feel right and my vision was blurred.

For people on Metformin or diet only, I have to tell you that shredded wheat, weetabix, any other breakfast cereals are not a good idea. They are VERY carb heavy, and presumably you also had milk. I suspect this is why you were seeing a level of 16. Previously your Gliclazide would have kept you down, but now it appears that all the Gliclazide has gone from your system so you need to have a re-think about your diet. Your pancreas is now trying to produce insulin without any help, and can't cope with cereals. (or indeed any other food high in carbohydrate such as potatoes, rice, pasta, flour, bread)

Perhaps tomorrow for breakfast you could try eggs cooked any which way?

As for testing, your doctor is wrong. Most doctors and nurses say the same thing because all they are interested in is stopping you from going hypo, and without Gliclazide this is very unlikely to happen. Without testing you are working blind.

You need to test before meals and again 2 hours after your first bite. Look at the difference between the before and after levels to see what that food has done to your levels. If you keep a food diary and record your levels alongside you will soon see patterns emerging, and can learn from this which foods cause the problem. You can then either eliminate that food or reduce the portion size and try again.

ChrisEG1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat small portions of any thing I eat and go by the guide I got on the Spotlight on Diabetes course.

ChrisEG1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast is either one these:-
1. Three tablespoons of shredded wheat, with about 150ml of milk.
2. One weetabix, with about 150ml of milk.
3. Two large boiled eggs.
4. Scramble eggs made with just 2 eggs.

Lunch is usually a sandwich made with either wholemeal bread or roll, chicken slice, lettuce, cucumber and spring onion.

Tea/dinner varies from day to day.

As for the guide there is way to much information to type its a a4 size booklet of about 30 pages lol.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you, I would use the meter to test each of these meals (before and after) It is nearly lunch time so have your sandwich and test. The wholemeal bread or roll will cause a rise. Give it a try. Tomorrow for breakfast have the eggs and test those.

If you see a big rise (over 2mmol/l) after your lunch, you will know it was the bread and will have to have a re-think.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

when only on metformin it is best to eat lower carb al the time and maybe only eat NO-carb breakfasts like bacon and eggs and ham and cheese and avocado and Lidl protein rolls and nuts ... then one does not make the higher morning blood glucose even higher...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast is either one these:-
1. Three tablespoons of shredded wheat, with about 150ml of milk.
2. One weetabix, with about 150ml of milk.
3. Two large boiled eggs.
4. Scramble eggs made with just 2 eggs.

Lunch is usually a sandwich made with either wholemeal bread or roll, chicken slice, lettuce, cucumber and spring onion.

Tea/dinner varies from day to day.

As for the guide there is way to much information to type its a a4 size booklet of about 30 pages lol.
Options 1 and 2 in your list would certainly make my bgl do a handspring. I am still using Glic alongside the Metformin. but I take it in the evening with my main meal. So my breakfast is Met only in effect. Everybody is different, and whilst I personally can tolerate a slice of toast for b'fast, there are many here who would not find this to be a helpful meal item. That is why many say test each meal before and 2 hr after to ensure the delta rise is acceptable for you.. Once you can show the rise is ok, then you should not need to test again for this item. Some items such as eggs/ bacon/ ham , cheese are generally safe - it is only carby or sugary foods that are suspect. Even milk is considered carby, and many use cream instead.

The comments on missed dose by the others is spot on, and I have nothing to add there. Not a jot of difference short term.

D

Deleted member 308541

in but my blood sugar levels tells me otherwise, in fact they are higher than they have been in a long time. Now I'm doubting myself if i took my metformin
The way I take my Metformin and it's easy to remember if I have taken them.

I started taking them with the evening meal when I first got them. So that left a odd number in the strip, in the morning at breakfast I take another Metformin so that gives the strip a even number of tablet.

That is how I remember if I had taken them, odds in the morning, evens in the evening. Hope this helps you.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator: