I Reversed Type 2 following Low Carb High Fat

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed Type 2 in November 2016 with an HBA1C of 60, my cholesterol was 7.4, I was 19 stone 4lbs - heavy!!
Before being diagnosed I thought I ate relatively healthily although my diet did consist of massive amounts of carbs i.e. pasta, rice, potatoes, starchy veg.

Thankfully I read about the LCHF (Low carb high fat) diet successes, downloaded the app and took the bull by the horns to tackle type 2 head on. Changed my diet using substitutes for pasta, rice etc and stopped drinking beer (Wines and spirits are ok), eating good fats and butter. I also go for an evening walk for about 2 miles after my dinner most nights as more exercise is important to help lchf work.

I had my review this morning with my GP who congratulated me on achieving HBA1C of 37, cholesterol 5.5 and I now weigh 17 stone 2lbs. I am absolutely blown away with my results.

I will continue to follow the lchf lifestyle as I actually enjoy it - what's not to like about fry ups in the morning!
I recommend LCHF diet to anyone who is diagnosed type 2 and I hope you have the same success as me.

Thanks to everyone who has posted advice and information on this forum, for me it literally has been a lifesaver! THANK YOU!

Congratulations!!!

What does your blood glucose level readings show?

Reactions: roofytook72

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Congratulations!!!

What does your blood glucose level readings show?
@NewTD2 well done to you great news!
So did you get the answers from your medical team, and have they now confirmed you are type2 not type1 or any of the other diabetic types? K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I will know 13 Feb next year
@New2TD2 the little grey cells are not in full working mode,but they are in a state due to no sleep and bronchitis at the moment, I thought when I posted you that you'd mentioned sometime in the new year when you got the final decision from your doctors. But your doing so very well with your BG levels and other diabetic things it really will be such a shock to them when you get to see them whatever the outcome. Well Done I told you this site is the bees knees for help and info. Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on ! K

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@New2TD2 the little grey cells are not in full working mode,but they are in a state due to no sleep and bronchitis at the moment, I thought when I posted you that you'd mentioned sometime in the new year when you got the final decision from your doctors. But your doing so very well with your BG levels and other diabetic things it really will be such a shock to them when you get to see them whatever the outcome. Well Done I told you this site is the bees knees for help and info. Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on ! K

Thank you so much for your support I really appreciate it.

It has been 2.5 months since I had Ketoacidosis and when I finally found out I have diabetes. It was absolutely shocking. I went through severe depression, anxiety and lots of sleepless nights.

I was put on insulin Glargine and after 13 days my bg levels are reading between the 5s and 6s even up to this period.

Had my A1c test last Monday and results will come out in January.

If my daily bg readings are hitting the 5s and 6s, do they mean my A1c has also gone down?

What is your opinion?

Andrew

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Once a AC1 gets much below 100, the post meal peaks can have more effect on the AC1 then the fasting BG. So what are your 1hr and 2hr post meal readings like?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once a AC1 gets much below 100, the post meal peaks can have more effect on the AC1 then the fasting BG. So what are your 1hr and 2hr post meal readings like?

Post meal reads between 5.3 - 6.8

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the messages of support - Really appreciated!

Thought I would add that there are also a couple of majorly important factors I believe why LCHF and successful reduction in HBA1C worked for me.......

Exercise! - I have a sedentary desk job and I don't believe I would have been successful if I hadn't got more exercise in addition to eating LCHF. I did not have to join a gym, I simply make sure that I go for a brisk walk for 20 - 30 mins (About 1 mile) after every lunch and a longer brisk walk for 30 - 45 minutes (about 2 miles) after dinner in the evening. Probably averaging 5/7 lunchtimes and evenings a week. Any additional activity is even better.
I also have an app on my Android phone that measures steps and daily activity which help me to track progress and activity (Samsung Health) - I would recommend you do this too either with an app or a fitness tracker, neither of which are expensive. These will help you to do a bit more after a day you perhaps didn't or couldn't be as active.

Stick to the diet! - It might go without saying however I literally cut out as much carbs and starchy veg and sugar that I could. From January last year I cut out all beer, bread, pasta, rice, starchy veg (potatoes, carrots, parsnips - most root vegetables etc). I do not eat any sugar or eat sweets at all with the exception of very occasionally having a couple of squares of 90% cocoa chocolate as a treat.
Following LCHF is great because you shouldn't feel hungry as fat makes you feel fuller for longer.
I did have a few carbs while on holiday in the summer although kept it to a minimum.
I do not self test either, just weigh myself once a week at the same time to ensure progress although don't be put off if you weigh a couple of pounds heavier one week and are lighter the next, I found even weighing myself at the start and end of day could add or remove a couple of pounds. It's the long term picture you need to focus on.

Also here is my guide to Low Carb High Fat meals. These are typical daily meal options which have enough variety for me...

There are apps you can download and use for free that help you to count the carb content of your meals. It's a bit a pain to input all the food items at first but most apps have lists that you can choose from and once you add them you can copy them forward as you use the app.

Breakfast
- Two egg omelette with splash of whole milk cooked in full fat butter with bacon, mushroom, cheese and spring onion and a small sliced tomato on the side - occasionally added one or two low carb sausages (Tesco free range are good)
- OR Have a fry up using the same, similar ingredients as above
- OR Full fat Greek yogurt with sliced strawberries and or raspberries
- OR Two boiled eggs mashed with full fat butter and cheddar cheese and topped on a couple of slices of fried bacon
Surprisingly people aften ask me - Don't you get fed up having the same things for breakfast every morning? I always ask - What do you have? and the answer is usually - "The same thing every day"......Tea/coffee and toast or cereal etc

Lunch
On days where I have had a large cooked breakfast, I don't really feel like lunch although if I do I have....
- Soup (Low carb ingredients of course!)
- OR a salad I chop myself and have with mayonnaise and extra virgin olive oil

On days where I have a lighter breakfast I will eat ....
- Soup and salad - include an avocado to fill you up
- OR Fresh salad as above although add a tin of tuna, sliced ham or home cooked chicken
- OR Make a bigger quantity of food for dinner and have leftovers for lunch the next day

Dinner
Low carb dinner is easy. Simply have meat of your choice (the fattier the better) or fish with low carb / non starchy veg such as green beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, fresh salad, coleslaw. You can also substitute the bulkier carbs you used to eat with the following...

- Rice - Make cauliflower rice - shred up raw cauli to the size of rice grains in a food blender then microwave for 5 to 7 mins. Don't overdo or it goes mushy. Can also be frozen then microwaved from frozen. Can also be fried in a frying pan with added spices or vegetables and or meat for variety.
- Mashed Potato - Make cauliflower mash - It takes a while but can taste GREAT when you add full cream, cheese, butter etc - Boil / microwave cauliflower then squeeze between two colanders to remove as much moisture from the cauliflower as you can then add milk, butter, cream, salt and pepper then mash it up like mashed potato. This is VERY filling, especially if you add cheese and or cream!. It can also be frozen which is good if you want to make larger quantities to save time.
- Pasta / Noodles - We buy low or zero carb pasta and noodles made from Konjac flour. Buy online or in bulk from Holland and Barrett when on offer (They include these in penny sales where you can buy one and get another for a penny). Spaghetti, noodles or fettuccine are good - penne pasta, not so good.
- Shredded savoy cabbage fried with bacon is another tasty bulk up favourite and can also be reheated the next day for lunch.

Dessert - I don't usually eat dessert however if I do...
Strawbs or raspberries in cream

Snacks - You shouldn't feel hungry between meals however if are, eat.....
Pork scratchings
Macadamia nuts
Brazil nuts
Almonds
Occasional fruit - beware carbs / sugar though. Stick to apples, strawbs, raspberries, blueberries

Alcohol
NO BEER - It is liquid bread!
- Spirits are best although not with sugary mixers!
- Low carb slimline tonic with gin - Watch out for the popular Fever Tree Low fat tonic which is NOT LOW CARB! Check the bottle before you buy.
- Whiskey add water / diet coke.
- Wine - White wine with fizzy water or red wine.

Eating out
The key to eating out low carb is substituting carbs for a veg dish or salad. Most place will happily substitute chips or potatoes for salad or vegetables - you get used to asking.
- Curries - Instead of rice, order cauliflower bhaji or mushroom bhaji and / or Saag Paneer (cheese with spinach). There are also other vegetable options that can be eaten instead of rice. I will treat myself to one popadum when eating curry. The ready made ones you buy in supermarkets are lower carb than the ones you need to cook. One or two max. No Naan bread I'm afraid!
- Chinese - Very difficult to go low carb as many dishes use MSG or sugar. Avoid if possible or choose prawn / meat dishes such as stir fries and substitute rice / noodles for vegetables.
- Thai - Most mains are ok such as stir fries or creamy curries although again substitute rice for veg dish.
Italian - Difficult one although most Italian restaurants do meat / fish dishes which you can have with salad instead
- Pub food / Other Food - Substitution of chips and rice for veg or salad again. Burgers can ordered without the bun too. Why not ask for lettuce instead of a bun.

So there you have it - my LCHF guide although remember to watch portion sizes and EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE after every meal and more if you can!
Hope this helps anyone thinking of going low carb - Fire away if you have any questions.
Maybe you have your own alternatives / substitutes for carbs - let me know.
Cheers
Chris

P.S A personal favourite of mine is smoked haddock fried in a pan then add full fat cream. Serve with Cauliflower mash or Savoy cabbage with bacon. You can also add bacon to the fish before adding the cream.
A very interesting list - thanks for taking the time to write such a full one. The only addition I can suggest is walnuts. They are about half the carbs of almonds and very good teamed with cheese. I usually have small pots of chedder cheese sticks and walnuts with me when out of the house in case I get desperate for something to eat.

Reactions: mysteron

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Post meal reads between 5.3 - 6.8

The 6.8 is a bit high, however, given these numbers I expect you will get a good AC1 result.

I think it comes down to the “area under the curve” that has a BG above about 5, but without a CGM we don’t know the shape of the curve. (I am not going to do finger pick tests every 15 minutes for 3 hours after all meals!)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve found buying a Cornish Pasty, and then staring at it for hours to be really good for improving my resistance
Our new Warrens has just opened and this morning, walking through town, there was the most drool-inducing pasty smell wafting through their open doors - it shouldn't be allowed! Resolve seriously under threat - perhaps I should take up your suggestion @britishpub! (I can now easily resist sweet things, but savoury baking smells are another matter....)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The 6.8 is a bit high, however, given these numbers I expect you will get a good AC1 result.

I think it comes down to the “area under the curve” that has a BG above about 5, but without a CGM we don’t know the shape of the curve. (I am not going to do finger pick tests every 15 minutes for 3 hours after all meals!)

I’ll get the results in Jan

Thank you

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Btw I only had two readings of 6.8.

My post meal readings are usually between 5.9 - 6.4