1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Idiotic person judging me!!!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Chloesnavy, Jul 25, 2017.

1. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lol.

• Like Like x 2
  2. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Crazy, it reminds me when my wife used to breast feed the babies in public. Being the Dad, it was uncomfortable as I would tend to get somewhat "ready for battle" every time some one gave my wife a hard time. Funny thing is my wife was much more dangerous than I ... LOL. I've given my shot in public before (restaurants) it's pretty easy to be discreet. No one has said anything to me or called the cops on me yet - but of course there is always the first time :)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Odin004

Odin004 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good for you @Chloesnavy, what a fantastic reply!x

Edited By moderator to remove previously deleted content.

• Like Like x 2
    #23 Odin004, Jul 25, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2017
  4. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Apologies to all offended by my original post on this topic.
    :(:(:(.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

No problems Rower.

I feel we all got to appreciate regarding @Chloesnavy 's "FB chap" that he doesn't even know how his own body works, let alone Diabetes.
    He's doing "insulin" all the time in public... Just don't know what's ticking under the bonnet... ;)
    Drawing a car analogy. (again!) The only difference is us IDs do "running repairs" on the "journey". Where as this guy highlighted has not got his hands dirty. Yet!?!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I think we all understand the sentiments behind the comments regarding the person making the comments to Chloe in that FB message. We do have to remember that the forum has a wide audience, though.
    It is possible to convey our distaste at the thoughtless comments made to Chloe in that FB message, and our support for her, without identifying the person, and without resorting to vulgar name calling.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I need to check my blood sugar, or take insulin, I will do it, no matter where. Don't listen to them!! None of their business anyway.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. scorpius14

scorpius14 Type 1 · Active Member

my insulin allows me to inject before i go out for dinner or somewhere i think ill be longer than 3 hours so i don't have to deal with these situations. nonetheless i prefer a private space to inject because i treat it like going to the toilet, i don't want people watching me going to the toilet so the same goes for injecting

9. FuryG

FuryG Type 1 · Active Member

Lol there is some people who smoke in public and affect other people , anyways no 1 gives a sh*t or 2 about them lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. FuryG

FuryG Type 1 · Active Member

I would just leave a comment with (I’m done)
    They are on some next-level dumbness

11. cassie091

cassie091 Type 1 · Active Member

There is difference between injecting publicly and injecting discreetly in public. I have had type 1 diabetes for nearly 60 years and have been obliged to inject in public places but I always try to do it discreetly and have never had anyone object probably because they don't even realise what I am doing. My advice is don't flount it. Consider the sensibilities of others and be discreet about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Maybe the Op was discreet, or maybe not, she may of had a sleeveless top on or dress and people saw her inject, but at the end of the day it is something we have to do and no one should hide or be uncomfortable or embarrassed in doing it, The needles are very small and usually injected with what looks like a pen,so no big hypodermics.
    I do use my arms and other area's of my body.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ironf15t

ironf15t · Member

And so you should! Have no shame, i certainly don't in my 17 years noone has said anything, but if they did, it wouldn't deter me the slightest! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kyambala

Kyambala Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Next time someone makes a comment about you injecting yourself, ask them if they would like to try some. Even offer to inject them as well. Personally, I usually go into a toilet cubical for privacy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ailsa

ailsa Type 1 · Member

I went to a toilet in the restaurant of a hotel. The cubicles were full and it was quite busy. I went into a corner and injected into my leg very discreetly I thought. A woman came in and said omg what are you doing. I snapped back at her and said I was a diabetic and if I didn't inject I would die. At least she got a bit of a red face.

• Like Like x 2
  16. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I just don't understand people who don't like us injecting in public.

Our pens and needles are so small and discreet; it's not like they are witnessing anything disgusting or "scary". I remember reading about a woman who shouted at a man who was injecting in a shop and said that he was "scaring her son and making him cry". Absolutely awful; I would have been mortified.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

It's because you are 'different' . People don't understand so they totally over react. They don't realise that every one of us is 'different' in some way. My Mum would say that 'people like that are to be pitied' because they are so ignorant they don't know any better.

• Like Like x 4
  18. bigpuppymir

bigpuppymir Type 1 · Newbie

My retreiver carries glucose when we walk. Is this exploitation lol When you need to inject, just do it. Ignorance of people objecting to needles in public should get a life and let you preserve yours

• Like Like x 2
  19. dutchess

dutchess Type 2 · Newbie

i inject myself i think people are very selfish when they complain about a little needle don't look
    i don't stare at you don't stare at me ;) but i am pretty

• Like Like x 3
  20. sassycat

sassycat Type 1 · Member

The trouble is, everyone's heard of Type 2 diabetes, but most people are just too flamin' dim to consider this might mean that there's also a Type 1 and what this might entail. I vaguely remember something like this happening as a very young child (I was diagnosed at 3 years old) when mum just laid into them, thankfully I've not had to deal with this since. I really feel we need more education about Type 1, very few people know much about it at all. And now I'm (ahem!) middle aged I apparently have to be suffering from Type 2 - aaaaaaagh!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook