Idiotic person judging me!!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if I ever ended up needing insulin, my response to any one objecting to me injecting discretely in public, would be the one I used to use to my husband when he tried to make me feel in the wrong, bad, or guilty about something he didn't like: "That's your problem, not mine!" It not only tended to shut him up, but often really ****** him off as well, as he had no real comeback to it.

Robbity

Will 46

my insulin allows me to inject before i go out for dinner or somewhere i think ill be longer than 3 hours so i don't have to deal with these situations. nonetheless i prefer a private space to inject because i treat it like going to the toilet, i don't want people watching me going to the toilet so the same goes for injecting
Absolutely ! yes i agree its personal and private ,and perhaps there will always be a time when to inject in public is a matter of urgency , but to inject in public just to get a reaction from onlookers is completely unnecessary, and although Diabetes beit type one or two is a serious medical illness that needs to be addressed on a daily basis discretion should also be respected if possible , i have found that the diabetics i come into contact with ,dont flaunt their illness ,infact you wouldnt think they were diabetic ,they just get on with it !!

Reactions: Salvia

eabhamurphy

Yeah so annoying!! I didnt see injecting as being relevent to 'public or private' or whatever more necessary and I just did it whenever and wherever I needed to (on pump now)
I appreciate some people don't like needles, I didnt like them either when I was diagnosed and told I had to use them but hey we have all got problems, mine happen to be more serious than someone who doesn't like needles but is diabetes free!
I would almost take pleasure in making idiots like this uncomfortable by injecting and acting completely indifferent to their silly views at the same time!

Sent from my Pixel using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Absolutely ! yes i agree its personal and private ,and perhaps there will always be a time when to inject in public is a matter of urgency , but to inject in public just to get a reaction from onlookers is completely unnecessary, and although Diabetes beit type one or two is a serious medical illness that needs to be addressed on a daily basis discretion should also be respected if possible , i have found that the diabetics i come into contact with ,dont flaunt their illness ,infact you wouldnt think they were diabetic ,they just get on with it !!

I'll inject whenever and wherever I want to/ need to. I'm not ashamed by it. And I definitely don't "flaunt" it. If I need insulin, I need insulin. It's not like I pull my trousers down and inject into my bare bum. I just quickly do it through my clothes, and within a few seconds it's done. I do not give a f**k about anyone else's opinions or thoughts on it. If they don't like it, don't look. Simple as that. None diabetics produce insulin all the time, in *public* it's just they don't have to inject. Honestly I could go on and on about this. I'm currently in a hairdressers and my blood sugar is 18. I've injected because I need to. I don't give a f**k.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll inject whenever and wherever I want to/ need to. I'm not ashamed by it. And I definitely don't "flaunt" it. If I need insulin, I need insulin. It's not like I pull my trousers down and inject into my bare bum. I just quickly do it through my clothes, and within a few seconds it's done. I do not give a f**k about anyone else's opinions or thoughts on it. If they don't like it, don't look. Simple as that. None diabetics produce insulin all the time, in *public* it's just they don't have to inject. Honestly I could go on and on about this. I'm currently in a hairdressers and my blood sugar is 18. I've injected because I need to. I don't give a f**k.

Oh contrare..!
You did indeed "give a f**k.." It was a responsible correction dose action you took for your high levels.. ;)
..& of course a big middle finger to diabetes. & cracking on with life.

I've found the invention of smartphones with it's now recent cheap, easy, must have access to this technology for all, a great hypnotic diversion to the "general public" while I deftly deal with my meter & pen...

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I can understand it, I would prefer to inject privately I wouldnt want people seeing me inject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Chloesnavy , did Mr Angry ever explain why he was so angry about the non-issue of injecting in public?

I call it a non-issue because I can't recall anyone ever complaining about the several thousand shots I've taken in a wide variety of public places. He seems to be one of a kind.

I've been aware of a few glances from time to time, but no-one has ever said to me, oy, mate, stop doing that.

If people notice at all, which they rarely do, they'll just be thinking, that guy's got a medical condition, good on him for getting on with it.

My guess is that Mr Angry ranted on a bit and then his mum came down to his basement, told him he was spending far too long on that computer, and should really get out more.

My take on this question of injecting in public is influenced a bit by the fact that I'm in a busy pub on a Friday night where I know for **** sure that if I was to move away to a private place for an injection, someone would nick my place at the bar. They don't teach you that sort of stuff on dafne!

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I hate comments like that just a few weeks ago one of my friends from college said. How come your not scared to inject in public? I just replied because I've had it for 11 years. Once you've had it for a long time it becomes part of your routine.

(Not to mention one day at college back when I got bullied one of the bullies came up at the time of when I was doing my injections and asked "What you doing" I just said I'm diabetic type 1 and they were like "your stupid you can't eat that and threw it on the floor). (back in secondary that happend alot and people kept saying "your doing drugs or you'll get aids". People are idiots sometimes. I'll probs get more of these comments when I go back to college in September since there will be new students in my class.

Reactions: dbr10 and Freema

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chloesnavy
My take on this question of injecting in public is influenced a bit by the fact that I'm in a busy pub on a Friday night where I know for **** sure that if I was to move away to a private place for an injection, someone would nick my place at the bar. They don't teach you that sort of stuff on dafne!

There was always a heavily tattooed guy with stretched piercings sitting opposite in the sort of establishments I frequented.. No judgement. Just a quiet acknowledgement.. At most! (If at all.)

Reactions: Dodo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There was always a heavily tattooed guy with stretched piercings sitting opposite in the sort of establishments I frequented.. No judgement. Just a quiet acknowledgement.. At most! (If at all.)

Been in a few bars like that too, Jaylee, but this one isn't mad tattooed bikers claiming their places, just a very busy bar - move an inch away and it's I'm next, I'm next, no you weren't etc. etc. Running fine at about 6.4, so will just sit back and watch...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate comments like that just a few weeks ago one of my friends from college said. How come your not scared to inject in public? I just replied because I've had it for 11 years. Once you've had it for a long time it becomes part of your routine.

(Not to mention one day at college back when I got bullied one of the bullies came up at the time of when I was doing my injections and asked "What you doing" I just said I'm diabetic type 1 and they were like "your stupid you can't eat that and threw it on the floor). (back in secondary that happend alot and people kept saying "your doing drugs or you'll get aids". People are idiots sometimes. I'll probs get more of these comments when I go back to college in September since there will be new students in my class.

Lulu,

I got caught injecting at college..(This was back in the late 1980s. (This was using an old style plastic syringe pulling up from a vial at the time.)
Rumour went round I was a "junkie"... Lol, I had a reunion a few years back, they were all surprised I'd "kicked the habit".
Some of them got increasingly & embarrassingly unstable as the alcahol flowed that evening...

I did "predict" in a thread of yours a while back that these "bullies" would "amount to nothing."
Rest assured.
Time travel is sort of possible.. I know live in your "future." ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
When I was out with my little granddaughter ( she was about 3 or 4) feeding the ducks, I had to test her BS, then injected her. A lovely older lady asked, very politely, what I was doing and I told her about Grace having type 1, the lady was so nice and genuinely interested, she was full of empathy and asked if she could give her a couple of pounds to buy something for her. from the shop. I wasn't injecting myself at the time, my granddaughter's needs came first.
In 28 years, no one had said anything negative to me about me injecting in public, I have seen glances but sometimes when out with my teenager, she asks if I have done my injection, I say yes and she hasn't even noticed me doing it lol

Last edited:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

People are just idiots most of the time I think. With the benefit of getting older and having the condition, I find it easy to ignore people. People have opinions based on culture, past life experiences; and quite often, on no facts whatsoever. Why bother trying to argue with irrational beliefs?

Reactions: Dodo and JPTS

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
Even as a carer I have seen a lot of this. The way I see it is that it's my job to manage the diabetes so that my wee T1 can do as much as possible at school, but occasionally there is supply in or colleagues who I don't often interact with who definitely put their foot in it. I've been asked why I have to do a fingerpick before every meal, as surely it would be better for the T1 if we just 'let it be' as we already tested before the 10am snack! A lot of people seem to think that by letting things go (like not adjusting a dual wave bolus that has been set for too long causing a rise, etc) I would be giving her a better school experience -- I often have to explain that I'm 'meddling' in part so that she can enjoy the lesson feeling much better than she would if I didn't interfere! Not to mention the whole needing insulin to live, dangers of hypos/hypers, etc....

Reactions: dbr10

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Ha ignorance!!! I've had a work colleague ask me before if I should be doing drugs at work.....moron!

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I think we have all had interesting experiences, however think twice about showing off in public. I live in Australia and there is a serious political push to get diabetics injecting in public criminalised in the state where I live, I don't know where the pumpers will fit into this. It's far more complicated than I put in 2 lines, but that is what the impact will be. If you upset the wrong people you end up getting the laws changed against your favor.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I think we have all had interesting experiences, however think twice about showing off in public. I live in Australia and there is a serious political push to get diabetics injecting in public criminalised in the state where I live, I don't know where the pumpers will fit into this. It's far more complicated than I put in 2 lines, but that is what the impact will be. If you upset the wrong people you end up getting the laws changed against your favor.

What state is that? I don't believe for one second ANY Australian state government would dare approach that so you need to clarify the statement

Last edited: