I have been told I have a ' slightly fatty liver'

oliveview

So I need to get my weight down by about 6kg and exercise more. I am gradually being weaned off prednisone, which I have been taking for four and a half months ( now taking mexotrexate for osteoarthritis ) the Prednisone played havoc with my glucose, so much I stopped testing, only first thing in the morning (6.6-7.5 range ) Now I have been told I have small stones in my liver and my lipids are raised.

I am looking at the Low Carb Diabetes Cookbook but lots of the recipes contain fat, where do I go? Totally confused by it all. I take gliclazide normally twice a day but since on the steroids I take gliclazide 3 times a day, the Dr said once the steroids finish I will be back to twice a day. Normally my cholesterol levels are good, but the last blood test they were not so good, the bad side, my triglycerides which were always good had changed a bit too. I am putting it down to the medication.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without excessive carbohydrates fat in the diet is fine ( from natural sources not seed oils).

By cutting carbs as much as possible you'll probably find weight loss, arthritis and NAFLD will reduce or even disappear altogether. Your diabetes will go away too. Total cholesterol levels are pretty meaningless .. did you have a full lipid panel test done?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My fatty liver improved on low carb, and my triglycerides.

Good luck with all your future results after coming off steroids.

Reactions: oliveview

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ivor Cummins did a great video as he cured his fatty liver with the real food i.e. cut out processed carbohydrates and ate as much fat as that which comes naturally with meat, fish, eggs and dairy!
It is a shame that 'fat' in food is associated with the fat on our bodies when in reality it is the excess carbs that give us excess fat in the wrong places and cause diabetes, and the geese fatty livers (foie gras anyone?).