I Know It's Early But I Don't How Much I Can Take Of This!!!

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
Ok so yesterday evening I posted a thread on the fact that I was was having highs of about 10 every evening but I have just woken up at 4 am to 15.0.
So when I woke up I got angry but I'm not sure how long u can take this disease.
This is becoming impossible to mange I'm having 1.3s to 25.0s all in a couple of weeks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @james122 sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with your diabetes.

You also said in your thread yesterday that you felt you had tried everything - but then said you haven't tried a basal test. Do please try it, getting your basal dose right is the first step in enabling good diabetic management. Once you know the background insulin is doing its job you can then work out you insulin to carb ratio by trial and error.

It is a condition that is difficult to manage but there are steps to take that provide a route to management:
  • Step 1 - basal test
  • Step 2 - trial and error to work out your insulin to carb ratio
  • Step 3 - experiment with bolus timing
These steps should help avoid those big swings which must be making you feel rotten.

You should also remember that swinging blood sugars do things to your mood - make you angry and irritable. So when you are in that mind set it can be difficult to realise that you have the power to take steps to manage this condition. Yep, those steps won't always work because our bodies sometime like to do unexpected things. But you can get yourself knowledge and the tools to deal with those unexpected things.

Other things you might consider to help you get to grips with managing diabetes include:
  • Read "think like a pancreas" - it's a great book which discusses all the basics a type 1 needs to be aware of when it comes to managing their condition
  • Ask to go on a DAFNE course - this would give you the opportunity to meet other diabetics and discuss how everyone manages, it will also discuss a route map to finding a way to manage your diabetes
  • Ask your GP/diabetic team for a referral to a psychologist so you have someone to talk about how difficult you are finding diabetes to live with - they will be able to discuss tools for how to manage your anger at the condition.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello James - hope you are feeling better this morning, sometimes a good sleep can make a hard situation seem alot better. Please take on board the advice given by other members and try some basal testing if you are unhappy with your results and as mentioned by @catapillar please also consult your GP regarding your emotions, they are there to support you mentally and physically.

I know from experience that going high/low can contribute to low mood, so have some comfort in knowing that maintaining more stable BG levels will also help you mentally cope better, please try the suggestions given and let us know how you get on ?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @james122 I haven't got any extra pearls of wisdom for you but just wanted to say that there are loads of people here who understand how you're feeling and you CAN pull things around. Take it one step at a time and 'use' us whenever you want more info or support or just to rant and scream

alaska

If you can afford it, seriously consider getting a CGM or a FreeStyle Libre.

CGM readouts mean you get to see when the blood sugar rose and work out what you can do about it.

CGM is your chance to stick a middle finger up back at this disease.

Low carb, or at least reduced carb meals, is the other no-brainer way to get this immensely complicated and hurtful disease under your own control.

I felt my life was totally out of control until I got jealous of someone with type 1 on the forum here (in 2009 or 2010) and decided to copy his low carb approach. 6 years later and I think, thank the heavens I took that path.

My life has improved immeasurably through low carb and now with a Libre too, figures in the 10s are becoming something of a rarity.

Good luck and don't give up.

Ed

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, the only way to avoid those swings was to go low carb. I follow the Bernstein method. 6 carbs BF 12 lunch and dinner. Actually I don't even eat that many. That being said, you will most likely NEED to lower insulin doses. Low carb is not for everyone but it sure is for me. I do not like fluctuating bs. As others have said it makes me moody. I eat the same macros for every meal of fat protein and carbs. 80/15/5. I use the same bolus for all meals. Not many swings or surprises. Many find my way of eating boring but I love my food and have a good variety.

Agree to finding the right basal dose. Basal keeps me flat during the night and I use bolus only for meals.

Just know you are not alone. We have been there, and some days still are.

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear your having a hard time it can be such a struggle sometimes. Have you tried going carb free for a day? Seeing if you are having something happen before your high. Hopefully you will feel better soon there are loads of people supporting you on here

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said, get the Basal right before adjusting the Bolus ratio. I assume you are carb-counting? Reduce the carbs in your diet to minimise blood sugar swings. What is you BMI?