I Hate Exercise But Im Forcing Myself

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:bigtears: Being a big guy 150kg i have always hated exercise. I would rather read a book than exercise and im more a home body sitting my big fat bum :couchpotato:on the computer rather than out walking ,but im forcing myself now to go to my local 24 hour gym which luckily for me is only a 5 minute walk away im lucky :happy:

Having just been disgnosed as type 2 diabetes im scared of going blind like my Doctor tells me, im scared of losing my job if my sickness gets worser,im sick of taking this medication, im scared of dying before 60yo, so i hop off to the gym walk in whilst everyone looks at the big fat guy ( they probaly arent but i think it :rolleyes:)

Im actually puffing as i arrive at the gym as its all uphill walking ,anyway i stagger over to the treadmill and force myself to use it, i worked out to start slowly on the speed then increase it.gradually

I stay about 15 minutes after that im too tired ,do about 200 calories by walking fast,incline hill etc ,after that im sweating and thinking about getting a Taxi to the 100 metres to my front door.:***:

Plus another motivation is to lose weight for my next overseas trip in September , I remember last year i was on a flight sitting in the cabin at the beginning of the journey when the air hostess standing at the front shouts out “ Do you need a extendable belt ???
Well everyone in front turned around to look who she was talking to so did i until i worked out she was talking to me !!!!! :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

Hotpepper20000

:bigtears: Being a big guy 150kg i have always hated exercise. I would rather read a book than exercise and im more a home body sitting my big fat bum :couchpotato:on the computer rather than out walking ,but im forcing myself now to go to my local 24 hour gym which luckily for me is only a 5 minute walk away im lucky :happy:

Having just been disgnosed as type 2 diabetes im scared of going blind like my Doctor tells me, im scared of losing my job if my sickness gets worser so i hop off to the gym walk in whilst everyone looks at the big fat guy ( they probaly arent but i think it :rolleyes:)

Im actually puffing as i arrive at the gym as its all uphill walking ,anyway i stagger over to the treadmill and force myself to use it, i worked iut to start slowly on the speed then increase it.gradually

I stay about 15 minutes after that im too tired ,do about 200 calories by walking fast,incline hill etc ,after that im sweating and thinking about getting a Taxi to the 100 metres to my front door.:***:
How about just starting out with walking?
No need to kill yourself at the gym.
Everyday just a casual walk and a little bit farther.
What you eat is key to BG control.
Any changes you make have to be sustainable for the long haul. If you hate exercising then dont go to the gym.
Many on this forum including me have got control with out setting foot in a gym.

Reactions: Guzzler

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Congrats on going to the gym. When I lived in Sydney (up to a year ago) I attended the gym with my husband and we had a weekly session with a personal trainer who was T1. He had actually tried advertising his services to doctor's surgeries etc so as to get other diabetics to train but didn't get any takers :(. We went because I was getting back issues at 50 and didn't want to end up in a wheelchair (like you I hated exercise) and am glad to say that 6 years later my back issues have gone away and I'm much fitter.

But it is hard at the beginning, particularly if you're watching lots of much fitter people strut their stuff.

I'd recommend going with a friend if possible, and consider getting a personal trainer if finances permit.

Reactions: Prem51

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know Hotpepper but i need to exercise , i dint think its good sitting by the computer all day then going to a office job all day and doing no exercise .

I bought myself a fitbit watch and im trying to get up to the 10,000 steps,so far even with the treadmill im only getting up to 2500 steps, but you know what ,i feel better ,

Maybe its mind over matter ,but i walked up to the local supermarket the other day and i wasnt puffing as much,usually im sweating and puffing but this time i found it much easier .
I hate the treadmill i get bored but i need to disclipine myself

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congrats on going to the gym. When I lived in Sydney (up to a year ago) I attended the gym with my husband and we had a weekly session with a personal trainer who was T1. He had actually tried advertising his services to doctor's surgeries etc so as to get other diabetics to train but didn't get any takers :(. We went because I was getting back issues at 50 and didn't want to end up in a wheelchair (like you I hated exercise) and am glad to say that 6 years later my back issues have gone away and I'm much fitter.

But it is hard at the beginning, particularly if you're watching lots of much fitter people strut their stuff.

I'd recommend going with a friend if possible, and consider getting a personal trainer if finances permit.
Yes i noticed the personal trainer at my gym is Type 1 too , i think is name is Wes?
Im in the East Sydney area and i use the 24 hour gym so im lucky its close

Hotpepper20000

I know Hotpepper but i need to exercise , i dint think its good sitting by the computer all day then going to a office job all day and doing no exercise .

