I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got to page 4 - where it states that low carb eating can help - but only short term, the benefit is no longer evident after 12 months - then I got to that simple diagram of carbs providing fuel for the muscles and brain.
Oh deary deary me.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I note that many of the contributors to this article are APDs (Accredited Practicing Dietitians), that is members of DAA (Dietitians Association of Australia (the registering authority).
In 2015 DAA deregistered an APD for promoting low carb diets for T2D. Whilst the dietitian in question based her work on the findings of the American Diabetes Association, the DAA still went ahead with the de-registration. It turns out that DAA are sponsored by the food industry, particularly manufacturers and sellers of cereals.
The constraint evident in the Diabetes Association statement here likely owes its presence to the despicable influence of the DAA. 'Nuff said.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I note that many of the contributors to this article are APDs (Accredited Practicing Dietitians), that is members of DAA (Dietitians Association of Australia (the registering authority).
In 2015 DAA deregistered an APD for promoting low carb diets for T2D. Whilst the dietitian in question based her work on the findings of the American Diabetes Association, the DAA still went ahead with the de-registration. It turns out that DAA are sponsored by the food industry, particularly manufacturers and sellers of cereals.
The constraint evident in the Diabetes Association statement here likely owes its presence to the despicable influence of the DAA. 'Nuff said.
I would like to think that the DAA would apologise to Jennifer Elliot and Gary Fettke but I don't think the chances are great. Here is a link to a Zoe Harcombe blog to which Jennifer Elliot contributes. You can catch up on her story.

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/10/jennifer-elliott-vs-dietitians-association-of-australia/

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I have read that article and others about Jenifer Elliot but will look up Gary Fettke !!
Here is a quote from his submission to the Senate Inquiry.

"My crime has been that of quality assurance and advocating preventive medicine for my patients. My recommendations on cutting sugar and processed food intake are those of the World Health Organization and the CSIRO. I have studied the science and biochemistry of our dietary guidelines and found them wanting in substance and riddled with vested interest politics. Raising these issues publicly has resulted in the parties with those vested interests attempting to silence me. The AHPRA process is being utilised in a recurring pattern, to me, to assist those parties. That has involved members of the Dietitians Association of Australia and, unfortunately, members of the Medical Board."

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
"For people with type 2 diabetes, there is reliable evidence that lower carb eating can be safe and useful in lowering average blood glucose levels in the short term (up to 6 months)."

Shame they don't give a reference to the reliable evidence that low carb only lowers BG in the short term. It doesn't make sense, but I expect I'm preaching to the converted.

"There are some practical considerations that need to be taken into account to ensure the eating plan is safe and enjoyable, provides adequate nutrition for general health, is culturally appropriate and fits into the person’s lifestyle."

Maybe eating foods that are enjoyable and fitting into a person's lifestyle was part of the original problem. Manufacturers are using fats and sugars to make their processed foods more enjoyable and easier to prepare to fit into people's lifestyles.

I think it's incredibly sad that so many people rely on the so called experts. Fortunately we know better and make our own decisions based on our experiences and not reliable evidence without a reference.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Here is a quote from his submission to the Senate Inquiry.

"My crime has been that of quality assurance and advocating preventive medicine for my patients. My recommendations on cutting sugar and processed food intake are those of the World Health Organization and the CSIRO. I have studied the science and biochemistry of our dietary guidelines and found them wanting in substance and riddled with vested interest politics. Raising these issues publicly has resulted in the parties with those vested interests attempting to silence me. The AHPRA process is being utilised in a recurring pattern, to me, to assist those parties. That has involved members of the Dietitians Association of Australia and, unfortunately, members of the Medical Board."
Thank you. No wonder a Senate inquiry was held but ? the result of that enquiry. APHRA's 'judgement' could be interpreted to prevent any doctor or nurse (including diabetes nurse educators) from providing any dietary advice to patient's without the say-so of DAA. Hypocrisy and nepotism at its finest.
All that threat does is clog up the health system with lots of unnecessary appointments, makes doctor's de-facto pill prescribers only and threatens health providers' role as practitioners of preventive health.
The centralising of registration of health practitioners in Australia has come at a heavy cost.