I want to do Necastle Diet, But My Doctor No Support, What must I do

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wan to do Newcastle diet soon, but my Doctor not support it. He recommended to do "proven" diet. Can i start it without my doctor support ? thanks before

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Are you taking medication for your Diabetes?

The Newcastle Diet has been developed by Doctors in a university setting under research conditions. The participants in the trials have been monitored closely but many people do the diet at home using real food or using shakes plus real food. However, if you are using insulin or drugs that lower your blood glucose you have to understand fully how the diet works before embarking on it.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gusbudone I feel for you, I was in that position 2 years ago. Not only were my surgery unsuportive, they were **** right obstructive. I cannot advise as I am not a healthcare pro. Are you on medications for you diabetes? Any other conditions that might impact you negatively?
In the end I followed (ish) the 5:2 diet and dropped my carb intake. Looking back I wish I had gone for 'The Newcastle' but didn't have the confidence then. I have now, and may yet go down that path

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's a difficult decision to go against the advice of your GP because they will most likely know more about your medical condition than you do. If they've advised against it, rather than simply not supporting it, I think you need to discuss it with them and come to an agreement. But we've all been in a position where the advice from the GP hasn't improved the condition overall despite getting good blood glucose control - that's why we're all here. The guidelines on this forum quite rightly prevent us offering medical advice because we're not in a position to do that - that should come from your GP so no-one can discuss what you should do about your treatment. That's a medical issue.

I think many of us have started and followed the ND without much support from our GP. In my case, he was unsupportive but at least said 'Good luck'. I think it's important to tell your GP if you intend to follow the ND and to recognise that with the rapid drop of energy intake, it is likely that your BG levels will fall quickly from the very beginning. That means you must be very aware of the effect of your medication - your GP will certainly give you advice about that.

I suspect that many GPs have not yet seen the evidence in support of the ND and so they will still be skeptical. When I see my GP in a couple of weeks, I will be able to present him with very positive evidence and I hope it will change his mind. It's a personal decision of course, but I chose not to wait until the GPs here caught up with the research. I undertook the ND after talking to my GP, but also relying on my own background knowledge, the research published by the Newcastle team, and comments and advice from this forum. I think it's quite safe to do the ND as long as you are aware of the meds and how they will act when you reduce your energy intake. Thousands of people have done the ND on their own very successfully and I count myself as one of those. Good luck.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When diagnosed almost 3 years ago I found information about the Newcastle diet but my GP wouldn't support me in trying this so I went for eating 500 cals less than my body was burning. So probably about 1000 cals a day but with real food. This worked for me. How about looking at the 800 calorie diet? Will your doctor support you in losing weight? I also used a meter and cut out the carbs that my body couldn't cope with. It did take me longer than 8 weeks probably several months but I have managed to have normal HbA1c's for the last 2 years. Whatever you do will be hard work but hopefully worth it in the long run.

Reactions: AlcalaBob

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking medication for your Diabetes?

The Newcastle Diet has been developed by Doctors in a university setting under research conditions. The participants in the trials have been monitored closely but many people do the diet at home using real food or using shakes plus real food. However, if you are using insulin or drugs that lower your blood glucose you have to understand fully how the diet works before embarking on it.
i take metaformin now

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When diagnosed almost 3 years ago I found information about the Newcastle diet but my GP wouldn't support me in trying this so I went for eating 500 cals less than my body was burning. So probably about 1000 cals a day but with real food. This worked for me. How about looking at the 800 calorie diet? Will your doctor support you in losing weight? I also used a meter and cut out the carbs that my body couldn't cope with. It did take me longer than 8 weeks probably several months but I have managed to have normal HbA1c's for the last 2 years. Whatever you do will be hard work but hopefully worth it in the long run.
my doctor suggest to eat about 2100 cal now, how about you? may be i can try to eat just 1000 cal a day too

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's a difficult decision to go against the advice of your GP because they will most likely know more about your medical condition than you do. If they've advised against it, rather than simply not supporting it, I think you need to discuss it with them and come to an agreement. But we've all been in a position where the advice from the GP hasn't improved the condition overall despite getting good blood glucose control - that's why we're all here. The guidelines on this forum quite rightly prevent us offering medical advice because we're not in a position to do that - that should come from your GP so no-one can discuss what you should do about your treatment. That's a medical issue.

I think many of us have started and followed the ND without much support from our GP. In my case, he was unsupportive but at least said 'Good luck'. I think it's important to tell your GP if you intend to follow the ND and to recognise that with the rapid drop of energy intake, it is likely that your BG levels will fall quickly from the very beginning. That means you must be very aware of the effect of your medication - your GP will certainly give you advice about that.

I suspect that many GPs have not yet seen the evidence in support of the ND and so they will still be skeptical. When I see my GP in a couple of weeks, I will be able to present him with very positive evidence and I hope it will change his mind. It's a personal decision of course, but I chose not to wait until the GPs here caught up with the research. I undertook the ND after talking to my GP, but also relying on my own background knowledge, the research published by the Newcastle team, and comments and advice from this forum. I think it's quite safe to do the ND as long as you are aware of the meds and how they will act when you reduce your energy intake. Thousands of people have done the ND on their own very successfully and I count myself as one of those. Good luck.
agree, i think i will follow his guide first in one month. thanks for your advice

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i take metaformin now

The only issue with metformin is that you are more likely the get the side effects if you take it without a meal. However, the ND has one "meal" of low carb veg a day, also some people don't get the side effects even if they take the metformin without food. Personally, I would not let metformin stop me doing the ND if I was committed to doing it, even if I had to stop taking the metformin, but as I am not a doctor, I can't advise you about stopping drugs.

