Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
What are your go to when you want desert that's approved in this WOE LCHF/PALEO KETO I keep wanting something sweet sometimes after eating or when my BSL is low and eating FAT is not cutting it at the moment as well I cant tolerate to much FAT due to my Ulcerative colitis so looking for healthy alternatives to make something it may help me by eating a healthy desert then what I keep doing now. Until I become fat adapted. Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How many carbs are you prepared to spend on your dessert? If you want to be "sweet" then I think you'll need some, and I'm not sure whether you're really helping any sugar addiction that you've got going on...

As a T1 who is low but not keto, I'd consider
berries and full fat no sugar yogurt (berries taste very sweet but are surprisingly low carb). If you keep some in the freezer then 1-2 minutes in the microwave gives you delicious warm berries which you can combine with the cold yogurt - yum.
a square of Lindt 95% dark chocolate (about 2g carb)

Are you on insulin? When you say your bsl is low are you talking hypo territory? (In which case you actually need carbs).

Honestly, my experiences of cutting the sweet stuff is that you pretty well have to go cold turkey....

Good luck

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,. The easiest is to go for some really dark chocolate or have a few berries with some greek yogurt. I hope you will find that your pudding compartment doesn't need refilling quite as often as it used to and that most of those desserts you used to have are simply not worth the blood sugar spikes!
I have road tested quite a few recipes from this book as I was asked to make a 'cake' for my t2 father in law's birthday and know that a few people on this forum have also enjoyed the recipes:
https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/health...MIjpzosLGv5QIVxbTtCh3kjwPmEAQYASABEgLwhvD_BwE
I made the orange cake, peanut butter cake , magic muffins and chocolate pots with the latter 2 being the easiest to make.
It is also on Amazon!

M

Member496333

Avoid "sweet" if you really want to get here...it will simply delay the process even longer as well as making it harder.

Agreed. Indulging in sweet fantasies will likely increase hunger.

Personally I would just eat more meat, but that is, of course, a personal choice :angelic:

Saur

You could try Chia Seed pudding. You have to test though if it will suityou. I also have a sweet tooth. I find a few coconut shavings died the trick as well. I have on a few occasions have tried the low carb snack bars.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto chocolate mug cake. 90 seconds in the microwave, serve with double cream. I split into two ramekins, one for me one for the fridge, unless husband spots it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I work on the basis that if I can create and eat a low carb alternative, I won't want high carb sugary treats, and it's worked for me for nearly six years.

I eat small portions of 85% dark chocolate and low carb fruits, and use yohgurt, various types of cream. and cream cheese with cocoa powder, flavourings, etc, erythritol/stevia. to make sauces, cheesecake, mousses. and I use nut meal (mainly ground almonds or hazelnut meal) to bake cakes, muffins, shortbread... But there's often a fair but of fat involved!

low_carb_pud.png

choc_cheesecake.jpg

Robbity

ETA There are also a number of firms who make suitably low carb ice creams, e..g. Oppo, Halo Top

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask if your goal is keto in the commonly used sense of less than 20 g carbs a day?

if so, you should have the scope for a slice of keto cake, which often come in around 5-8g carbs a slice.
But i am afraid i don’t know how your UC reacts to nut flours and sweetener? Which would dictate whether that works for you.

i do, however, agree with the idea that keeping eating sweet stuff will slow your arrival into fat adaption and will make you continue to want sweet stuff, for longer.

am saying that as someone who still eats ‘sweet stuff’ myself, occasionally (very dark choc is a good example). But i have to admit that is mainly as a vehicle to increase my fat without going overboard on protein, so it is something like cream cheese with lemon and sweetener as a dessert, or low carb hot choc, with cream and erythritol.

In your situation, it really all depends on whether you can tolerate the nuts, or cream, and so on. Plus, of course, not knowing how much fat is too much, in your case.

if you want a way of experiencing a smidge of ‘sweet’ without falling for a full load, I can heartily recommend a thick slice of cheese with a little mango chutney, or garlic pickle, or chilli jam on it. Delicious, satisfyling, and still very low carb.

