Ice cream

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can most likely have real icecream made with cream and eggs, no matter what your type - as a type two I can eat real icecream too.
Otherwise you can buy what passes for icecream in the shops and use insulin to counteract your lack of it, as it will most likely be sweetened and thickened with carbs (my grandmother used to make real icecream so I am totally prejudiced on the subject)

Reactions: Ponchu and Domi0205

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a brand called Oppo that is quite popular on the forum. As always, test before and after. Enjoy!

Reactions: Ponchu and Domi0205

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was wondering if I'm allowed to have any ice cream and if so what kind???

Domi, you'll be fine with ice cream (and chocolate eclairs, and cheesecake and biscuits).

I see from your other posts that you're recently dx'd. One of the main things to learn in these early days is that T1s aren't allergic to carbs, we can manage moderate amounts perfectly well (with a bit of planning), and we have a different take on carbs compared to T2s.

With T1s, there's no need to avoid carbs in moderation, it's more a case of managing the rate at which they are absorbed and how you plan your insulin around that.

For example, if you're going out for a three course meal, the sugar in the ice cream is going to be slowed down a lot by the fats and proteins in the other two courses, so you're not going to get a quick fast sugar hit. The ice cream itself has quite a lot of fat in it, and that'll slow it down too.

If you're going to the movies and decide to buy one of those over-priced tubs of ice cream at the counter, it'll have a carb count on it, usually kicking around the 25g to 30g mark, so what you need to do is have a think about how much insulin you've still got on board from the last meal, and then think about how much insulin you'll need to cover the 25 to 30g.

If you're away on holiday, maybe you're walking around town a lot, doing the tourist stuff, so the exercise from walking might drop you a bit (or a lot, yikes!) so an ice cream can be a good quick pick up, and you'd probably need less or no insulin for it if you're trying to raise from low levels.

It's a constant balancing act, and, yes, it can become tiresome at times, but it's do-able.

It becomes way easier once you've been doing it for a while. When I'm away on holiday and have been walking around a lot, I don't really think about numbers or timing that much, I just kinda know that now would be a good time to fit in an ice cream or a bit of apple pie. It probably all seems strange and scary to you at the moment, but give it time, and you'll start to suss these type of things out yourself.

Good luck - it's scary but it's an adventure!

Reactions: Domi0205