I Eat Porridge For Breakfast But Am Trying To Eat A Low Carb Diet

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about last nights left overs? Doesn’t have to be traditional breakfast food. Many cultures don’t have separate foods for breakfast.

Or continental cold meats and cheeses

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
An idea what it does to your blood sugar levels?

I have no idea about blood sugar levels, I was tested today at lloyds pharmacy for fasting glucose and it was 5.7, I think I have been pre diabetic for 18 years, but I don't have a meter myself. I do have hard core neuropathy, tingling and pain in hands and feet 24/7

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Functionologist that fasting test shows you’re prediabetic not the effect that the meal has on you. It’s likely meals like this are contributing to your condition and hastening the path to full blown diabetes.

Although you are only prediabetic the fact that you think it’s long standing and have symptoms can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3,6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this and how to use one to the best effect.

IMPORTANT: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and ideally do this with your dr. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Functionologist

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea about blood sugar levels, I was tested today at lloyds pharmacy for fasting glucose and it was 5.7, I think I have been pre diabetic for 18 years, but I don't have a meter myself. I do have hard core neuropathy, tingling and pain in hands and feet 24/7
You are eating starch and sugar at a time of day when I would be most insulin resistant - I would strongly advise that you test, and adapt your diet to reduce spikes. You could very well be having reasonably low levels at other times of day - Hba1c is an average, and I would far rather have all my readings in the normal range.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Back to porridge- how about chia pudding? Made with cream on holidays! Flavor any way you like. Throw in nuts. Add nut butter. I personally quit the oatmeal and switched to half an avocado. Kept the boiled egg and “decaf soy latte” but added cream to it and removed sugar. That is the one sweet flavor I actually miss, which I just realized. Very sweet creamy coffee... mmmmmmmm... nevermore....

Chalkie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Smoking/Bad attitudes/Swearing in front of Ladies and young children
Hi, is Porridge high in carbs

Chalkie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Smoking/Bad attitudes/Swearing in front of Ladies and young children

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my morning Porridge, have to keep to low carbs rest of the day. Thanks for your reply
Have you tested your response on your blood glucose meter? Only a very few of us can manage oats without a noticeable spike that can last quite some time. Starting the day that way isn’t really the best and many of us struggle with carbs most in the morning. Doing so every day will likely push your hb1ac up noticeably

There’s a coconut flour version on ditchthecarbs.com that @Rachox uses a lot or various chia seed versions that might meet your needs instead. Or switching to something entirely different.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
My porridge is a small handful of almond flakes with a little flax seed and cinnamon with either double cream or full fat Greek yoghurt, and has been for 7 years, since my diagnosis of T1.