Reactions: ianf0ster

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try making up a couple of sachets of sugar free jelly with half the amount of water - I put it over a pan of hot water and put in 1/2 pint of hot water, stir until clear, then add half a pint of cold, stir to mix and then leave to cool a little more before stirring in some full fat yoghurt - sometimes adding some crushed berries. When it is on the point of setting I whisk it up to make it frothy.
It keeps in the fridge for as long as the yoghurt would have done, and makes a good low carb dessert that is difficult to overeat.
In my early days after diagnosis I used to use one sachet of jelly and one of pure gelatin, so as to reduce the sweet taste and alter my sense of taste back to what it ought to have been.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you want a way of experiencing a smidge of ‘sweet’ without falling for a full load, I can heartily recommend a thick slice of cheese with a little mango chutney, or garlic pickle, or chilli jam on it. Delicious, satisfyling, and still very low carb.

I hadn’t thought of cheese and mango chutney! Your post made me want to try it. Omg delicious! Thank you

BundyBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are your go to when you want desert that's approved in this WOE LCHF/PALEO KETO I keep wanting something sweet sometimes after eating or when my BSL is low and eating FAT is not cutting it at the moment as well I cant tolerate to much FAT due to my Ulcerative colitis so looking for healthy alternatives to make something it may help me by eating a healthy desert then what I keep doing now. Until I become fat adapted. Thanks

I have found a new sugar substitute called Monkfruit Sweetner the 100g macro nutrients are
Energy 115 kj / 27.5 Cal
Protien 0
fat 0
sugars 0
carbs 0
Fibre 0
Erthyritol 99g https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythritol
It says 1:1 sugar replacement but since I have not had added sugar for 15 yrs it's more like 1:4 for me.

I know make merrangs and my beloved Pavlova, which I have missed since being diagnosed Carb reactive T2.

If you like your sweeties, this is a good option.

I am still looking for a good 0 carb flour subsitute that does not contain nuts.

Rob

Reactions: annabell1

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
How many carbs are you prepared to spend on your dessert? If you want to be "sweet" then I think you'll need some, and I'm not sure whether you're really helping any sugar addiction that you've got going on...

As a T1 who is low but not keto, I'd consider
berries and full fat no sugar yogurt (berries taste very sweet but are surprisingly low carb). If you keep some in the freezer then 1-2 minutes in the microwave gives you delicious warm berries which you can combine with the cold yogurt - yum.
a square of Lindt 95% dark chocolate (about 2g carb)

Are you on insulin? When you say your bsl is low are you talking hypo territory? (In which case you actually need carbs).

Honestly, my experiences of cutting the sweet stuff is that you pretty well have to go cold turkey....

Good luck
Hello thank you I am on tablets my BSL when it is 4 or lower I start to feel like I am craving sweet things. I also founding that some days I can't tolerate the thought of eating foods but that is not because of my T2D but because I think my UC and when I am like this I found my body ican't thing of eating but seems to crave fot sweet easy foods I am not sure if it is a quick energy fix or being nausea's my body just doesn't want the regular LCHF foods but when my UC is active I found that is what happens. I am thinking of seeing a nutritionist to see if she can help me work out what to eat doing LCHF/PALEO/KETO./ I spoke to one recently and she said she could help with my diet but I am not sure if she can help me when I am like this. sorry I have a bad case of waffling so I go all over the place.

thank you for the tips on what to eat as well.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Hi,. The easiest is to go for some really dark chocolate or have a few berries with some greek yogurt. I hope you will find that your pudding compartment doesn't need refilling quite as often as it used to and that most of those desserts you used to have are simply not worth the blood sugar spikes!
I have road tested quite a few recipes from this book as I was asked to make a 'cake' for my t2 father in law's birthday and know that a few people on this forum have also enjoyed the recipes:
https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/health...MIjpzosLGv5QIVxbTtCh3kjwPmEAQYASABEgLwhvD_BwE
I made the orange cake, peanut butter cake , magic muffins and chocolate pots with the latter 2 being the easiest to make.
It is also on Amazon!
thank you for the link I will have a look at them. I agree with you regarding the spike in BSL it is not worth it so I thought if I had something to replace them it may help me avoid them more.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
You could try Chia Seed pudding. You have to test though if it will suityou. I also have a sweet tooth. I find a few coconut shavings died the trick as well. I have on a few occasions have tried the low carb snack bars.
i have eaten chia seed pudding but that was over a year ago might give it another go see if my body tolerates it. thank you for the tips.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Can I ask if your goal is keto in the commonly used sense of less than 20 g carbs a day?

if so, you should have the scope for a slice of keto cake, which often come in around 5-8g carbs a slice.
But i am afraid i don’t know how your UC reacts to nut flours and sweetener? Which would dictate whether that works for you.

i do, however, agree with the idea that keeping eating sweet stuff will slow your arrival into fat adaption and will make you continue to want sweet stuff, for longer.

am saying that as someone who still eats ‘sweet stuff’ myself, occasionally (very dark choc is a good example). But i have to admit that is mainly as a vehicle to increase my fat without going overboard on protein, so it is something like cream cheese with lemon and sweetener as a dessert, or low carb hot choc, with cream and erythritol.

In your situation, it really all depends on whether you can tolerate the nuts, or cream, and so on. Plus, of course, not knowing how much fat is too much, in your case.

to be honest I have never really worked out how much carbs I eat in a day when doing this WOE I think I focus on what I can eat. thanks for the suggestions having UC is half of my challenge especially to what I eat or feel like I can stomach especially when I am flaring. I think that is my issue and maybe why I crave sweets as well it seems easier to tolerate when feeling nausea's as well. so I thought if I ate keto/lchf/paleo sweets it may be better for my T2D but I do get what your saying it will slow me down to get fat adopted. I have thought about seeing a nutritionist and my GP recommended one for me that will support me in this WOE she is a natural path and nutritionist I though she may be able to provide me with ideas to what to eat especially when low BSL and or when feeling nausea's and only craving or tolerate that type of foods. but I have seen some before and they usually recommend the same thing and the same treatments so still thinking about that.

thanks for the suggestions one why is to try see if they help both my cravings and not cause issues at same time.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Try making up a couple of sachets of sugar free jelly with half the amount of water - I put it over a pan of hot water and put in 1/2 pint of hot water, stir until clear, then add half a pint of cold, stir to mix and then leave to cool a little more before stirring in some full fat yoghurt - sometimes adding some crushed berries. When it is on the point of setting I whisk it up to make it frothy.
It keeps in the fridge for as long as the yoghurt would have done, and makes a good low carb dessert that is difficult to overeat.
In my early days after diagnosis I used to use one sachet of jelly and one of pure gelatin, so as to reduce the sweet taste and alter my sense of taste back to what it ought to have been.
thanks for the recipe sounds interesting. I use to make gelatin paleo lollies I use to use the great lakes gelatin mmmk maybe I should make some of them see if I can found my recipe for them.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
I work on the basis that if I can create and eat a low carb alternative, I won't want high carb sugary treats, and it's worked for me for nearly six years.

I eat small portions of 85% dark chocolate and low carb fruits, and use yohgurt, various types of cream. and cream cheese with cocoa powder, flavourings, etc, erythritol/stevia. to make sauces, cheesecake, mousses. and I use nut meal (mainly ground almonds or hazelnut meal) to bake cakes, muffins, shortbread... But there's often a fair but of fat involved!

View attachment 36333

View attachment 36334

Robbity

ETA There are also a number of firms who make suitably low carb ice creams, e..g. Oppo, Halo Top
yum those deserts look good. and thanks for the ideas might do some research and also see if I can tolerate them.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello thank you I am on tablets my BSL when it is 4 or lower I start to feel like I am craving sweet things.

If you're on tablets (such as gliclazide?) to reduce your sugars then going lower than 4 is indeed too low and you need sugar to counteract it. But I would argue that you should see your doctor and review your medication if it's making you go that low, because you're probably on too high a dosage. If you're just on metformin then going low is probably not an issue.