I wish I could eat whatever I fancy and...

crazymom

I fell off the wagon for a few weeks and now back into the swing of things. Food is a huge issue that I am trying to resolve, its a lifestyle change that is challenging.

I get overwhelmed with all the conflicting information. I was wondering if anyone has a very easy to follow information re: Low GI Fruit, Veg etc.

Also how have people managed to reduce their Blood Sugars and their Cholesterol? Wuld like any tips as I feel I am getting nowgere and have so far kept away from statins even thugh my GP keeps harping on about them I want to reduce this through Diet.

Would appreciate any tips please thanks!

blackcat79

Well the thing is low carb diets tend to mean eating more fatty n higher protien foods which increase cholesterol. Mine has gone up ftom 4.2 to 5.3 in 3 months! My hc1 has gone up 2 even on low carbs. So now had meds increased only on day 4 but new pills r working it seems as had BS of 4.4 2day the lowest ive had since last May! Ive upped my carbs to 130-150 a day more walking etc n cut dowm on eggs etc. I can even have the odd choc bar n doesnt spike to much either how long these new pills will last i dont no or how long i can stand the side effects but for now i cam eat nice normal ish food just in smaller bits of course. Had pasta last nite for first time in 5 months n got a 8.2! Before use to get 18+.
Good luck on which ever path u choose
Sue

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Crazymon. Interesting. My low-carb diet in recent years has enabled me to reduce my statins gradually where I will be stopping them with a cholesterol reading below 4-5 whereas it was 5.5. before diagnosis. Currently it's 3.7 with 20gm of Simvastatin, so for me low-carb has reduced my cholesterol. I don't think there is too much conflicting information on food. Reading the forum over many months you will find that going low-carb/low-GI is a must together with reducing the normal UK portion size. Once you decide to do this, it's a case of reading all the shop packaging and finding out typical GI values from the many websites. You gradually get to know that highly processed white flour is bad news, together obviously with sugar in all it's forms including 'natural' sugar such as honey. This does seriously reduce your choice in the typical supermarket but you just have to seek out the best amongst the mountains of dross. This doesn't many that anything is banned but just keep the bad stuff at a low level.