I had my first real emergency today

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that I've been hypos in the past. But I've never "felt" them. This afternoon I went to 0.9 (yes) and I couldn't even put my shoes on. I could not walk! I couldn't do a f thing. I don't want to ever feel like that again. Ever. I'm just glad my mum was here

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been hypo before, lots of times. But never have a felt the utter lack of control. My heart rate must have been 180 (is that a symptom?) and I honesty could not put my shoes on. I couldn't got to the fridge to get an orange juice! I couldn't do a thing. The only thing I could do was look at my hands shaking

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well we won't ignore you and don't ignore us. Keep posting when you can to let us know how you are doing. :)
I won't ignore anyone on here ever. I just didn't know it could get so bad. What would I have done if Mum wasn't here? I couldn't get the stupid orange juice out of the fridge

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you had orange juice, thanks to your mum? Have you had anything else since then? Oh sorry, I see it was honey. Anything else?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Must have been very scary for you @plantae, I’m T2 not on any meds now but when first diagnosed I was on Gliclizide and had a nighttime hypo of 2.1 once and was by myself, managed to get downstairs.

knew I had to eat but couldn’t function well at all, managed eventually but that was after I’d tried to eat peanut butter that I’d spread on kitchen towel! - it was like an out of body experience I could see myself doing it I knew it was wrong but couldn’t stop myself. I did grab a drink of sons orange juice though which finally sorted me out, thank goodness for your mum

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So you had orange juice, thanks to your mum? Have you had anything else since then? Oh sorry, I see it was honey. Anything else?
Mum got me the orange juice. I had two sandwiches with honey (4 slices of bread) and I think 3 cups of milk. I had dinner as normal because I felt better after all of that. But I'm dropping, fast, again, I had 7 units of novorapid with dinner. But this doesn't feel right. I can barely type

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71 and zand

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must have been very scary for you @plantae, I’m T2 not on any meds now but when first diagnosed I was on Gliclizide and had a nighttime hypo of 2.1 once and was by myself, managed to get downstairs.

knew I had to eat but couldn’t function well at all, managed eventually but that was after I’d tried to eat peanut butter that I’d spread on kitchen towel! - it was like an out of body experience I could see myself doing it I knew it was wrong but couldn’t stop myself. I did grab a drink of sons orange juice though which finally sorted me out, thank goodness for your mum
It was terrifying. I could honestly barely move. I've had heaps off hypos in the past when I first started on insulin but nothing like today. If my mum wasn't here I'm not sure if I'd be typing this because I could not open the f fridge

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been hypo before, lots of times. But never have a felt the utter lack of control. My heart rate must have been 180 (is that a symptom?) and I honesty could not put my shoes on. I couldn't got to the fridge to get an orange juice! I couldn't do a thing. The only thing I could do was look at my hands shaking
I am pleased that your mother was with you.
Bad hypos do give you chest pains and make your heart race. A few years ago, before I had either Libre or Dexcom, I woke in the early hours with very bad chest pains. I knew that I ought to perform a finger-prick test but I passed out before I managed that. Fortunately, my liver compensated with glucose, and I came to several hours later. I woke up with a very bad headache and glucose readings of 24.
It was after that episode that I started to self-fund Libre. Now I rely on Dexcom (on prescription). I certainly hope not to have to repeat that painful experience. I am still amazed that I didn't die.

Last edited:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Just a suggestion might be worth getting a glycogen injection, they are available on prescription , I always have one in the fridge , very handy if you get a bad hypo like you had , your mum sounds totally aware and capable to give you it should it happen again , also setting alarms on glucose meter will help prevent reaching a low state in the first place

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a suggestion might be worth getting a glycogen injection, they are available on prescription , I always have one in the fridge , very handy if you get a bad hypo like you had , your mum sounds totally aware and capable to give you it should it happen again , also setting alarms on glucose meter will help prevent reaching a low state in the first place
Yeah I have to get one of those glycogen pens (but I would not have been able to do it today), Today was a wake up call. I need to reset my alarm settings as well because I honestly did not know how totally useless I'd be when *really* low. I now know. If I was alone today I don't think I'd be typing tonight. All I wanted to do was get orange juice (and put my boots on for some unknown reason) but I couldn't do either of those things!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd like to make this clear. I am not unused to hypos. But today was ridiculous. I could not function. I knew what to do I just couldn't do it

I have definitely had ones like that before - they can be absolutely terrifying at the time

Last one I had like that was about 12-15 years ago, was on my own, knew I had to phone my best friend for help as I was on my own, but couldn't work out how to use the phone, I was also convinced that time had slowed down so even if I could phone him then he wouldn't understand me (ok, I may have watched too many sci-fi films) - my liver did eventually rescue me - though not til after I'd clobbered my head on a solid wooden toilet seat (I'd obviously decided I need to go to the bathroom for no known reason) - I had a lump on my forehead for days .......

Luckily it's been a long time since that but yes ones like that can be terrifying - and luckily my liver came to the rescue (eventually).

But make sure you are fine now, and keep an eye on your levels for a good number of hours