I WISH they did not keep contradicting themselves.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I have had Green Tea in the past and whilst it is a nice drink, very refreshing without milk etc, I have never really bothered much about it's supposed 'benefit's.' It's just a nice 'cuppa.'

All Green Tea's come from the same plant.....Camelia Sinensis. It is just the process that the Tea goes through once it is picked that is different. Green Tea is not fermented so you should be getting more
of the active consituents as they will remain unchanged in the herb itself. A truly natural product.

As for making Tea..........again from a Chinese website.......making Tea:
Best water temperature for making tea:

1. Low temperature (70 - 80c)
Good for making young shoot green tea such as Long Jing (Dragon Well) or yellow tea (Silver Needle).

2. Medium temperature (80 - 90c)
Good for making white tea (Silver Needle White Fur), red tea or Oolong.

3. High temperature (90 - 100c)
Good for making tea such as Tie Guan Yin (Iron Guan Yin), Pu'er, Shui Xian (Water Fairy).

Low temperature water tends to be more suitable for young tea leaves while high temperature water tends to be more suitable for ripe tea leaves.

This from the Net:
Traditional Chinese Medicine has recommended green tea for headaches, body aches and pains, digestion, depression, immune enhancement, detoxification, as an energizer, and to prolong life.

Maybe.....maybe not......who knows ?

合肥話 :D

Ken

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
In diabetes it is the carbohydrate values in foods you need to look at as they affect your blood sugar levels. I very rarely look at the calorie content of food. If you reduce carbs then you will lose weight plus your Bg levels will also drop. How much you reduce them is up to you.

Prevention of gout Source: http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/gout.html#6

Identifying anything that brings on an attack of gout and not doing these things is very important.

For example, you:

* shouldn't eat foods that are very high in purines, such as liver, kidney and seafood (especially oily fish such as mackerel, sardines and anchovies), and certain vegetables (asparagus, cauliflower, lentils, mushrooms, oatmeal and spinach) - ask your doctor or a dietician for more advice
* shouldn't drink too much alcohol - especially beer, stout, port and fortified wines
* should eat a well-balanced diet and do regular physical activity to lose excess weight
* should drink enough water

BTW peas, lentils and sprouts are all fairly high in carbs so I'm not sure what this 'diabetic' diet is that you are on.

I'm not sure if you ever had the advice we give to diabetics but I will put it below if it is any use to you.

Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try!!
If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l........(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals....... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Sue/Ken.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ragner,

I drink green tea everyday, very refreshing and supposedly good for us. I shop in Holland and Barret for mine and buy the Heath & Heather Green Tea and Lemon Grass, or the Green Dragon Organic Green Tea, both are approx around £1.10 for a box of 20.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ragnar.
I was told to eat a certain way because of my recent anti-Cancer treatment. I told the Dietician that I could not eat most of the things that were suggested. So, I stuck to my diet which is as you can guess is strongly based on the informmation Sue and I post. It works well for us both and others say it has helped them immensely. Doing that never compromised my anti-Cancer treatment.

It does go against certain 'main stream' advice but that is what this Forum is about. Giving the information to members which we, as Diabetic's know works, and works well. If I had followed the Dietician's advice rigidly I would probably be dead by now ! Some of the main stream advice is good, but there is an awful lot which is questionable if you are trying to control Diabetes and also have other problems. You have to do what is BEST for YOU.

We dish it here.........as to whether people take it on board.......that's another matter. :wink:

Ken

Ragnar

Aye, sorry. I apologise to both (all) of you. I am just sick and tired of all the contrary information, even from different doctors. My G.P goes mad when I follow what the diatician says, and she does her nut when I tell her what he has said, and the hospital head of department can not agree with himself half the time.

THEN comes the gout doctors, THEN the heart/stroke doctors....

I have just measured and got 96.( 5.3mmol/l) (Na the calculator is some where on my adding machine. Suffice to say 100 (5.5 mmol/l is considered perfect.)

The other trouble is, because I am not insulin dependent, I have 6mg Victoza.....Liraglutid, which is injected in the stomach area once per evening, no one seems willing to give more than a cursory outline of what I am meant to be doing, diet wise.

Sue Morton

To help with gout try eating Cherry's or you can even get Cherry concentrate in capsules its suppose to be very good as it helps disolve the uric acid that causes gout.

You need to find a diet that suits your diabetes and most find that a low carb is the way to go. But its how your body responds which is why we have low carbs an non low carb people all that are controlling their diabetics.

I don't know what system you are using to test but on this site you can apply for a free Bayer contour meter and the testing strips can be got off of eBAY for 16.99 which is a lot cheaper and you get 25 free when you receive the contour.

It is all confusing but the food suggested i.e. white bread can't be good for you as personally i have nevr heard of being encourage to eat white bread or sugar seems a total contridition to good health.

Anyway try the cherries when in season and when not get the capsules - enquire at your nearest health shop and see what they have got they really do help.

All the best
Sue :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ragnar.
I feel sorry for you. This advice you have had from the 'Professionals' about diet is just the sort of thing I have had thrown at me for years. It might work for some but it definitely doesn't work for me and many others as evidenced by many of the success stories on this Forum. You do have to consider everything holistically though. It is not just Diabetes you have to consider, but everything. So sometimes as with my last bout of treatment, Diabetes has to 'take a back seat.' For the good of your health !

I researched like mad, read copious amounts of books, papers articles until my head was spinning.....then I 'took a leap of faith' and went my own way. As I said before it worked for me and allowed things like my eyesight to improve, weight to be lost easily, blood glucose levels to be reduced to 98% on target levels.
Carbohydrates are the most important thing to learn about if you are a Diabetic. Calories are not as significant as they will not improve BG control, reducing carbs does. With the added bonus of weight loss as well.

So, it's up to you who you believe.........we genuinely are trying to help.

The spelling Dietician is correct and is the earliest form from the French........the version with a 'T' is also correct but came in later, an Americanism. We have had this discussion before would you believe...... :wink:

Ken

ally5555

Yes we have a DIETITIAN!!! - me!

I am sorry you are having different advice and tbh i would not listen to doctors- they really give out some awful advice - must be something to do with the 5 hours of nutrition they study!

as far as the diabetes - you need a moderate amount of low GI foods and limit the fruit.

Gout - peas, beans and othe veg avoid, altho the bupa list is not accurate!

Some research also shows that limiting protein to two small portions is helpful.

Avoid over indulgence of alcohol.

And yes the cherries do work - tell all my pts to do this and it seems to help.

The calories - an average man needs aroun 2500 calorie a day - to maintain the same wt .

There were so many questions not sure I answered them!

Allyx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Ally.......

DIETICIAN........... :D :lol:

Ken x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ally.

I know that........ :D Why do you think I do it. :twisted: :lol:

Take care

Ken x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Maybe they were looking for the sign ........DIETICIAN.......and couldn't find it. :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The spelling Dietician is correct and is the earliest form from the French

Well mine has a label that says diététicienne, how many permutations can you get from that? :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Phoenix
Somehow.....I just knew you would throw a spanner in the works........ :wink:

I'm not even going to try. All I know was it ended in...... icien, hence the prefixes diet.....opt.....phys..... and so on.

I think Ally and I had a 'spat' about this in 2009 sometime. We called a truce in the finish.
I think.........well....maybe ! :lol:
Anyway she is on Holiday soon.....so I can call her what I like...... :twisted: ?

Lie down time again I think.......... :arrow:

Ken