Personly I would say read the "8-week blood sugar diet" book and get yourself a BG meter. While reading the book cut out as much sugar and carbs from your diet, using the BG meter to see how much your BG increase with each meal.

One issue with the Newcastle Diet (ND) is that some people find it hard to transition back to "real food" after the 8 weeks and undo their good work by regaining the fat. Most people on this site find that "low carb" works well for controlling Type2, and that if they do the ND when they go back to real food, they eat fewer carbs then is normal in the UK.

If we wait until all GPs are 100% up today to the latest research in how to control Type2, we will all of died from the complications of Type2 a long time before..... So don't ask you GP if they support the NW, or low carb, just ask what the risks are with the medications you are taking, then you decide what to do.

Honeyend

If you are overweight your GP will happily endorse you losing some weight. I think you just have to be a bit less 'confrontational'. Most are worried about doing the wrong thing and the Newcastel diet is abit revolutionary for a lot. I suggest watching this,
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/life/dr-joanne-mccormack-talks-food/, for some tips on how to approach GP's.
Then just say you are going on a 1200cal diet.
I use MyFitnessPal app on my phone to track carbs and cals, so I do all real food, no shakes. It gives you averages for the week etc and its nice to see even with the odd blip that you have cut your carbs. The basic app is free.
What you have to remember is that the Newcastle diet was developed to prove a hypothesis and had to be the equivalent of a drugs trial, and it was comparing it to the effects of surgery, so it had to have very clearly defined objectives. Its only because it had good outcomes that it was widely reported and used outside the trial.
It may take you longer to lose weight on a real food diet, but its about training yourself for the rest of your life and learning to enjoy eating low carb, forever.
I do not know if you test, but try and get a kit so you have proof, drs like records, that your levels have improved.

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only issue with metformin is that you are more likely the get the side effects if you take it without a meal. However, the ND has one "meal" of low carb veg a day, also some people don't get the side effects even if they take the metformin without food. Personally, I would not let metformin stop me doing the ND if I was committed to doing it, even if I had to stop taking the metformin, but as I am not a doctor, I can't advise you about stopping drugs.

Personly I would say read the "8-week blood sugar diet" book and get yourself a BG meter. While reading the book cut out as much sugar and carbs from your diet, using the BG meter to see how much your BG increase with each meal.

One issue with the Newcastle Diet (ND) is that some people find it hard to transition back to "real food" after the 8 weeks and undo their good work by regaining the fat. Most people on this site find that "low carb" works well for controlling Type2, and that if they do the ND when they go back to real food, they eat fewer carbs then is normal in the UK.

If we wait until all GPs are 100% up today to the latest research in how to control Type2, we will all of died from the complications of Type2 a long time before..... So don't ask you GP if they support the NW, or low carb, just ask what the risks are with the medications you are taking, then you decide what to do.

This makes sense. Maybe I will try to use the method from my doctor for 1 month and then decide to use newcastle diet or not. I am curious, is it true that after their newcastle diet, they can actually return to normal eat with carb?

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did the ND immediately upon diagnosis, and refused medication. Told doctor I'd see him again in three months. By that time I'd lost 45lbs and had A1c of 38.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wan to do Newcastle diet soon, but my Doctor not support it. He recommended to do "proven" diet. Can i start it without my doctor support ? thanks before
I don't feel safe too but I'm on insulin therapy and betablockers, thyroxine meds too. I'd only encourage those on no meds but that's my personal choice.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My own version of ND in my teens worked for about a year. Then IR increased as symptoms of pcos became evident again. I was oblivious to being diabetic then.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
ND does help many lose weight. It seems the maintenance afterwards the biggest job for some.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You might want to consider a "real food equivalent" of the ND https://thebloodsugardiet.com. If you did the programme you would have support and the program has been endorsed by Professor Roy Taylor who invented the ND diet (he a Dr Mosley are buddies). If I were in your position and were doing a calorie restricted diet presumably to reverse diabetes I would give this consideration, as the author did have diabetes also.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would encourage you to look at the suggestion made by @Mbaker
This wasn't around when I was diagnosed but probably fairly close to what I actually did.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am curious, is it true that after their Newcastle diet, they can actually return to normal eat with carb?

A bit under half the people who do the ND seem to get normal BG, but we don't know how long it lasts for and what they are eating. Clearly, if someone regains the liver fat from eating more sugar/carbs then their body can cope with, they will regain Type2. The recommendation is to eat about 1/3 less then what you were eating before doing the ND, or to avoid most high carb food, keeping the rest of the meals the same as before doing the ND.

The long-term results are about the same as from "very low carb", but people seem to be able to eat some carbs after 8 weeks. With "very low carb", it takes longer, but while doing it, most people can eat unlimited food other than carbs. Low Carb also sets people up for what they need to eat long term so they don't regain the liver fat.

But we know with both options, that the sooner someone takes action, the better the results are.... You can also switch between the two if you change your mind.

For a very low carb diet in a book see "A New Atkins for a New You", for a real food version of the ND see "The 8-week blood sugar diet", the diet shakes for the ND diet can be bought at most supermarkets, they are about 200 calories each, then you add about 200 calories of low carb veg once a day.

Or just do "low carb" and use a BG meter to check your carb level is low enough for your body, this will give your good BG control, but on its own is unlikely to reverse Type2 allowing you to eat normal food. But adding intermittent fasting a few weeks after starting can lead to the reversal of Type2.

Remember we know that moderate low fat (hence high carb) calorie restricted diets don't work for people with type2, so it must be VERY low calorie and/or some sort of low carb.

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the ND immediately upon diagnosis, and refused medication. Told doctor I'd see him again in three months. By that time I'd lost 45lbs and had A1c of 38.
Great, you are true warrior, i think i must learn from you