I met someone

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
recently, who made such an impression on me, it's unbelievable. During my recent stay in the uber luxurious Ward D2, I was intriduced to a chap called Philip, in his 70's but full of life and character, and he asked me could I help him out by setting up his patientline service for him. Then he asked me could I help him with his mobile phone, as it was new, he was struggling to do things, could not hear people very well etc etc - again I sorted all that out for him. He thanked me profusely each time he asked me to do something, and alwasy said "i'm sorry to mither you Jim" or words along those lines.

I offered to go to his house and sort his PC for him, and he asked me what I would charge. I merely replied " A good sandwich and a glass of red wine" He accepted my offer.

Philip was let out of hospital the same day as I was, he was just waiting for his lift home when I left and he promised he would ring me.
I had a phone call from his wife saying that he'd taken a turn for the worse, and could I pop round as he wanted me to give him some advice about selling his car - I told his wife I was away for a couple of days but would be back home on sunday, and I would pop round then. She told me that it may be too late then !
I just said a few words to her " Tell him to wait till Sunday, He owes me a sandwich and a glass of red wine" with a giggle she agreed to pass the message on, She then said Phil said he would wait for me first

I turned up on Sunday and sorted out the PC, told him what he should advertise his car for and politely declined the sandwich and a glass of red. He shook my hand and said to me " your a gentleman Jim, one of life's best, and i'll see you in heaven one day where a glass of the finest red and teh best sandwich you will ever have will await you " I merely replied " your on this earth a long time yet, I dont let good people die on me "

Around midnight, I felt this tremedous urge to ring Philip - I knew something was not right. I knew deep down Philip had gone.
I rang Philip's home this morning and spoke to his wife, I asked her how she was and how Philip was - the silence confirmed what I already knew. I just said " Midnight on Sunday "
Philip passed away @ 11.55pm on Sunday evening - He kept his promise to wait till I got there

That day I met a chap who gave me a wonderful insight into his life, and the fact he knew he was dying but was facing it with all the courage he had - I wish I could only ever be that strong in my life

I'll finish by just saying:

Philip, I know you cant read this, you were a gentleman and one of the most interesting people I have had the pleasure to meet in my life, may you Rest In Peace, no more suffering and i'm looking forwward to that sandwich and a glass of the finest red.

Jimbo

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Jimbo,
i wish i could write more, but i can't see the keyboard for the tears. You made a difference to that gentleman and restored his faith in human nature, thats why he waited, to return your kindness.
I will think of Philip and especially his wife, it is not for the life that has gone, that we should mourn, but for those loved ones that are left behind. Memories
Suzi x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Peace to Philip,and to you,Jim, the knowledge that,just for a while you touched and made a difference to another life.May we all get the chance,as we make our way through this life,to do the same.You are a gentleman ,Jim,we need more like you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
What a great man to meet.!

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
What a touching story Jimbo, you have done yourself proud. It's not very often you meet someone who touches you that way, but you have really struck a chord with me. My dad died on 24th of September after a fall from his ladder while window cleaning. He had an operation to remove a blood clot on his brain but he never regained consciousness. My family visited him every day in hospital and he hung on until 2 days after the 20th anniversary of his dad's death. Every time my 15 year old son saw him he said he had faith in him, but sadly it wasn't enough. I know your family is aware of what a kind and considerate man you are, and I am sure Phil's wife is as well.

RIP Philip

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
I always meet the most fantastic people in hospital, maybe its because we have more time to talk & listen there instead of being busy with our daily lives. :)

U Rock Jim !
R.I.P. Philip x

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
ChezMorgan said:
I always meet the most fantastic people in hospital, maybe its because we have more time to talk & listen there instead of being busy with our daily lives. :)

U know something Chez - I think you have just hit the nail on the head there. I have to admit, if i'd have seen Philip in the street, I may not have given him a second glance. If I met any of you in the street, without knowing who you are i'd more than likely just walk past you - mainly becasue we have nothing in common. How wrong we can be !!

It's opened my eyes for sure to the things we DON'T do

Jimbo

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
The kindness one sows in life shall be returned and I'm sure that you will meet up with Philip (it's a good name) in the hereafter (wherever that might be and hopefully a longtime hence) I am sure you shall find again a strong bond of friendship.

Thanks for sharing a moving story from real life.

xxx