Idiopathic type 1 diabetes

debbiiee

This was in october 1st week. My doctor put me on novomix 30 twice a day. In the next 3 months my HbA1c was 7.4. And then i had frequent hypos often almost twice everyday. Previosly my c-peptide was very low. I got that checked again due to the unexplained hypos &'it was in the lower side of normal range. I stopped insulin. But my PPBG was higher which slowly comes to normal value in 4 to 5 hours. This showed that my phase 1 insulin response is impaired. Now i take novorapid before meals to compensate the postprandial rise. I have reasonably good values now. But my morning fasting BG is rising compared to bed time values.
Then my abnormal lipid profile has also normalised by following a low carb diet. This is my story in short.:D

Mike, really thank you a lot for your kind help to me. I was feeling a lot encouraged by your words. Also Thankyou spiker for ur valuable advice & suggestions at the right time of need:):):)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

debbiiee

Hi,
I have started on lantus at bedtime & my morning values are good. No rise after waking up:) I have stopped novorapid & low carbing doesnt affect my Post prandial much. Only after my supper, I find it increased, becos I am taking a bit more carbs at night. That comes down in 3 hrs. I know exercising mild after supper will prevent this spike also by experience, but feeling lazy atm to do that;)

debbiiee

Hi
I read somewhere here in the forum that high dietary fat causes insulin resistance. FFA causes insulin resistance? So shouldn't have carbs & fat together???:confused:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of things cause insulin resistance, but I was not aware that combining fats and carbs was one of them.

Although combining carbs and fats can cause weight gain, if eaten regularly, and in sufficient quantities.

Hopefully someone 'in the know' will wander in and set me straight!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all
I take lantus exactly every 24 hrs. Is there any problem if I take in 22 hrs one day bcoz of work?

Do you mean once a week you will inject 2 hours earlier? Night time or morning?

The last 2 hours will make very little difference but the first two hours (earlier or later) you might see some differences in blood sugar from what you are used to.

You need to be more specific about what you currently do, and what you are proposing to change it to, for any more detailed answer.

debbiiee

Thank you for ur reply.Every night I inject before bed, but as I had work, I injected 2 hrs earlier yesterday than the usual time. That didn't make much difference i think. Actually I am on lantus to prevent the early morning BG rise...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh good, glad that worked out. Worst case I suppose you might have had a bit of a dip before the dawn rise.

debbiiee

Hello
Yesterday before supper my BG was 164mg/dl as I had rice for lunch. My supper was mostly protein. 2.5 hrs later BG was 94. I had a dry dates fruit & a cookie. 30 min later my BG 112 & i went to bed. Aft 3.5 hrs, i woke up & checked 167! Then morning@ waking 124.... :confused:
Why a rise in midnight which came down at waking???:confused::confused::confused:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Debbie. You don't give any insulin amounts. Depending how late your supper was this could just be your protein supper continuing to raise blood sugar past the 2.5 hour mark, which would be expected.

Reactions: 3 people

debbiiee

Thank you for the response spiker. Went to bed 3 hrs after supper. 4 units novorapid i took before supper. Since protein causes a late rise, how can i cover it with short acting insulin?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the response spiker. Went to bed 3 hrs after supper. 4 units novorapid i took before supper. Since protein causes a late rise, how can i cover it with short acting insulin?

For a meal that is mostly protein try injecting after the meal rather than at the start. Or if you still have the novomix you could try covering with that. I tended to use a slower QA insulin for protein when I was low carbing on MDI (pens). So as your main insulin is novorapid, maybe use a slower onset, longer acting QA like Actrapid or Regular insulin for the protein. And probably test at 5-6 hours, at least initially, to check the dose has covered the bolus.

Reactions: 3 people

debbiiee

I have got another doubt. Sometimes I go to bed with BG around 200 mg/dl, but wake up at 110 or 120. If I go to bed with a reading of 100, am I prone to get hypo? I cant guess how the lantus is working, will it cause hypo? Only after starting lantus my morning values are good

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have got another doubt. Sometimes I go to bed with BG around 200 mg/dl, but wake up at 110 or 120. If I go to bed with a reading of 100, am I prone to get hypo? I cant guess how the lantus is working, will it cause hypo? Only after starting lantus my morning values are good

And this overnight reduction of 90 mg/dl (5 mmol/L) happens without any correction dose before bed time? Usually a drop overnight means you are on too much overnight basal insulin. But if you have some pancreas function it can mean your pancreas spent all night bringing your blood sugar down.