I have been sacked because of my diabetes

Rik

I have been riding motorcycle funerals for more than 4 years.
Because of a minor incident the owner of the company, a vicar, has sacked me.
The only reason is because of my diabetes.

I have been diabetic for more than 32 years. Very well controlled, using DAFNE. Still have all my feeling, no eye problems, don’t even wear glasses. Yet a man of god has sacked me.

I am rather annoyed to say the least.

Do I have any legal thing I can do to get some recompense?

Rik.

redrevis

Have a look in the employment forum at the very bottom of the board index (this thread will get moved there by a mod), lots of good info in there. But did the vicar actually say his reason is "because you are diabetic" or was his reason because your 'incident' was a sackable offense? Without knowing all the details of what happened, no-one can say where you stand from a legal point of view.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Redrevis is quite right and yes we did move it to the Employment Forum...... :D

First of all Employment Law is a minefield for the unwary. I suggest you contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau who are usually very good at advising on this sort of thing. If there isn't one local you can also do it online here:

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

As has been asked, what exactly was 'the incident' that led to your sacking ? Was anything put in writing ?

Make sure from now onwards you document everything that takes place, verbal converstaions, letters, phone calls etc, dates/times/people etc. Write using Recorded Delivery asking for written reasons for your dismissal and see if that backs up your allegation that it is solely because you are a Diabetic. Don't delay as that can cause you problems if you do eventually get to a Tribunal.

Let us know how you get on.

Ken

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you actually got any household insurance? Has it got legal cover cover?

We always take legal aid with our house insurance, as my husband is in a work place without unions and it has been known to be unscrupulous with others on dealing with HR issues. (And it's cheaper than paying union dues each week!), and they give you advice normally within 2 hours whether it is day or night.
We've always used it, even for advice for friends who have been in awkward employment situations.

If you haven't got household insurance with legal cover, then as Ken says get CAB advice urgently.