I Kicked Off...

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed in Jan 18 with HB1AC 83. In February saw consultant for 1st time, everything was new and meeting a blur, received next apt date for July. During this time more educated on condition through forum and other means, so felt I would be more prepared on next visit. Had to ring hospital for a reason a week prior to the apt date of 10th July, Only to be told by receptionist my apt was cancelled, I was opened mouthed not really taking in what she was saying, my husband only just managed to book day off! I asked what the new date was, DEC... well I'm sorry I saw red, couldn't believe with such a condition, they found it acceptable to leave a patient waiting another 6mths and therefore nearly a total of 10mths! Long story short, the manager called me back with apt for the next day after original, so 11th July. As it happens apt went really well, my levels now down to 36 and organs functioning well.

I mention this to say, I've read people talking about cancelled apts, well you don't have to put up with it, you really have to fight for your rights. Don't get me wrong I wasn't abusive to the receptionist, I'm just good with the spoken word and would use legal jargon.

On my visit it was pointed out though, vitamin D is low and calcium. But also I don't recognise hypos very well, which is of concern for obvious reasons, not sure if there is a name for it... are their other people in the forum who don't recognise hypos very well?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
On my visit it was pointed out though, vitamin D is low and calcium. But also I don't recognise hypos very well, which is of concern for obvious reasons, not sure if there is a name for it... are their other people in the forum who don't recognise hypos very well?

It's quite common, unfortunately. Hypo unawareness? How low do you go before getting symptoms? Or have you had to be rescued by a family member or friend? It's an argument for getting a continuous glucose monitor, possibly alarmed.

Reactions: Prem51 and Mags H

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I concur re appointments. An eye appointment for further eye injections has now been cancelled 4 times and all within the last few weeks with 48 hours notice. I have a new one and will definitely be complaining big time if the one for next Saturday morning is cancelled. I am not working at the moment but they are not aware of that and I can only imagine what HRs thoughts would have been if I had been working.

Reactions: Mags H and Prem51

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite common, unfortunately. Hypo unawareness? How low do you go before getting symptoms? Or have you had to be rescued by a family member or friend? It's an argument for getting a continuous glucose monitor, possibly alarmed.
Thank you that is a good point, will discuss with my gp. I've been in 2's n 3's and not really noticed. Was in hosp for something separate and med staff noticed difference in my demeanour when in lower 3 range, but I wasn't aware.

Reactions: Prem51