I bought myself a fitbit watch and im trying to get up to the 10,000 steps,so far even with the treadmill im only getting up to 2500 steps, but you know what ,i feel better ,

Maybe its mind over matter ,but i walked up to the local supermarket the other day and i wasnt puffing as much,usually im sweating and puffing but this time i found it much easier .
Oh I’m not saying movement nt isn’t important. Walking is great. I think it’s a fantastic start to walk to the supermarket. Walking is very healthy
Going to the gym is a whole other level. I understand how you wouldn’t enjoy it.

Last edited:

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im not sure how it works but its getting rid of excess sugar as we are walking ,well thats what Dr told me anyway

I cant run at the moment ,dont think i will try it either :Dwell...not for a long time anyway,but wonder if running is quicker at using the sugar.

I mean do you have to sweat and be huffing and puffing,i was like that yesterday in the gym and started feeling a bit dizzy , i would hate someone having to give me mouth to mouth resuscitation :jimlad:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You are nowhere near ready for a gym IMO. Not at that weight. You need to walk first and build from there

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
You are nowhere near ready for a gym IMO. Not at that weight. You need to walk first and build from there
And serious kJ reduction in diet to lose weight.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Australiadiabetic2 welcome to the Forum! I would say your heart is in the right place to want to increase your activity, but you are trying to do something that perhaps you are not ready for.....putting extra stress on yourself - physically and emotionally - will only cause you to increase in your blood sugars....I just finished reading Dr. Jason Fung's new book The Diabetic Code - really a must read for new diabetics and us "oldies" who have been dealing with it for a long time.

I have to admit I did a "YES" in his discussion about exercising and how it really hasn't proven to be that helpful.....it's the diet that needs attention - low carb, enough protein and enough fat to help you feel satiated....and intermittent fasting - 16 hours, 30 hours, 36 hours per day.....whatever is best for the individual as we are definitely not all created the same!!

I haven't seen anything about meds, what style of eating you have chosen, etc. so I will tag @daisy1 to give you the welcome package on eating for successful blood sugar control. I would say that is really where you need to focus at this time and do start to walk more, get up every hour and walk around the house - to the bathroom, to the kitchen to fill your water glass.....do a few simple stretches, arm swings, whatever.....speaking of the computer, you can find lots of free online exercise sessions that would be for exercise newbies that might interest you....there are even walking plans!

Take care, ask all the questions you want - the Forum is filled with lots of knowledgeable people and we all want success for every member!! Just remember a couple of things - this is a marathon you have embarked upon, not a sprint - you are unique and your success will depend on how you treat your body - by that I mean what food you put into it for fuel and enjoyment.....and lastly, you are not alone - we are cheering you on!! Blessings/L

Oops! Just read another post of yours and daisy was tagged so you have the info - now need to use it!!L

Reactions: briped and Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In my opinion, weight loss is 90% diet. The rest is excercise and if that gym going becomes a chore then eventually one gives up.

Walking is a great aid especially ten to twenty minutes after a meal, this is where a dog comes in really handy! Resistive training is said to be more beneficial so weights, swimming and using bands are ideas for you.

I have lost weight, lowered my A1c, improved my mobility and improved my chances re complications all without any regimented excercise. It can be done, though I would still say that some excercise is definitely an aid where weight loss and Diabetes management are concerned.

D

Deleted Account

I enjoy exercise ... but not every type of exercise.
And I think that is the point - I find it strange when someone says "I hate exercise". In my mind, they haven't found the exercise they enjoy. It may be the gym, it may be walking, it may be running, it may be dancing, it may be gardening, it may be housework (I don't understand that one), it may be swimming, ...

If you go to the gym to lose weight, it seems inevitable that it will become a chore. If you do the gardening because you love to eat freshly grown vegetables or love to see the flower blooming, you will be more motivated to carry on.

I can't comment on weight loss and whether it is more successful and maintainable through exercise. The purpose of exercise is far more than weight loss - it improves bone density, it lowers the risk of heart disease, it increases lung capacity, it keeps you independent (if you can lift those boxes, you don't need someone else to do it), it saves you money (you don't have to pay someone to lift boxes), it is good for the environment (that someone doesn't have to drive to your house with those boxes), ...

For me, it makes me feel alive and keeps me feeling that way.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Australiadiabetic2 - If you have had an extended period without any meaningful exercise, then jumping right into what feels like marathon running may not be sustainable. That comment isn't based on you, but on the basis of the million and one peoplke start diets/gym/giving up drinking, or whatever, with amazing gusto, then burn out after a short few days or weeks.

I'm quite an active person, but I know I'm never going to be going to the gym most days of the week, so since diagnosis (over 4 years ago), I have just made sure that when I go to the supermarket/shopping or whatever, I don't park closest to the entrance/exit. I park a bit further away and it means I do a few extra steps a day. The car also picks up far, far fewer supermarket dings from other car doors etc.

