Idiopathic type 1 diabetes

debbiiee

Yes spiker.It occurs without correction dose at night. Even if I am not taking basal, this occurs. But without basal morning after i wake up BG keeps on rising for hours till i have brekkie.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like your overnight drop is pancreas action not injected insulin action. As such it should be adaptive to your blood sugar level, and would not force you hypo. Probably.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes an increase in your night time basal dose may help. However it may also be a dawn rise caused by the dawn phenomenon. You would need to wake yourself up to test during the night to see if it's a smooth rise (or fall) during the night, or a rise starting before dawn. Either way though the solution will probably be to increase night time basal insulin, and possibly to split basal doses into a night and morning dose if you are not already doing that.

debbiiee

Hi
My morning BG readings are below:

Day 1:
@ waking 134
After exercise 140

Day 2:
@ waking 130
After exercise 144
2 hrs later 116 (before breakfast)

Day 3:
@ waking 111
2.5 hrs later 112
(No exercise, also increased night basal by 1 unit)

Any comments? Shall I stop morning exercise?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What kind of exercise, duration, intensity? What are you hoping to achieve with exercise on your BGs? Different kinds of exercise have different effects.

debbiiee

Fasting below 80-100mg/dl is my target range.

Morning I exercise for 20 minutes. That was my routine just to keep brisk. After 3 minutes of warmup, I climb stairs & do yoga plank exercise- its strength training. Never more than 20 minutes, sometimes completed in 15 minutes. Actually i dont want to achieve any BG levels through exercise.
Evening I do aerobic exercise for 45 min & that always drops BG though not much.
I have increased my carbs a bit to gain weight.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thanks Debbie! The BG rise after intense strength exercise is very typical. However the strength exercise will increase your insulin sensitivity and will also keep lowering your BG long after the exercise is done. So keep with the exercise, the benefits are great.

debbiiee

I am at in utter confusion. Before supper I took my novorapid & exactly 3.5 hrs later before bed, my BG 12.2. No way it can rise this much even aft 3.5 hrs. I dint have protein or fat much to cause a late rise too. Rechecked again, 11.8. I couldnt believe this high BG level & again checked in my new one touch ultra 2 glucometer. It showed 14.8!!!:eek::mad:
Whats happening in my body?! I went to bed confused without taking correction dose in fear of hypo. Morning I am 6.8:mad:
Now hate my injections, test kit;):confused:

debbiiee

Hi
From my c-peptide test, I find there is a brisk postprandial insulin response, though at the lowest end of normal. But my beta cell response must be so irregular I think, that they are not the same after every meals. Sometimes with the same food, same time & same dosage of insulin I hypo after 3 hours & sometimes have very high BG. I find it really difficult to manage the swings.... My poor beta cells:eek:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am Monica a researcher student for Diabetes awareness.
I would like to know if you are willing to be interview about your diabetes?
This interview will be conducted through phone. If you are willing to be interviewed please email me your phone number.

This will be a documentary about Diabetics. Your words of encouragement to others will be highly appreciated. Thank you. :)
Hi Monica. You should probably create your own thread to make your request for interviews. And you should probably check with the forum admins first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
From my c-peptide test, I find there is a brisk postprandial insulin response, though at the lowest end of normal. But my beta cell response must be so irregular I think, that they are not the same after every meals. Sometimes with the same food, same time & same dosage of insulin I hypo after 3 hours & sometimes have very high BG. I find it really difficult to manage the swings.... My poor beta cells:eek:

That is a tough situation. The thing to remember is that your own insulin production is sensitive to blood sugar levels so it will not force you low. It will stop if your blood sugar goes too low, unlike injected insulin. So I think the best thing to do might be have slightly lower bolus doses and check at 2 hours, and inject a cautious correction dose if you are high. Normally you wouldn't correct on a 2 hour reading but you are a special case. It's such a tricky situation. Maybe other people have other suggestions but that's the best I can come up with.

Ideally would want to stop your own insulin from triggering. That would reduce the unpredictability and also preserve your beta cell function hopefully. Unless you low carb there is no way for injected insulin to act fast enough to prevent a blood sugar rise that will trigger your own insulin response. Hmm.

debbiiee

Hi
I dont know whats happening with my sugars. It seems there is no use of lantus at all. After I get up my morning levels are rising till I have breakfast. Shall I stop bedtime lantus & see whats happening in the morning? If i exercised, after a rise my levels drop. Shall I try short acting insulin after I get up rather than lantus? Sorry for so many annoying questions. Its really challenging to have my sugars in control:eek: