I have been a really bad girl

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Life can be difficult and stressful for us all but I have been really stupid. I am type 2 diabetic since 2010.
In November I had some family issues, basically my mum died of secondary cancer, I also lost my dad back in April. I am my husbands full time carer(he has early onset dementia) so with all that going on I just stopped taking my medication, I just could not be ***** to be constantly on the toilet in strange places. And I wasn't eating as I should, along with not sleeping and being diagnosed with arthritis in my very painful hip, I will say I was a fed up mess.
So after a month abroad as we do every year I came back on the 12th Feb and decided enough was enough I was going back on my meds.
I have my yearly review on the 6th of March and know I am in for a telling off, but I am back with the program so to speak, I follow a low carb eating plan ( not a diet, hate that saying) I have lost 5 kilos in weight when I was away and still am trying to loose more. my Hba1c was 70 two years ago and had blood test last week and is now 80 arrrrhhh, my own fault. So now I back on meds how long would you all reckon it will take to get back down ? I feeling motivated at the moment but it's not easy!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you taking?
From the symptoms you were on Metformin, but that doesn't seem to be essential for low blood glucose.
I have lowered my intake of carbs to about 40 gm a day max as I want to be sure of a 'pass' when I get a blood test done - whenever that might be, but that is all I think I to need to do. I got the major drop, down from 91 to 47 eating more and using my meter so it might help to provide motivation if we test to check on after meal spikes.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hello there, Hpetal. It's not long until 6th March. You have been through a difficult ordeal. Could you explain this at your annual review and ask their advice? Perhaps they will recommend different medication as there are many alternatives. Best wishes for a better future.:)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, you haven't been a 'really bad girl' @Hpetal. The breaking strain of coping with all that you have had to reached its limit and something had to give. We aren't robots: we bend and twist and take on our shoulders the huge load that life can sometimes throw at us. You've got back on track, you're low-carbing again and determined to get back down again. It won't take long, and just ride the telling-off if you get one. Just keep that motivation happy and well done for seizing it :)

Reactions: AloeSvea

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Life happens to us while we are dealing with other stuff. Don't beat yourself up, you have had a great, prolonged time of stress and that would affect most people. Now that you are back in the saddle, so to speak, you can make your own health the priority. Your numbers can come down fairly quickly depending on your diet and your medication. My own numbers improved month by month with changes to my diet but may have come down more quickly with a modicum of excercise (I am disabled so excercise is beyond me but members report that just walking more and regularly helps their numbers).

As to be being "told off" by the Diabetes Nurse or GP, remember that you are in charge of your own health as an adult so do not worry about being chastised by someone who, probably, has not got your condition and may not appreciate the stress that you have been under. Wipe the slate clean and start again today.

My condolences on your losses. I hope that your husband is getting appropriate treatment and that you are being supported by your medical team. Best wishes.

Reactions: Lynne_harris

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've not been stupid. Life's got in the way. Which it does to us all. You've recognised what's happened and you're doing something about it. Explain all that at your review and keep on going as you are.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
You have been struggling to cope with several terrible events in your life. Cut yourself some slack and if you're now in a position to take control of health do so. But don't berate yourself for losing your way for a while. I hope that you can get some support for your husband and yourself. I'm sending you a virtual massive hug. Dx

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
If your medical team have any sense and your figures are suddenly worse than they have been they will ask you what has been going on and then listen. It is your opportunity to explain the stresses you have been dealing with and possibly to get some extra help for yourself and your husband if you want it. We have all been told off at some point in our lives by someone who has no idea, agreed with them and let it wash over, in one ear and out the other. It's not pleasant for a couple of minutes but then we walk away and get on with our lives. You are already taking control back for yourself so perhaps a review in 6 months rather than a year to make sure that everything is OK. Don't feel intimidated, you are doing a sterling job.

Reactions: Sue192

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Thanks everyone, feeling alot more positive that I can get alot better numbers in afew months as I always feel better in the spring and summer as I do more outside, gardening and out with visitors.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on no medication and have dropped my HbA1C from 99 to 41 after I stopped metformin. A low carb diet is very effective in lowering blood sugars. Get a glucose meter to check which foods spike your blood sugars and avoid them. Typically, this means cutting out breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Avoid fruit juice and fruit like bananas and grapes. See www.dietdoctor.com for some low carb inspiration.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I am on no medication and have dropped my HbA1C from 99 to 41 after I stopped metformin. A low carb diet is very effective in lowering blood sugars. Get a glucose meter to check which foods spike your blood sugars and avoid them. Typically, this means cutting out breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Avoid fruit juice and fruit like bananas and grapes. See www.dietdoctor.com for some low carb inspiration.

Thanks for the advice and I do have a meter and do test . I do know most foods that do not suit me. apples are a no no, as you say the avoid foods white bread is a def not have. I am on a SR glucoghage as I just can not tolerate normal metformin. I still have bathroom problems, I also take glicazide, I seriously doubt metformin for lowering bgl and will be asking for a change when i go to my review next week. I have been t2 since 2010 s0 not a newbie thats for sure.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Thanks everyone, feeling alot more positive that I can get alot better numbers in afew months as I always feel better in the spring and summer as I do more outside, gardening and out with visitors.
Sending hugs. You have been through a very tough time. X