When I go to our no-horse-town, I always park at one end of the main shopping drag, but make sure I go to the bottom and come back, whilst running my errands. That adds around 2000 steps in itself.

If I am running errands in the vollage; to the post office or whatever, I simply don't take the car, but stroll or get my bicycle out. I do make an exception to this rule if the weather is bad.

After a short while, these things become a benign habit and I just don't think about it at all, but my FitBit does show the extra activity, against the days when I have been tethered to home for whatever reason.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
In my opinion, weight loss is 90% diet. The rest is excercise and if that gym going becomes a chore then eventually one gives up.

Walking is a great aid especially ten to twenty minutes after a meal, this is where a dog comes in really handy! Resistive training is said to be more beneficial so weights, swimming and using bands are ideas for you.

I have lost weight, lowered my A1c, improved my mobility and improved my chances re complications all without any regimented excercise. It can be done, though I would still say that some excercise is definitely an aid where weight loss and Diabetes management are concerned.

Yes, that's all true. Consider that there is enough energy in 1 slice of bread to account for a 3km jog. Exercise plays only a small part in weight loss. There are of course a plethora of other benefits but weight loss is way down the list.

At 150kg, Aussie would be packing away around 20,000 kJ worth of grub every day. Cut that back to 15,000 and lose about 1kg every week. Keep dropping it as the weight falls off. Prepare for the long haul. Losing around 50kg takes the dedicated and focused about two years.

The neat thing about the diabetes diagnosis is that level kJ reduction is easily accomplished simply by just seriously curtailing the carbs and not replacing them with anything else.
Glenn

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well im losing weight in the last week and not really dieting

Stayed off breads pasta etc but eating fried

bacon , everyone here says its ok so im happy

But i think that treadmill walk for 15 minutes a day is cutting my weight

Reactions: Bobbin and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Having just been disgnosed as type 2 diabetes im scared of going blind like my Doctor tells me, im scared of losing my job if my sickness gets worser,im sick of taking this medication, im scared of dying before 60yo, so i hop off to the gym walk in whilst everyone looks at the big fat guy ( they probaly arent but i think it :rolleyes:)

Im actually puffing as i arrive at the gym as its all uphill walking ,anyway i stagger over to the treadmill and force myself to use it, i worked out to start slowly on the speed then increase it.gradually

Plus another motivation is to lose weight for my next overseas trip in September , I remember last year i was on a flight sitting in the cabin at the beginning of the journey when the air hostess standing at the front shouts out “ Do you need a extendable belt ???
Well everyone in front turned around to look who she was talking to so did i until i worked out she was talking to me !!!!! :mad:
Walking in a stress-free way will make a huge difference. Walking alone.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Well im losing weight in the last week and not really dieting

Stayed off breads pasta etc but eating fried

bacon , everyone here says its ok so im happy

But i think that treadmill walk for 15 minutes a day is cutting my weight

Exercise is good for you. Add up your kilojoules and I'll bet my balls that you've reduced your intake by just cutting the things you say. A week is a bit early to tell. you can lose a kg by just not drinking a litre of water. Most of the kJs we eat is chewed up by our brain and keeping our body at 36.5 degrees all day. Moving around actually doesn't use too much. Good to see you tucking into the bacon. Nice little perk isn't it.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This sounds good. I usually walk a lot, but I've had periods when I've been less physically active, and then I find walking harder for a bit, and then it gets easier again.

Just make sure that you increase gradually, and as you get fitter you can do more and more

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Im not sure how it works but its getting rid of excess sugar as we are walking ,well thats what Dr told me anyway

I cant run at the moment ,dont think i will try it either :Dwell...not for a long time anyway,but wonder if running is quicker at using the sugar.

I mean do you have to sweat and be huffing and puffing,i was like that yesterday in the gym and started feeling a bit dizzy , i would hate someone having to give me mouth to mouth resuscitation :jimlad:
I agree with others that the gym is a bit extreme in the early stages. The best exercise is cycling or swimming because it puts less strain on the joints. Walking is a good substitute, but you do need to do at least 30 minutes a day of moderate to brisk walking.
We have walking clubs her in the UK. They are excellent as you are helped along by a group of like-minded people. If you don't have one in your area why don't you start one? Even if you only get a handful of members it will help enormously with your motivation. Lastly, don't put yourself down. Lots of people are overweight. You clearly want to do something about it and that alone singles you out from the heard. Keep it up and the results will come. Combine the exercise with a LCHF diet and they will come a lot quicker. I speak from experience having reduced by BMI from 28.7 to 23.8 in six months.