I don't know what I'm doing!

*madcatlady*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm 45, female. Very fat, 150kg and last HBA1C was 84.

I got a leg infection this week which terrified the life out of me.

I decided to fast for a day to get my sugars down to fight the infection. It went well so I tried another day and now I'm on day 4.

I have no idea if this is sustainable for any length of time. I'm amazed at how I've not been hungry and it seems far easier than calorie counting. I've lost 3kg in 3 days. My blood sugar is still not even normal. It has gone from 17 on Wednesday to 9 today. I have dropped the gliclazide for now so am just taking metformin and exenatide injections once a week.

It's not a complete dast since I have a pint of milk a day in coffee.

I'm in a desperately bad state physically so something as drastic as this seems like it could at least work to get me in a better position to try something else long term.

I've been begging for support from both my GP and diabetes nurse. Even with an HBA1C this high the nurse just says she will call me for a review in 3 months. The dietician won't see me as I have a BMI over 40 and the weight management team has a 22 month waiting list. I got referred at the start of last year so if the pandemic had not happened would have an assessment at the end of this year but I bet it will be a much longer wait now.

Does anyone have any advice?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've got a long way to go before you get anywhere near the record...

https://mysteriesrunsolved.com/2021/08/angus-barbieri.html

I found fasting a useful tool but just be careful you don't go for too long.

Your drop in blood glucose is great but remember you'll have to eat sometime so prepare for very low carb when you do.. also be very gentle in re-introducing food.. I once ended a 7 day fast with a full (low carb) roast dinner and suffered the consequences, not pretty...

Reactions: *madcatlady*

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

I decided to fast for a day to get my sugars down to fight the infection. It went well so I tried another day and now I'm on day 4.

Hi,

I can only give you some general feedback, and don't take it as professional advice.
First thing, that would concern me: what was the cause of your leg infection? Maybe not due to diabetes?

I have no idea if this is sustainable for any length of time. I'm amazed at how I've not been hungry and it seems far easier than calorie counting. I've lost 3kg in 3 days. My blood sugar is still not even normal. It has gone from 17 on Wednesday to 9 today. I have dropped the gliclazide for now so am just taking metformin and exenatide injections once a week.

Those numbers are not alarming to me, and dropping your gliclazide just means you won't have the advantage of eating some food when you are hungry and still keeping your numbers in a fair and safe range.

I'm in a desperately bad state physically so something as drastic as this seems like it could at least work to get me in a better position to try something else long term.

"desperately bad state physically" what do you mean?

I've been begging for support from both my GP and diabetes nurse. Even with an HBA1C this high the nurse just says she will call me for a review in 3 months. The dietician won't see me as I have a BMI over 40 and the weight management team has a 22 month waiting list. I got referred at the start of last year so if the pandemic had not happened would have an assessment at the end of this year but I bet it will be a much longer wait now.

BMI of 40 is not so alarming depending on your age, and activity and can be controlled with diet and exercise. These are hard times for medical staff, but these delays are not unusual, and anxiety can make them seem much longer.

Take care, and call again explaining your serious concern if things don't improve.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello, fellow cat lady!

First off, congrats on taking the bull by the horns. I hope your leg'll thank you properly before all this is over. (By healing well!). Excellent work on getting your numbers down. However... The nines you're seeing now may in part be due to milk sugars/lactose. There's quite a bit in a pint a day. So while you're certainly still off to a flying start, and fasting can help as you've found out already, you'll also have to figure out a sustainable way to get your blood sugars in the normal range for the future. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some.

I don't know Exenatide, just looked it up and found a few side effects, one of which you want to be particularly careful of... Hypo's. Keep an eye on your blood sugars if you do ditch the milk and switch to low carb eating, or go deeper into a (water) fast.

Be careful. Keep an eye on things. And continue to kick ***.
Jo

PS: I have a feeling you won't need a weight management team before long. You'll probably be a whole lot better before the end of that waiting list. And they'll wonder why you applied. ;)

Reactions: *madcatlady*

*madcatlady*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The leg infection was caused by my kitten scratching my ankle. It was a really superficial cut, I once had cellulitus from a shaving cut so I'm sure if I wasn't diabetic then it would have just healed in a day or two.

I had no idea that milk was so high in sugar, especially as it is the only thing I am ingesting. I'll go and buy some cream tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my family are not happy with me, my adult daughter has just begged me to eat something.

I'll have a look at all of the links you have all posted.

*madcatlady*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'll add my HBA1C was 48 before lockdown so I had reasonable control, I've gained 2 1/2 stone and my mobility is now really bad.