Ideas please for a photoshoot next week that encapsulates the 'low carb' idea

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Next week I'm in London for a photoshoot connected to my low carb research .I have already done one this week and was quite pleased with a shot of me dropping slices of bread and a pack of pasta into a dustbin .Cannot really do the same again- ideas please!

Mushroom

I would love to say a huge pile of fat in the form of butter and cream but I don't think you will get away with that one!!
There is a programme on BBC 1 in the mornings at the moment called 'Rip off Britain - Food' which often mentions sugar. The plus point is that they have said that fruit smoothies are not as healthy as thought due to large amount of sugar (little fibre).
They also had a section on the high sugar in 'low-fat' foods but sadly couldn't quite recommend 'eating the fat is a good idea' and still recommended the low fat products as a good aid to dieting. (Slaps head).
Gloria Hunniford sounds like she has had a close shave with raised blood sugars and is keeping her sugar intake low but not LC/HF. My point with LC/HF is that when restricting food intake, it keeps you full so less likely to crave foods.

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Crushing a generic 'Wheat biscuit' breakfast cereal in your hand for the camera perhaps? supposedly a good choice for breakfast and sure some folks will report good BG numbers but the majority of diabetics(Including myself) will find such 'Recommended breakfast choices' a poor choice as a breakfast where post prandial readings are concerned.

Reactions: 4 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Some very good suggestions there, I've been racking my little brain but I'm just not creative, in the least... *pout*

Mushroom

Lol. Actually I haven't used my breadmaker for two and a half years. We don't have potatoes in the house as I was the one who eat all the baked potaoes. Pasta - my husband hates it. My son rarely asks for it now.
The other thing that 'Rip off Britain' mentioned was that cereals are high in sugar but clever marketing to make us think they were a healthy breakfast. The 'Men That Made Us Fat' and the 'Men That Made Us Thin' programmes were an epiphany for me. Clever, clever marketing by the food industry. The truth is out there, it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: 3 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have two tables, one with lots of brown food - cereals, bread, cakes, pasta, potatoes, processed high carb sausages. The other with lots of brightly coloured above ground vegetables, nice cuts of meat.

Show the difference.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
The general idea put about seems to be that people doing Low Carb eat just meat, fish, eggs and cheese....as portrayed by that tv documentary about Lc v Hc.... so how about shopping for lots of fresh green vegetables and berries (maybe at a market stall) to add to the protein in your (wicker) basket. Not just healthy for low carbers but for everyone! :)

Reactions: 7 people

Mushroom

Agree, Gloria Hunniford was doing just that. Just couldn't push herself to sanction eating fat in any quantity, as well!

Mushroom

And ... that programme on HF v HS was ridiculous. A missed opportunity. However, the deadly combination of sugar with fat was revealing and yes, that is modern processed food in a nutshell. Don't diss the sausages - I love my high protein content sausages from my local butcher. People might read all sausages as processed, unfortunately.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All the foods which you listed in your diet recommendation for your patients would work well.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look at our "What have you eaten today" thread - we have some tempting photos of low carb meals that might inspire you.

Robbity

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How ambitious can your photo shoot be?

One of the things that shocked me the most when I started reading about carbs and nutrition was the fact that livestock is fed grains to fatten up. And yet, we're told that eating grains is a good way to keep slim and healthy. I appreciate humans have a different biology from animals, but can we really expect to believe that what makes a pig grow can make a human shrink?

I'd feed corn flakes to a photogenic piglet. Oink oink.

Reactions: 7 people

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If practical I would suggest a myriad of cauliflower recipes as a demonstration of the variation of Low carb foods, purée, soups, roasted, pizza base etc. it could be compared with the standard/high carb versions.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest two photos of which breakfast is best:-

1. Typical breakfast of toast and cornflakes

2. Full English (obviously not with toast)

Everyone gets it wrong.

Reactions: 6 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two diabetics eating two breakfasts - one eating the "diabetic recommended" cereal HCLF version; one eating bacon & eggs or other LCHF breakfast - then a picture of their BG meters giving a 1 hour reading.

Given how the standard packaged porridge seems to affect most Type 2's, I reckon that'd be a real shocker result.

Reactions: 11 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
who will the audience be?

I agree smashing breakfast stereotypes is the most important for 'lay people.'

A crushed wheat biscuit in each hand trampling on corn flakes perhaps stood next to a table with an equivalent amount of sugar based on a bowl of cornflakes for a year?

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Rye grains couldn't be healthier for me: they allow me to SAFELY keep my HbA1C at a healthy 27mmol/mol.

Incidentally, I think people - GPs and diabetics especially - should make a point of NOT calling so-called 'breakfast cereals' cereals: they almost always contain cereal PLUS sugar - Conflakes included. (Shredded Wheat and .... edit: Mini Shredded Wheats .... are notable exceptions.)

Last edited by a moderator: