I had my first real emergency today

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is the orange juice easy to open when hypo/confused? It can be a struggle to do everyday tasks when your brain is short on sugar....
Good point. Probably not, I couldn't get the straw out of the wrapper of one I had the other day. I bought more of the glucojel as well though but that's even harder to open. Chemist had no glucose tablets in stock. I wish they made them small so I didn't have chew them but I guess crushing them up won't effect things too much (maybe make them have a shorter shelf life, I don't know)

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first night at home by myself and it did not go well at all. Scrolling on my graph I went to below 1.0 at about 9:30-10ish which was 30 minutes after I had my lantus. It's now 12 midnight. I did not hear any alarms but dexcom clarity shows them. I know that I was angry at something at the time, or around about that time, and left my phone outside but this is not acceptable. I don't think I can live alone anymore unless I put much more solid barriers into place

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My first night at home by myself and it did not go well at all. Scrolling on my graph I went to below 1.0 at about 9:30-10ish which was 30 minutes after I had my lantus. It's now 12 midnight. I did not hear any alarms but dexcom clarity shows them. I know that I was angry at something at the time, or around about that time, and left my phone outside but this is not acceptable. I don't think I can live alone anymore unless I put much more solid barriers into place
What was you BG before you took your Lantus? Were you stable at that point or were you already dropping?
Did you still have any active insulin on board at that point?
Did you take the recommended much lower dose?
Did your last bad hypo happen within an hour after taking Lantus as well?

I think the first solid barrier to put in place is to not go anywhere without your phone, your glucose meter, and hypo treatment.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this a good idea? Should I get my BG up to above 5 or something before eating the crisps? I'm not sure if the OJ will work after eating all of these. The crisps don't work fast but they work for a long time. I'm going to eat the whole bag

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this a good idea? Should I get my BG up to above 5 or something before eating the crisps? I'm not sure if the OJ will work after eating all of these. The crisps don't work fast but they work for a long time. I'm going to eat the whole bag
Yes, best to get it up first with the OJ and only eat the crisps when you're in a safe range again to prevent a second drop.

• Informative
Reactions: plantae

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nah, it's peaked at 6.0. That's ok
Now eat those crisps so you won't drop again.
What was you BG before you took your Lantus? Were you stable at that point or were you already dropping?
Did you still have any active insulin on board at that point?
Did you take the recommended much lower dose?
Did your last bad hypo happen within an hour after taking Lantus as well?

I think the first solid barrier to put in place is to not go anywhere without your phone, your glucose meter, and hypo treatment.
What about those questions? They may be helpful in working out why you're getting those hypos.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now eat those crisps so you won't drop again.

What about those questions? They may be helpful in working out why you're getting those hypos.
I didn't see those questions! Sorry

a) Before lantus BG was about 5 mmol/L. I'm 6.4 right now (so I dropped to below 1, looking at my graph in less than an hour!)
b) Yes I had active novorapid on board (10 units), within 2 hours of my lantus (my ratio of novorapid for dinner is 1:10. I normally inject before eating but tonight injected after eating... the carb calc was correct)
c) I took the lower dose of lantus
d) The hypo when I couldn't move happened, I think (I'd have to look at my graphs), at about 2PM or 3 in the afternoon. I take my lantus at 9PM

The hypo I had tonight, looking at my graph and comment history, happened within 30 to 45 minutes of lantus. I.e. about 9:30PM and I injected at about 9 (give or take 10 minutes)

• Informative

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should add that I have extensive scarring on my stomach from 2 years of clexane injections. I don't know if this is affecting things, but probably

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and Lainie71

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't see those questions! Sorry
Nothing to be sorry about, you had a hypo to treat!
Yes I had active novorapid on board (10 units), within 2 hours of my lantus (my ratio of novorapid for dinner is 1:10. I normally inject before eating but tonight injected after eating... the carb calc was correct)
Don't you usually eat lowish carb?
Having 100 grams of carbs seems rather hard to dose for if you're not used to it. (I know for me, high carb meals are completely hit and miss, the ratios don't seem to follow the same rules as when having my usual low carb meals.)
It could have been this insulin kicking in, peak time is often about 2 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM and JAT1

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I should add that I have extensive scarring on my stomach from 2 years of clexane injections. I don't know if this is affecting things, but probably
Have you tried injecting in other locations.... Thighs, buttocks, arms???

I hope you have another appointment with your team very soon...

No chance you could have accidentally double dosed the lantus, or taken the bolus insulin by mistake? (I recently accidentally put my bolus humalog in my lantus pen and I had a couple of days of roller coaster graphs before I realised... :) )

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing to be sorry about, you had a hypo to treat!

Don't you usually eat lowish carb?
Having 100 grams of carbs seems rather hard to dose for if you're not used to it. (I know for me, high carb meals are completely hit and miss, the ratios don't seem to follow the same rules as when having my usual low carb meals.)
It could have been this insulin kicking in, peak time is often about 2 hours.
Yes I normally eat lowish carb but considering I'd been so low all day I decided to eat fried rice, 2 ice creams, a lot of crisps, and I'd had a couple of orange juices as well. I was a bit uncertain but triple-checked the numbers in cronometer and I'd eaten about 120g (not 100) of carbs so injected the bolus for 100g thinking I'd be on the safe side... normally for dinner I have a much lower dose than what I had last night so it it was, for me, a high dose (for breakfast it wouldn't have been unusual). Normally my dinner is 5-10g carbs, 20 at the most if I have a treat. Looking at my spreadsheet (cronometer) now I may have miscalculated the carbs in the rice because neither the packet nor any online sources I could find said if the nutrition info was cooked or dry weight. I need to find that out before I cook it again because the difference makes a huge difference to the carb calcs. I normally don't dose at all for rice because I literally only have a tablespoon, but last night I had a cup. If novorapid kicks in or peaks at about 2 hours then that's what it was for sure. Maybe until this is sorted out it's not the best time to be experimenting :)