Idiopathic type 1 diabetes

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I dont know whats happening with my sugars. It seems there is no use of lantus at all. After I get up my morning levels are rising till I have breakfast. Shall I stop bedtime lantus & see whats happening in the morning? If i exercised, after a rise my levels drop. Shall I try short acting insulin after I get up rather than lantus? Sorry for so many annoying questions. Its really challenging to have my sugars in control:eek:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I would stick with the lantus and have some short acting insulin upon rising whenever you see that increasing BG in the morning.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am at in utter confusion. Before supper I took my novorapid & exactly 3.5 hrs later before bed, my BG 12.2. No way it can rise this much even aft 3.5 hrs. I dint have protein or fat much to cause a late rise too. Rechecked again, 11.8. I couldnt believe this high BG level & again checked in my new one touch ultra 2 glucometer. It showed 14.8!!!:eek::mad:
Whats happening in my body?! I went to bed confused without taking correction dose in fear of hypo. Morning I am 6.8:mad:
Now hate my injections, test kit;):confused:

I'm really feeling for you.

I guess this depends on what the meal was? Was it a good pre breakfast BG and the same meal and dose that you normally have but normally have no rise?

Miraculously sent via Diabetes Forum App. Probably on the 4th or 5th try :-/

debbiiee

Thank you for ur quick response spiker. I would like to try another long acting instead of lantus. I read somewhere that levemir peaks at 7-8 hrs. If so that will combat the morning rise right?

emikedbarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Initially when i started lantus it seemed that my morning levels were stable. But now its not. I think lantus is not for me:(
:frustrated:

Ah, I see you are deep in the process of driving yourself crazy!

Slow down. You're going to be diabetic for decades.

Let's see. You're on medication. You're taking both long acting and fast acting insulin. You're exercising. You are are adjusting your diet to try and gain weight.

Now you're trying to figure out which of these or which combination of these are affecting what.

Sorry, can't be done. The only way to clear muddy water is to let it settle.

The harm from diabetes takes years to occur. This is with consistent blood sugars over 140. There is plenty of time to get this right.

You really need to view blood sugars as an emergent property of bodily interactions, as such, any tinkering can get you wildly different consequences.

Answers come slow and too much tinkering slows it down more.

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for ur quick response spiker. I would like to try another long acting instead of lantus. I read somewhere that levemir peaks at 7-8 hrs. If so that will combat the morning rise right?

It's the twice daily dose that helps Levemir to manage the dawn rise. However split doses can also be done with Lantus. Which one works best is particular to the individual and how their basal rate curve looks.

Great advice there from @emikedbarker by the way.

Miraculously sent via Diabetes Forum App. Probably on the 4th or 5th try :-/

Reactions: 2 people

debbiiee

Hi:):):)
My last HbA1c is 6.8:p
I have also put on 2 kgs weight. This forum is really a great place:) Learning a lot of things..... Now trying to get a place in my college's throw ball team:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

debbiiee

Could you do me a favor? Leave as much of your story on my blog so other people might read it. Every little bit helps.

Good Luck

Mike
Hi Mike...
I actually thought u asked me to post my story here in the forum. Sorry i dint share that in the blog. I went thru ur blog. So many interesting topics there. Keep up ur good work:)