Ideas Please

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I need new salad ideas please l work all over and so lunch is easiest as salad. I make a tub with the following and it lasts about 3 or 4 days:

Bag mixed leaves
2 portions full fat mayo (helmans) into the leaves
1 chopped onion
1 grated carrot
some grated cheese +/- 80grm
1 chopped red or orange or yellow pepper (vary for colour)
tiny tomatoes a couple eaten whole

Occasional l chop some pepperoni into it but mostly not now am getting tired of it.
I have been spring onioned out
beetroot l am wary of l drop to much on me and it stains :oops:
celery l am not keen on
Forget spicy things l can not eat korma or even pepper as to hot

I am unable to eat yogurt it spikes me even the 3gram/100 and l like that but l have berrys and cream for afters instead.

I need some ideas to add into the salad,l looked at baby corn but think that is to high carb for the size packet and it would go to waste as hub doesnt eat it.
Asparagus l always think of as going soggy

Help l am getting saladed out and with work it isnt practical to have anything else l need variety

MID :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love lettuce, spinach leaves, chorizo (diced small), feta, peppers, cucumber, sun dried tomatoes :)

Or a courgette salad? Raw courgette in ribbons instead of lettuce. It's lovely :)

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I am not a lettuce or leaf eater hence the bag of mixed leaves l get variety of everything in and not to much of anything, but courgette sounds interesting l thought they had to be cooked?

Forgot to add l dont like cucumber

I am not the easiets of folks to feed :hilarious:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like bean shoots which are available in bags for not much money in Tesco. They add crunch. You could be a bit more adventurous and buy the mushroom stir fry bag. I know it is meant for a cooked stir fry but there is nothing in there that you couldn't eat raw.

Experiment with Blue Dragon sauces instead of Hellmans. You might find one you like.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not a lettuce or leaf eater hence the bag of mixed leaves l get variety of everything in and not to much of anything, but courgette sounds interesting l thought they had to be cooked?

Forgot to add l dont like cucumber

I am not the easiets of folks to feed :hilarious:

Doesn't have to be. You can grate it or do ribbons and cook them by lightly frying them. It's fairly versatile :) could add some variety.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

How about adding pickled onions?

The Aldi ones (Bramwells silverskin) are only 3.2g carbs per 100g . That is millions of onions.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about radishes, grated carrot and sugar snap peas? I rotate the protein content of mine with ham, cheese (try a different cheese such as brie, shropshire red or wensleydate with onions and chives), boiled eggs, crustless quiche and cold sausages. I don't like lettuce but will eat the mixed bagged salad. Another thing I do is to cut it all into small pieces and mix it together, this means it is easy to eat from a fork and you don't have to eat large bits of lettuce.

Reactions: 5 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What about radishes, grated carrot and sugar snap peas? I rotate the protein content of mine with ham, cheese (try a different cheese such as brie, shropshire red or wensleydate with onions and chives), boiled eggs, crustless quiche and cold sausages. I don't like lettuce but will eat the mixed bagged salad. Another thing I do is to cut it all into small pieces and mix it together, this means it is easy to eat from a fork and you don't have to eat large bits of lettuce.

I'm totally poaching that idea for my lunch next week!

daisy222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My favourite salad :
* chopped mozarella
* avocado
* tomato
*few green olives
*boiled egg
*salt & pepper
*olive oil

Reactions: 4 people

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love mixed leaves, bacon and black pudding as a salad (all chopped up obviously lol!). I know black pudding can be high in carbs, I think 10grams per pudding but you could always swap it for something else such as the boiled egg.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cubed cheese (personally, I like 'plastic' ones like Edam or Gouda)
Walnuts
Celery (I think you said you don't like it, but what's not to like?) Substitute iceberg?
Apple
Add some mayonnaise mixed with horseradish and yoghurt.

A great salad, a version of Waldorf. (John Cleese: " We're fresh out of waldorfs") :D

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or how about ham and/or cheese wraps? Iceberg leaves are absolutely brilliant in this role. Take one large iceberg lettuce leaf and roll it round a slice of peppered ham with mustard if you like and sliced/grated cheese as a further option. Portable and delicious and low carb.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love cold veg in salads, I often cook extra the evening before for lunch the next day

Green beans with tuna olives and hard boiled egg vinegar estate dressing

Roasted veg aubergines courgettes onions cherry toms mushrooms red peppers
- roasted in oven with chopped garlic and olive oil add some ham or chorizo afterwards if you want some protien

Roasted butternut squash with a little bit of sweet potato add some chopped chorizo half way through roasting

And I am going to confess to being totally addicted to cold Brussels sprouts! I cook loads and eat them like sweeties, they are nice chopped up with diced chicken and finely chopped chilli - I know I am weird but Brussels are wonderful!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I also have to have warm to hot food so salads and ice cream are/were microwaved just to warm them.

I can not see any squash being low carb?(please say it is l stopped eating it as l figured was high) and sweet spuds are definably not low carb and apple again not low carb ok small amounts apple are ok but take away from my overall amount as l am about 30 gram a day carbs.

I am trying to get hold of some growing horseradish to make my own l love the stuff but not on salad must be on a hot meal.

Celery has a funny taste hence not liking them

Hot scrambled eggs are fine cold no ick l sometimes suffer 1 for breakfast on arrival at my job if driven down in the early hours but have to force myself to eat it.

How do you stop your avos from browning? or do you make and eat at the same time. I have to make a tub of salad to last due to food making arrangements and to be honest an avo would never make it into the salad l am an avo hog. I just wont buy them except on special in UK it is a total rip off the size you get need a magnifying glass to see them.

Olives l did think about will get some when we go to Makro next time

I am a cheddar hog love medium cheddar,

Cold meats in general l am not keen on l like hot meats not sure if it is my cold food aversion l just find them
congealed black pudding only eat it with chips

But still some good ideas many thanks l will look into more thanks if the squash is low carb will get some but only hot not cold...l think that may be a stubmbling block that l find cold food is icky :-\

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to pick up my oily fish "doses" at lunch. There are loads of realistically single portion tins on the supermarket shelves; mackerel, sardines, tune, salmon, pilchards, and in various sauces, which are low carb

I grab a serving from the salad box, which contains a mixture of any of the following (depending on what looks best when shopping) - rocket, watercress, iceberg (not preferred as it doesn't last so well), grated carrot, red cabbage, finely chopped shallot, red/yellow or green pepper, cucumber. It is not dressed until on the plate, but if i have it with, say sardines in lemon oil, I,find no need for any further dressing.

Just turn the fish and salad over to dress the salad, and hey presto, a simple, yummy lunch. And as my OH can't eat fish, he has a cheese and biscuits fix.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Info on butternut squash hope it helps, I love the stuff!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/butternutsquash.htm

I don't go as low as yourself with my carbs I eat about 90g a day, As a very low carber I can understand that it may be too high for you, if you use a full fat dressing or one with acidic properties it will also alter the GL. I tend to look at everything holistically and I don't look at foods in isolation but more as "meals" - it may be slightly higher in carbs than you like but has a lot of goodness and you don't need a lot, as to the sweet potato I did say a little bit - maybe you could try the squash and test to see you may be lucky:)

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love Brussels too :)
I have them raw in my lunch, with raw cauliflower, walnuts, Brazil nuts, cheese, strawberries and one grape. About 12g carbs and delicious x

Reactions: 3 people